time expansion plugin

daemon097

Nov 12, 2003
southern california
Visit site
So - I know Pro-Tools has the ability to stretch out certain parts to make them fit together (I think it's called time expansion...or something like that..)

Is anybody aware of any plugin outside of Pro-Tools that can offer that sort of functionality?

Im pretty sure there was something in Cool edit pro v2 that can do it. The problem with that is you get artifacts and it'll most prolly end up sounding shit.

grrrrrr time stretching..........it has to be very tight and well sounding. I am still stuck with cool edit 1.1....it works well enough.

In my experience, the best sounding time expansion/compression is in ProTools 5 and up. Its there in Nuendo and Sonar that I use, but it doesn't come close. By no means does this sway me in any manner towards digidesign though.

Hi guys - thanks for the responses..

So - Kevin - where is it in Nuendo? I know the interfaces for Cubase SX 2.0 and Nuendo are very similar...maybe it's in the same place in Cubase as it is in Nuendo.

Yes...I think I can only avoid Pro-Tools for so long.

On a Pro-Tools side note - does anyone know the differences between Pro-Tools LE and TDM software products? I know they look very similar, but are there certain features the TDM software package has that the LE doesn't?

t

daemon097 said:
On a Pro-Tools side note - does anyone know the differences between Pro-Tools LE and TDM software products? I know they look very similar, but are there certain features the TDM software package has that the LE doesn't?

t
There are alot of difference. The software acts basically the same, but TDM systems have functions like beat detective that LE lacks. The idea behind TDM is that the majority of the processing occurs on the PCI cards and does not tax the host sytem. You can run a TDM system comfortabley on a much slower computer than an LE system b/c w/ LE your computer is doing all of the audio processing and fx. While the mix engine is supposed to be the same I have found the TDM engines to be much more responsive to fader moves and such. Also, with Le you have your choice of 3 different interfaces (4 if you count the now defunct 001) but with TDM shit you start with a PCI card and there are several different interfaces to choose from and mix and match. If you go to www.digidesign.com they detail all the differences. The bottom line is TDM systems are much better systems if you you have at least $7k to drop on your DAW.