Time-aligning guitar DI tracks

how often do you guys do this? I mean, suppose you are recording a riff and keep messing one or two notes slightly out of tempo and no matter how many takes you make you keep fucking up in at least one note, would you do it then or just keep practicing? I am asking this because I realized I have some timing issues, which I found out when I began recording myself. Here's an example of what I am saying, please ignore the verse and bridge riffs, I know there are some notes off but was too lazy to fix them (will do later), check the leads on the final riff: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1643345/str...the duskfall - striving to have nothing 5.mp3

How off is that?

how often do you guys do this? I mean, suppose you are recording a riff and keep messing one or two notes slightly out of tempo and no matter how many takes you make you keep fucking up in at least one note, would you do it then or just keep practicing? I am asking this because I realized I have some timing issues, which I found out when I began recording myself. Here's an example of what I am saying, please ignore the verse and bridge riffs, I know there are some notes off but was too lazy to fix them (will do later), check the leads on the final riff: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1643345/str...the duskfall - striving to have nothing 5.mp3

How off is that?

The leads at the end sounded pretty good to me, I would say they are tight enough to sound good. If you are really worried about it though, you can use the cut/move/crossfade thing to get it perfect.

How often the technique is used is heavily dependent on the performer. If the dude is sloppy and it's taking a LONG time to track his stuff, I might be more inclined to cut and move things where they should be. However, it can also be too much hassle to even be worth it, in which case I'd tell the dude he needs to practice more on his own time and come back when he's got it down.

exactly. this technique really doesnt work that well for fixing a sloppy performance. I hate when musicians expect you to fix a sloppy performance rather than spending the extra time doing it right.

the tools are only for making an awesome performance absolutely flawless. If you are spending too much time getting it to sound good, you should be trying to get a better performance.

works with elastic audio, works better with BD.
I'm only doing it when I get poorly recorded outside tracks and have the budget to fix them......so actually never, lol.
Usually I'll just focus on the part until it's recorded tightly enough.

works with elastic audio, works better with BD.
I'm only doing it when I get poorly recorded outside tracks and have the budget to fix them......so actually never, lol.
Usually I'll just focus on the part until it's recorded tightly enough.

ZING!

i do it for every single band....some more than others(the better the guitar players, the less i use it).
I usually use Waves Time Shifter in conjunction with TCE to stretch/compress notes. I've recently started experimenting with elastic audio and that seems to be a bit quicker/easier to work with.

I've become a much bigger fan of telling people to play it better.

+1000
I spend 8 hours of tracking last weekend for try to get best tight guitar track (exactly on grid) and now I'm really anal about this. Nazi guitar tracking for the win:lol:

The problem is when you have limited time. You can't teach to every lamer guitarist how to play (also because they don't want to learn, they already know everything at 17)...so you try to record the best performance possible and check the tracks in the editing phase

that works well for some guitarist i record, but alot of them are so sloppy that i have to piece together riffs by hand, and it's the most annoying thing ever.

i hate making crappy bands sound legit, but it's what i get paid to do:)

I understand where you're coming from....
though in that case it's usually faster to just replay it yourself (assuming you're a guitarist) and get a better result in a shorter time

I have to admit that I do this quite a bit. The only reason I don't spend a whole day recording my guitar tracks is because I have fucked up my arms a bit with RSI, so I can't actually spend days or like 17 hours playing non-stop :mad:

I would if I could but I just can't.