Tim THE RIPPER Owens joins Iced Earth!!! \m/!!!

Aethernal said:
But to the hundreds of thousands of loyal fans of his, he's basically given them the finger.

I agree. I wish he would realize that entertaining hundreds of thousands of people with amazing music is what gets people THROUGH tragedies like 9/11. Without entertainment to lighten the atmosphere, people would be grief stricken forever. Cutting his hair (gasp!) and getting a desk job filing reports on "possible" terrorists will not change the world...

I wish he would have thought of that before making such a rash decision...

I agree with you guys on Barlow, he was great and my fav singer ever. He's gone though and im an Iced Earth loyalist, meaning I trust Jon Shaffer, and believe they will deliver the goods as always. However I think your a little off with the 100's of 1000's of fans. They are still underground, part of the reason Matt left was to support his family properly. The guy was still working several jobs when he quit the band.

I remember reading in an interview that the guys from Kamelot make enough so that they don't need to work several jobs. Iced Earth has multiple times the fanbase, why would Matt need to work several jobs?

because jon is the main songwriter and makes the most money (and i think he still has a job doesn't he?). Matt probly gets next to nothign. anyway, about ripper, i haven't heard the songs yet (can't get the mp3s... damn real audio) but i am saddened by this news. sure he may be a good vocalist and if he sounds good on the album, cool. However, anyone who has seen judas priest live with ripper knows his stage acting is horrible... he looks like a dumbass. Barlow had much better presence on stage and i think that void will REALLY take away from the live iced earth show...

What I get tired of reading is why IE is "dead" now that Matt is gone. Get a freaking life people. Matt is gone, and now Tim is the singer. He is a great singer, and he is about to show everyone his true singing when this cd is released. People should respect Matt for making the decision that he did. He was not in music for you, or me, so quit whinning. And, have some respect for Jon, and his decision of getting Tim to sing. I think it is going to be great, and I think IE is on a new road of the metal world.

First of all, i don't think it's disrespectful to jon to disagree with his new choice of lead singer. I think being a fan without being a kiss-ass fanboy is the ultimate respect. (not calling you a kissass fanboy nckissfan). I don't think ripper will be bad for the band, but i stand by what i said. As for barlow, no one is disrespecting him either. I think people have shown the utmost respect to him by wanting him to stay with iced earth... that shows how much he means. I respect barlows decision to leave, but i don't like it at all. I want him to keep singing. Having a different oppinion than Jon does not mean you disrespect him. that's my 2 cents.

I hear where your coming from The Odyssey, I was directing my comments to Aethernal. Where he said that Tim Owens is a arrogant piece of white trash, and to say that Matt has given all IE fans the finger is pretty stupid. Showing respect for Matt would be better if you just told him good luck, and you hope he finds what he is looking for. I will miss him, but I am not going to stop listening to IE because he is gone. And, I don't think he has given me the finger.

ja... i agree nckissfan. i like tim, but i'm still disappointed. i wish matt the best, but i wish he would come back. *shrugs*... whatever happens. i'll still buy the new album.

and matt left i think june 2 (was that the date of the announcement?) and he wanted to get a job with national security... there is the assumption that it's for more money (iced earth can't support themselves on music alone, they all have jobs separate from the band), but i think it's due to him wanting to serve his country... somethign like that. That clear things up?

[size=-1]Sound files are unavailable due to bandwidth limitations. Sorry! WOOHOO!! YEAH!!!![/size]​

Ok, i know i have been ripping on the decision to get tim since i heard he was the new vocalist, but everyone saying that he was awesome gave me a positive outlook on the soundclips, so i decided to go and listen.

What the FUCK? That's not iced earth. i'm going to still buy the album, i'll say that up front, but i don't like tim as the vocalist at all. he has no emotion in his voice and does not do iced earth any justice. I think it's a shame that jon has wasted this opportunity. I like tim as a vocalist, but not here. I am incredibly disappointed.

Actually I been getting into Burnt Offerings lately.. go figure.. lol. Iced Earth has been SO very hard for me to get into for some reason, but its slowly starting to happen finally. Theres this thrash metal band here in Aus called Dark Order, and I just realised that their song "Moby Dick" is a bit of a rip-off of IE's "Dante's Inferno". So thats funny to me. (Also noticed the beginning of their album is a rip-off to Ayreons "Chaos"..shrugs..).

But anyhoo back on topic, Dont know much about Tim Owens personal life with being an asshole or whatever, I didnt think he sounded bad though. We just have to wait and see what happens to IE without Matt I guess.

The last 25 or so seconds of Red Baron really convinced me.

EDIT: Good thing of course, Owens rules!

lol no no.. im talking about a song that none of you know by a whole other band.. IE didnt rip off anyone. And the beginning of Burnt Offerings is nothing like the beginning to Ayreon.

I respect Barlow's decision to quit the band immensely, it's a much more impressive and respectful gesture than singing a song about the WTC; while many wished they could do something, he's going out there and getting it done.

Now to the samples, I didn't really jive with Hollow man too much, but the Reckoning had a nice old school vibe and Red Baron/Blue Max showed off Tim Owens range very well. I could see people not being happy with his voice, but i think he does it well, and provides his own distinct style, rather than trying to emulate Barlow.