The Official RC Roundtable: Judas Priest Week 1: Subj: Angel of Retribution

I think IOfTheStorm makes some valid points and should not be persecuted for his contributions to this thread.

I don't have much to add. I'm not a Priest fan in the first place. Gave the album a quick listen-through courtesy of vh1.com and found a few songs to be at best... mediocre metal-by-the-numbers and the majority to be trash. I think it's one of the weakest albums in their catalogue, and it's one of those cases where I wonder if anyone would be paying any attention to this album if it didn't have the famous Judas Priest brandname attached to it. /end transmission

One Inch Man said:
Hate is too strong a word, I think meh to the e'er elongated "they're alriiiiight" is more appropriate. I do kinda toss both into the same boat though, yeah.

I'm a little surprised to be honest. With Maiden, I can almost understand it because they kicked NWOBHM off in the balls and then became the epitome of modern 'traditional metal'. If you don't like that style today, then you can almost make your way back in the family tree and ignore everything that's linked to it.

Somehow, Priest incorrectly gets lumped in with the NWOBHM crowd. They are not - they are also retro 70's classic metal a la Sabbath, Purple, Rainbow, etc.

Indeed, Painkiller was a kick in the teeth - it came from nowhere! All of a sudden they were touring with the likes of Annihilator and Testament and Megadeth, and the guitar work is just high-octane blitzkrieg bezerker truck love. That's why the world was blown away (remember, this was like their 12th album in!!!).

You should get "Screaming for Vengeance". It was released in 1982 when all the stars were aligned for the world of metal. Not only do you have "Electric Eye" and the title track, you get the god awesome "Bloodstone" which could have been written in 1970 but with an 80's twist. Shit, the whole album is near-perfect.

catfight.jpg

hahahaha yes!

Okay I've always really liked that song Electric Eye. Hmmm, now I feel gay and lying... ... . . . . .. .... . . . .

I've just skipped all the above posts, I'll come back to them once I've posted this.

On awaiting this album, I expected a continuation of the Jugulator/Demolition sound with a new twist, and the inevitable hark back to the older era that Rob Halford's voice would bring. I'd say I got what I expected, although musically there was more reference to earlier classic material than I expected, albiet without being a ripoff of it.
That intro to Judas Rising pretty much set the scene at established what was going to come. Nice to hear a bit of shit-hot guitar work on the go. The song wasn't perfect to me because it felt like the entire thing was an intro, yet those guitars and the shreiking powerful chorus make it a fine intro to the album, so I guess it works.
Deal With The Devil Stands out already as my particular favourite, and embodies the 'return to form' fuss. Classic Priest all the way. Then, of course, Revolution follows in another classic Priest vein, a 21st century version of United/Take On The World kind of songs.
Which I guess makes this the appropriate point to make the point that this album once again highlights that part of Judas Priest that has always been with us - their ability to refine their sound and keep themselves sounding modern (although obviously I'm using hindsight here) while still sounding like Judas Priest and staying true to Heavy Metal. I guess the Roy Z sound helps, though this still sounds like a Priest record as opposed to Halford or Bruce Dickinson, because the classic songwriting is their along with their new tricks.
New tricks, like two ballads! :eek: I prefer the second one, whatever it was, didn't seem so much like it was begging for radio play like Worth Fighting For. Haven't had stuff like that since the Killing Machine album (I'm not counting Blood Red Skies, power ballad!). Lochness is the other obvious one too, with it's gruelling length. Still not sure if it works though.

This is my assesment after one listen. I must admit, I have doubts about it's standing in that it didn't grab me in the same way that Stained Class, British Steel, Turbo or Painkiller does with me...whether this is because of a genuine lack of timeless songwriting or my unfamiliarity with the album, we'll see. Many Priest albums took their time to grow on me - I only truly got into Screaming For Vengeance in December, four years after I bought it! - so I'd say there's potential.

I would also like to say, that this album has had a surprising level of interest from my friends. One or two people looking into it that I wouldn't have expected to, and general interest from others. Megadeth and Iron Maiden are the only other bands who I think have got this kind of attention from my circle of friends, though we'll see if anything more comes of it...

Ayeka said:
I guess the Roy Z sound helps, though this still sounds like a Priest record as opposed to Halford or Bruce Dickinson, because the classic songwriting is their along with their new tricks.

I totally forgot Roy Z produced for Halford. So yes, this confirms the belief then that Roy Z should indeed produce the next Maiden album.

JayKeeley said:
I totally forgot Roy Z produced for Halford. So yes, this confirms the belief then that Roy Z should indeed produce the next Maiden album.

I wouldn't be above that, to be honest. I don't mind their current sound but that would be cool...

Don't forget Tom Allom being engineer in Black Sabbath's first few albums :loco: random trivia. Quite an impressive hitlist for producers Priest have had, I suppose...

I certainly don't dislike it more. Has it grown? Not really. It's a 7.5/10 (for Priest standards).

Like I said before, this is their "Brave New World" - it's a good comeback, but their next one will be better. Give them time to tour, work together, write some stuff. I bet you they release the next album next year already....

JayKeeley said:
I certainly don't dislike it more. Has it grown? Not really. It's a 7.5/10.

Like I said before, this is their "Brave New World" - it's a good comeback, but their next one will be better. Give them time to tour, work together, write some stuff. I bet you they release the next album next year already....

Yeah, I'm there with ya, I'm already curious to see what direction they take it next time around. As long as they play Judas Rising and Demonizer live I'll be pretty happy. Lochness would be godly, but I don't expect that to happen. Can you imagine an outdoor crowd of 10,000 (like we had in Houston) singing that chorus in unison?

:headbang: Yeah!

i agree ... it had the same effect on me as Enemy of God ... wore off really quick and only a few tracks stuck in my head.

The chorus to "Lochness" is brilliant - it actually reminds me of "Touch of Evil" a little which was probably my favourite song from Painkiller (even though all of them from that release are gems).

Oh and the guitar solos on Lochness are hair raising....stunning stuff.

JayKeeley said:

My thoughts exactly. I've listened to this a grand total of two times now :dopey: (like the aforementioned Enemy Of God actually!) ...it's growing. I love Judas Rising! :headbang:

I didn't read the whole thread, but I was fucking very pleased with this album. I actually think it was a stronger "return" than BNW was for Maiden. If another full year of touring & songwriting together produces an even stronger album, than hallelujah.