Time for a Name Change?

Name Change?

• +1

Votes: 4 5.5%

Votes: 67 91.8%
  • Depends on the new album

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
I believe nowadays Opeth no longer represent the quality, nor the artistic vision of the original Opeth, therefore, a name change could very well be in order.

huh!?
are you talking about GR?
lets say you do, because of one album they now arent representing quality and artistic vision?

I believe nowadays Opeth no longer represent the quality, nor the artistic vision of the original Opeth, therefore, a name change could very well be in order.

You're gonna get a keelhauling followed by a live gutting on international TV.

huh!?
are you talking about GR?
lets say you do, because of one album they now arent representing quality and artistic vision?

In my opinion, they haven't done anything note-worthy since "Still Life", and even that showed signs of the decline. As for artistic vision, well, that really doesn't even need explaining! :p

Crimson Velvet:
dont be surprised tomorrow morning when youll be hanged from the tallest tree in your continent.
no artistic vision? WTF!? where the hell have you been when BWP came out!? and why are you still in there!?

Well, it didn't show the same progress in music direction as previous albums; it was a twist of the ideas shown on "MAYH". Still, an excellent album, but it is evident that they started losing momentum at this point.

The same could be said for Orchid and Morningrise then. I think Still Life is quite a progression from MAYH (fair enough, not as much as MR > MAYH), it's more complex, layered and 'progressive', imo. BWP is excellent too, also quite a progression from SL, a lot of fresh ideas, and definately no lack of 'artistic vision', or whatever you wanna call it.

I think MAYH/SL/BWP was their prime, and none of those albums show any sign of declining quality, I think.

Hmm maybe we should make a thread like the one in the In Flames forum, putting Opeth into 3 periods of their work...1st period:Orchid and Morningrise,
2nd period:MAYH, Still Life, BWP and 3rd period:Deliverance, Damnation, and GR...

The same could be said for Orchid and Morningrise then. I think Still Life is quite a progression from MAYH (fair enough, not as much as MR > MAYH), it's more complex, layered and 'progressive', imo. BWP is excellent too, also quite a progression from SL, a lot of fresh ideas, and definately no lack of 'artistic vision', or whatever you wanna call it.

I think MAYH/SL/BWP was their prime, and none of those albums show any sign of declining quality, I think.

Orchid and Moningrise is vastly different, if you only look beyond the obvious aesthetic similarities (vocals, acoustics and production, if I remember correctly). The song writing took a massive leap, in that they went from being disjointed and immature, to the more predictable but structured, "using each riff once before moving on" setup that they had on Morningrise.

And I'll agree that "Still Life" is by no means a carbon copy, and a very nice little album in its own right. It's just that The 'Peth had already found their sound at this point, and weren't going out of their way to progress, like they had in their past. And this is, in my humble opinion, even more obvious on BWP. I'm not saying it is bad, per say, it's just not as interesting or fresh as their earlier outputs.