Tim Owens(Ex-Judas Priest).....Joins Iced Earth

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
Former JUDAS PRIEST Singer TIM OWENS Officially Joins ICED EARTH!
Former JUDAS PRIEST frontman Tim "Ripper" Owens has officially joined ICED EARTH as the band's new lead singer, according to a posting by ICED EARTH mainman Jon Schaffer on the group's web site. Owens was previously said to have laid down vocals on the band's new album, "The Glorious Burden", but was not an official member of the group.

"Well everyone, it is official," Schaffer writes. "Tim Owens is the new frontman and lead vocalist of ICED EARTH and I couldn't be happier!

"There is no doubt that fate has played a big part in our lives in these last few months and I truly believe that this is the way it was meant to be. Everything happens for a reason!!

"Tim did an outstanding job on [the new ICED EARTH album, 'The Glorious Burden']. In 5 very relaxed days he nailed the parts, and I mean NAILED them, and I don't think I've ever laughed as much and had as much fun in the studio before. He is definitely bringing new life into the band and the future looks very bright for us as a team. Tim knows who he is, what he stands for and is very dedicated, and he's funny as hell, all very important traits!

"One of the greatest things about all of it is that 'The Glorious Burden' is a new beginning. I'm very, very excited to see what Tim and I can do together as a writing team. There is real chemistry between the two of us and I'm 100% confident that [ICED EARTH]'s best work is in our future. I feel like I'm 10 years younger and am having more fun than I've ever had before. I see us having a very long and fulfilling career together!

"The art is done and the layouts are almost there and before you know it the best ICED EARTH album to date will be unleashed. In my opinion, nothing we've ever done comes close to 'The Glorious Burden'. It is by far the best album so far, in all ways, writing, performance and spirit. It is now the way it was meant to be!

"On another bit of news my historical collectibles shop is now open. We are open Friday & Saturday 10:00am to 8:00pm and Sunday 10:00am to 6:00pm. It is truly one of the most unique places in the country. If you love history, art, miniatures, models, battlefield relics, etc.. you've got to come and see Spirit of '76 Collectibles. The web site is in the works and you can get a good look at the shop and a sample of our products at www.spirit-of-76.com. The site is being handled by Todd Brown and he's working on it pretty steadily so try to check back often.

"Look for ICED EARTH on our 'Glorious World Tour' starting in early 2004. I'm so psyched I can hardly wait!!

"The Revolution Is Closer Than Ever Before!!

ICED EARTH's "The Glorious Burden" is due in the fall through SPV Records.

From BlabberMouth.Net

Yeah, reminds me of the Immortal breakup.

I'd say Iced Earth is, at the moment anyway, old-school power metal (like early Helloween and Metal Church) with some remaining hints of thrash...they and Blind Guardian are two of the only real old-school power metal bands around. Most of them are either half-assed riffless Helloween wannabes (Hammerfall) or pathetic cheese-infused flower metal symphonic wankers (Rhapsody). Iced Earth is that rare breed - a modern-day power metal band that does it RIGHT (probably because they began as thrash).

~I wonder, this album sounds like another growth spurt for the band. I'm not sure that I approve of TimO being the singer in place of Matt Barlow, but I'll give him a chance to grow on me. He was pretty good on the 2 Priest albums, but I hope for IE he doesn't go too far in the Rob Halford voice. Hey what's next? Blaze Bailey joining Annihilator? I wish Iced Earth all the best and hope that they do extremely well this time, Jon Schaffer has worked for it.

Larf03 said:
I really can't wait to see the results... I think Tim can bring a lot to Jon's music!

That is if Tim can get along with Jon long enough to produce results..because Jon is a complete egomaniacal jackass who likes to screw people over.

I do like some of their music though...

Testament Legions said:
Heh, my fave band is sometimes labeled "Power Metal." I fucking HATE power metal!!!

They are NOT fucking power gayness AT ALL!!! I'd like to punch the retard right in the face that labeled them as such....fucking idiot!

I will never support Iced earth or their music, after what went down with Stevie D(and other indivisuals), I could care less about the band. In fact I am Anti-Iced Earth, Schaffer is an control freak, & has problems with everyone. I take it personally what he did & said about my good friend Stevie D. I don't care if this is their best album yet, I will not even listen to it, or see them live! I denounce what he & his band stand for! Schaffer is an egomaniacal jackass ,
MI called it........and she is 100% right........I've meet the Ripper & Chuck & Eric are friends with him, he's a good guy, but I feel sorry for what he will have to go through..................................before he quits, or gets fired.........that is the only choice Schaffer leaves anyone, & either way you leave on Bad & Ugly terms!

~What did he say about Steve?

~But of course he owns Iced Earth, just like Jeff Waters and Annihilator, and dozens of other metal bands with only one original member. Testament is Eric's baby, and if he wanted he could fire everyone and start over. Frankly I think Steve is better off in Testament, Sadus or otherwise. Like you say, Jon does things his way because he's been fucked over from all ends.

ChaosWithoutProphecy said:
schaffer may be all those things, but anyone who does not recognise the total PERFECTION that iced earth created in the song dantes inferno just doesnt have metal in their veins

I don't have Metal in my veins..............................now you sound like Schaffer,
and are full of it!.......................

Pyrus said:
Jon has a reputation as pretty uncompromising, yeah...but hell, nobody in the music business is perfect. And it doesn't make a goddamn difference to his music.

Like I said this is personal, & it's my choice not anyone elses...................& does make a difference to ME!

Akumojo Dracula X3 said:
~What did he say about Steve?

~But of course he owns Iced Earth, just like Jeff Waters and Annihilator, and dozens of other metal bands with only one original member. Testament is Eric's baby, and if he wanted he could fire everyone and start over. Frankly I think Steve is better off in Testament, Sadus or otherwise. Like you say, Jon does things his way because he's been fucked over from all ends.
Your wrong.....its not just Eric's "baby".....its Chuck & Eric's band, if one of them leaves..............Testament will never continue(under that name)!.........If you think Eric could fire Chuck, then you no nothing about buisness, contracts,
or TESTAMENT!...............Eric could quit..........but not fire Chuck. How about knowng what your talking about?................So its not the same, Testament has 2 original members.................not 1.... And that makes a huge differnce(especially in this case)!