Tim Owens is an official Iced Earth member!

Kalabalik

Apr 5, 2003
Belgium
Visit site
Posted by Jon Schaffer on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 at 11:43PM :
Greetings!

Well everyone, it is official. Tim Owens is the new frontman and lead vocalist of Iced Earth and I couldn't be happier!
There is no doubt that fate has played a big part in our lives in these last few months and I truly beleive that this is the way it was meant to be. Everything happens for a reason!!
Tim did an outstanding job on this record. In 5 very relaxed days he nailed the parts, and I mean NAILED them, and I don't think I've ever laughed as much and had as much fun in the studio before. He is definitely bringing new life into the band and the future looks very bright for us as a team. Tim knows who he is, what he stands for and is very dedicated; and he's funny as hell, all very important traits!
One of the greatest things about all of it is that The Glorious Burden is a new beginning. I'm very, very excited to see what Tim and I can do together as a writing team.
There is real chemistry between the two of us and I'm 100% confident that I.E.'s best work is in our future. I feel like I'm 10 years younger and am having more fun than I've ever had before. I see us having a very long and fullfilling career together!

The art is done and the layouts are almost there and before you know it the best Iced Earth album to date will be unleashed. In my opinion, nothing we've ever done comes close to "The Glorious Burden". It is by far the best album so far, in all ways, writing, performance and spirit. It is now the way it was meant to be!

On another bit of news my historical collectibles shop is now open. We are open Friday & Saturday 10:00am to 8:00pm and Sunday 10:00am to 6:00pm. It is truly one of the most unique places in the country. If you love history, art, miniatures, models, battlefield relics, etc.. you've got to come and see Spirit of '76 Collectibles. The website is in the works and you can get a good look at the shop and a sample of our products at www.spirit-of-76.com. The site is being handled by Todd Brown and he's working on it pretty steadily so try to check back often.

Look for Iced Earth on our "Glorious World Tour" starting in early 2004. I'm so psyched I can hardly wait!!

The Revolution Is Closer Than Ever Before!!

Later,

Jon

----------

:hotjump: I'm so excited!

I realize this will start a bit of a firestorm but I gotta say it anyway. I am not pleased by this news. I was holding out hope Jon would find a more suitable replacement, but hell, if he's happy then cool. I cant say they will be a band I see live anymore but I will listen to their stuff still. Its just sad that they will sound so much like everyone else now. I mean Ripper has a great voice, dont get me wrong, but he isnt the type of voice to fit Iced Earth. I didnt want another Matt, as that was impossible, but I wanted someone good. Oh well, such is life.

We have only heard Ripper singing high stuff in IE so far, wait until you hear him do the heavier lower vocals before deciding he isnt good enough :)

Why even bother making judgement right now?? It makes no sense. Owens is an amazing vocalist, to say he's not is saying that Rob Halford is not an amazing vocalist! Of course, therein lies the possible problem! Owens can sing in a low- to mid-range style, but will he? We've already heard him do his Judas Priest shit on "The Reckoning" and whereas the songs sounds good, does it sound like Iced Earth? No, it sounds like Jon joined Judas Priest.

Owens is quite capable, but he needs to realize this is NOT Judas Priest! He needs to keep that high-pitched shit to a minimum like Matt did. I don't know...I'm excited because I know Owens can handle it, and he's a great singer, but I'm also worried that he's going to just make Iced Earth sound like a Judas Priest clone and this is at a time when Iced Earth are at their most popular so I'd hate to see them fuck it up.

Hopefully this album will have an identity of it's own outside of old Iced Earth with Matt and Judas Priest.

Well I think we can judge. Its not like the rest of the album is gonna sound completely different than the three soundclips we've heard. thats how the album will be sounding.

Completely agree about high vox. I dont wanna hear Ripper do Damien. The screams will all sounds like Judas Priest.

Iced In Flames said:
Well I think we can judge. Its not like the rest of the album is gonna sound completely different than the three soundclips we've heard. thats how the album will be sounding.

Completely agree about high vox. I dont wanna hear Ripper do Damien. The screams will all sounds like Judas Priest.
Well, I don't think we can judge on those three songs. If I were to judge then I wouldn't think the album will sound bad at all. Sure, on "The Reckoning" he's riding the Ron Halford cock the whole song, but on "Hollow Man" and "Red Baron" he alternates between Barlow styled singing and the upper register stuff (like early Iced Earth). If he can manage that, and mix it well throughout the album I think they'll be fine. If he goes overboard with the high-pitched shit the entire album then I'll be disappointed.

I am happy they have a new singer but I am not too thrilled with the choice.Personally I don't like the way Tim sings but this might change when I listen to the album.

Well, Jon said Ripper banged out the vocals in 5 days. Before he officially left Priest. Jon says it's dead on so we will see. Now that Ripper is in full time, im sure he's going over their catalogue will study it and put his own style on the past and future of Iced Earth. Maybe TGB was rushed a bit and Jon told him to do what he does in Priest.