Time for an Introduction: Afterlife

AnvilSnake said:
In my opinion, I believe that religion is our main cause of, not only war, but strong conflicts.

No one would disagree on that! Religious belief destroys the Earth because people who have belief in God think that He will sort out the problems with the environment and that anyway the Earth's resources were put there for man's own use.

AnvilSnake said:
In my opinion, I believe that religion is our main cause of, not only war, but strong conflicts.

Norsemaiden said:
No one would disagree on that! Religious belief destroys the Earth because people who have belief in God think that He will sort out the problems with the environment and that anyway the Earth's resources were put there for man's own use.

I agree wholeheartedly. I also despise how religion sexually descriminates as well. Utterly repulsive.

Here's a question though: religion and spirituality? Are they the same? I think not.

Definately not.

Spirituality is a personal individual thing. It is based on whatever you want it to be, you worship what makes you at peace with your life and the world. Or do what helps you through life and keeps you happy. It is not forced on other people and is limited to yourself. It will rarely cause trouble, unless you spiritualy believe in killing small children for example.

Religion, or more specifically organised religion is something of a mass means of achieving spirituality. It is also based on one person's belief and is forced onto everyone else. It is not individual and is more often used or believed to be a means of brainwashing for control rather thasn a way to be at peace with oneself. Whilst some christians will argue they are spiritual through their own ideas they are still following the herd, being told what to believe, what is wrong or right. In Islam they are being told what to hate, what to like, how to treat women.

The only religion i don't really have trouble with i Bhuddism. I see it more as a lifestyle that a religion to follow. Whilst it does have similar ways and means to other religions (it has a god/prophet, it has prayer rituals), it is more an individual thing, it is much more spiritual to yourself.

Can a realist be spiritual? I am not sure that I understand spirituality, because it seems rather like some kind of self-delusion that makes a person feel good in some way. I'm not knocking it, but if that assumption is right, then, as a realist, I would see it as something of a barrier to interraction in a logical way with the real world.
It is still possible for a realist to feel intense emotions like love, and sense of awe at the beauty of nature or sublimely good music and similar feelings which are often called "spiritual", and yet that term sounds too much like an unreal and imaginary thing and thus dubious.

Final_Product said:
it's commonly associated with just being "more" of this real you have referred to. Not detatched or seperate, just more.
Oh I'm probably spiritual without knowing it then! But it will be something to do with brain chemistry rather than an entity outside of biology - that is if spirituality can be rationalised....?

Spirituality may be a delusion, however there is to some extent that you know there is something more than your physical self. Spirituality can unfortunately be a description for things such as your subconcious, or your emotions, which then leads people to believe that there is some sort of power that controls those aspects of themselves. Yes, I'm throwing that 'out on a limb'.

Spirituality is basically being 'one' with 'one's self'. To be aware of life around you and to see yourself from another's eyes, is what I truely believe to be life enhancing. If you can see yourself from another's perspective, and better yourself by doing so, I believe that to be the true meaning of my spirituality. Obviously my version of spirituality isn't going to be alike to any other person, however I believe that for anyone to do such things, will definately give them a push in the right direction.

Anyways, I gotta stop drinking right now, I'm too drunk for all this thinking.

(PS: I seem to have left this open over night, forgetting to post it. Just for fun, I didn't run through it, so have fun trying to read it.)

AnvilSnake said:
Spirituality may be a delusion, however there is to some extent that you know there is something more than your physical self. Spirituality can unfortunately be a description for things such as your subconcious, or your emotions, which then leads people to believe that there is some sort of power that controls those aspects of themselves. Yes, I'm throwing that 'out on a limb'.

Spirituality is basically being 'one' with 'one's self'. To be aware of life around you and to see yourself from another's eyes, is what I truely believe to be life enhancing. If you can see yourself from another's perspective, and better yourself by doing so, I believe that to be the true meaning of my spirituality. Obviously my version of spirituality isn't going to be alike to any other person, however I believe that for anyone to do such things, will definately give them a push in the right direction.

Anyways, I gotta stop drinking right now, I'm too drunk for all this thinking.

(PS: I seem to have left this open over night, forgetting to post it. Just for fun, I didn't run through it, so have fun trying to read it.)

Yes now what you said there is what I thought about spirituality - it is not objective, but subjective - people use the term for what they think it means to them. So it can never be pinned down and properly defined, a bit like God. God is not the same thing to anyone because He has never been properly explained or described. (I don't believe in God by the way.)

Norsemaiden said:
Yes now what you said there is what I thought about spirituality - it is not objective, but subjective - people use the term for what they think it means to them. So it can never be pinned down and properly defined, a bit like God. God is not the same thing to anyone because He has never been properly explained or described. (I don't believe in God by the way.)

I tend to associate with the warrel danes, timothy leary's and alex grey's of this world...There is something greater than this reality, and occasionally we can glimpse it. But being so rooted in this one, our language totally fails to express it.

I'd suggest a man named Harry Stottle, or as some call him, the Ragged Trousered Philosopher. http://www.fullmoon.nu/ would be his site. Something to check out would be the "A Conversation with God" Article.

Final_Product said:
I tend to associate with the warrel danes, timothy leary's and alex grey's of this world...There is something greater than this reality, and occasionally we can glimpse it. But being so rooted in this one, our language totally fails to express it.

Exactly my point as well. I mean I can tell everyone that I have had a glimpse of bliss, but I cannot even begin to describe what that feels like. Its like feeling so good that you have to smile.

What springs to my mind whenever i come to think of the possibility of an afterlife is dreams. Dreaming is something based on your body, but still it consist of sensing without senses. I know it are all electric pulses, but it still makes me wonder.
And what I never succeed in doing is to imagine eternity or a final ending. Imagine nothingness. Imagine no end. I find it quite scary.

I used to meditate on my own for some time, experienced some pleasurable sensations of not thinking, where coherence nor incoherence were an issue.
Still, this I do not believe in the afterlife, I consider this to be in the same league as dreaming: it's all physical.