Time for some poetry

Yup, I agree. Unfortunately there are so many books to read, and even if you try to catch up you're never get a chance to read all those you're interested in, even for a matter of money... I buy at least book a week, I try to buy them second hand, but unfortunately not always is possible... :(
its a great thing that there are so many books. you should see it more positive

its a great thing that there are so many books. you should see it more positive

No, I'm a pessimistic person! :D j/k
Btw, I always try to be realistic: my passion is literature, american literature mostly, I like it a lot. Well, I started reading at a good level at the age of 12, taht's mean that I only have 12 years of good books behind me, and I've not read all the things I wanted to. Now I'm speeding things up a bit cause it's part of my study project, but I have thousand of authors to read, and the good books keep coming....

No, I'm a pessimistic person! :D j/k
Btw, I always try to be realistic: my passion is literature, american literature mostly, I like it a lot. Well, I started reading at a good level at the age of 12, taht's mean that I only have 12 years of good books behind me, and I've not read all the things I wanted to. Now I'm speeding things up a bit cause it's part of my study project, but I have thousand of authors to read, and the good books keep coming....
american???? no offense but try some german writers. there are many old great writers, especially in philosophy. on the other hand i read some remarkable american novels....

american???? no offense but try some german writers. there are many old great writers, especially in philosophy. on the other hand i read some remarkable american novels....

I have indeed read some german authors... While I was studying german at high school they made us read "Die Leiden des jungen werthers" in original language, but you know, I really suck at german so I didn't like the book. But I've read some good translation of other german novels and a few philosophy books. Yeah, I know it's not the same thing as reading in original language but I liked them anyway. The most appealing thing about american literature is what is behind it, and they do not only have novelists, they also have really good poets, most of them are women, and that's a pretty good thing. :D

Damn, I could talk about literature for hours... :lol:

long live EEP! still one of the best writers there ever was

Yeah, poe was one of the best of his period... But you should give Hawthorne and Melville a chance, if you haven't already... they're really worth it.

Oh, shame on me, I think I did a mistake, I've read EAP instead of EEP.... :oops:

I have indeed read some german authors... While I was studying german at high school they made us read "Die Leiden des jungen werthers" in original language, but you know, I really suck at german so I didn't like the book. But I've read some good translation of other german novels and a few philosophy books. Yeah, I know it's not the same thing as reading in original language but I liked them anyway. The most appealing thing about american literature is what is behind it, and they do not only have novelists, they also have really good poets, most of them are women, and that's a pretty good thing. :D

Damn, I could talk about literature for hours... :lol:
yes me too... i agree with you on that. there are nice female american poets. but the problem lays in the language. english isnt very lyrical.

Yeah, poe was one of the best of his period... But you should give Hawthorne and Melville a chance, if you haven't already... they're really worth it.

Oh, shame on me, I think I did a mistake, I've read EAP instead of EEP.... :oops:

Hawthorne was pretty good too, I have yet to try Melvill though...

Hawthorne was pretty good too, I have yet to try Melvill though...

Well, try it, Moby Dick or The Last Tycoon are things everyone should read... :D

Btw, aren't you gonna tell me what EEP stands for??? The only things that comes into my mind is the author of "someone's in the kitchen", but I don't remember his middle name at all, so I could be wrong...

good, good
I have like 10 books him myself, I started reading him when I was like 14 years old or something and it's still my favorite writer

EDIT: @ingraine: wait a minute, Melville wrote Moby Dick? I thought Hawthorn wrote that one.

u-oh, I mixed up the middle letter, I was about to say Edgar Ellen Poe but I just realised that isn't correct :lol:

english isnt very lyrical.

I disagree on that...

An altered look about the hills;
A Tyrian light the village fills;
A wider sunrise in the dawn;
A deeper twilight on the lawn;
A print of a vermilion foot;
A purple finger on the slope;
A flippant fly upon the pane;
A spider at his trade again;
An added strut in chanticleer;
A flower expected everywhere;