Tighest 6 string pickup for low tunings?

Robert W

May 13, 2009
I'm looking for a really tight 6 string pickup that can handle low tunings like A standard. Not really looking for clear note definition. Just more concerned with keeping the tone tight.

I'm using Crunch Lab 7 (it also has 6-string version), it's really tight (i'm playing A tunning, too)! If your budget is high, you can check BKP Aftermath.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I'll be looking into the Alternative 8 and the Crunch Lab then. Not really all that impressed with the Aftermath though.

Also please excuse the ignorance here but I'm not familiar with the difference between "tight tone" and "note definition"

Is there a difference? Care to explain?

I'm a big fan of the Gibson 500t and the PRS Tremonti Treble for tight, low tunings. I play from drop B to drop G#.

Watch out, the Alt 8 has basically no mids and fairly pronounced high mids as a result. I found it quite hard to get a good tone with through the regular array of tube amps.

That's what makes it perfect for mahogany guitars.
Not every pickup is for every guitar.
Crunch lab: not a bad pickup, but not really tight either, at least not compared to the sh6 etc.
Nailbomb, tight? LOL!!

the lundgren M pickups are VERY tight. i've had the M7 in one of my ibanez's and it was almost too 'metallic' sounding.

other than that, i disagree with lasse regarding the nailbomb. at least the ceramic version i have in a mahogany 7-string is very tight. more so than the evo7. it probably also has to do with the guitar, though.

Yeah the ceramic Nailbomb is actually fairly tight, the alnico on the other had is very muddy and not tight enough in the low end for metal stuff.

As mentioned the Alt 8 is very tight, quite EMG 81-ish. I've got one for sale actually if you're in the UK/EU?

Yeah the ceramic Nailbomb is actually fairly tight, the alnico on the other had is very muddy and not tight enough in the low end for metal stuff.

As mentioned the Alt 8 is very tight, quite EMG 81-ish. I've got one for sale actually if you're in the UK/EU?

US actually.

Maybe I should have mentioned that this is a basswood bodied guitar. The stock pups aren't bad, just wish they were a hair tighter in the bass response.

I am recording a band at the moment tuned to drop A and my ESP M1 NTB with Duncan custom custom SH-11 sounds tight and punchy.
I put a D bass string on for the low string. The M1 originally had an EMG 81 but sounds much better with the SH-11.
I have an SH-11 in my PRS Custom 24 too and it sounds much better than stock HFS pickup.
It is my favourite pickup. It has super tightness but has alnico magnets so is warm and not as harsh as ceramics.
I should be finished guitar tracks today so I could post a rough mix of a song later.
I can also post a guitar di so you can check it with your own rig.

I am recording a band at the moment tuned to drop A and my ESP M1 NTB with Duncan custom custom SH-11 sounds tight and punchy.
I put a D bass string on for the low string. The M1 originally had an EMG 81 but sounds much better with the SH-11.
I have an SH-11 in my PRS Custom 24 too and it sounds much better than stock HFS pickup.
It is my favourite pickup. It has super tightness but has alnico magnets so is warm and not as harsh as ceramics.
I should be finished guitar tracks today so I could post a rough mix of a song later.
I can also post a guitar di so you can check it with your own rig.

I'd definitely be interested in hearing that.