Time to discuss: Samael

J the TyranT

Thats just how it is...
Dec 14, 2001
LV
Was talking to 006 about these guys, and thought they deserved a thread.

I've loved these guys since they were black metal, all the way up till now where they're... who the fuck knows... but they kick major asses.

Agree? I love their thickass extremely fake bass drums too, and you wouldnt think so, since Im a drummer after all...

To Swiss rockers! :kickass:

Samael = God-like!

I love all their albums but Passage is my favourite. Maybe because when it came out at I was having the best years of my life and will always occupy a very large part of my fond memories of the time.

The Album sounds just do damn HUGE and terrifying!!! You have to give props to Waldemar for the sound there.

Passage also has a perfect symbiosis of Lyrics and Music. The album has had a large part in the developement of my own philosophical views (Paradoxes are everywhere, what you create will be greater than what the creator will ever be, I am my only saviour, etc).

Awesome.

passage!

Oh.. and there is a free kick sample on that album as well b.t.w. it sounds way too boomy though haha..

Black neon bob said:
passage!

Oh.. and there is a free kick sample on that album as well b.t.w. it sounds way too boomy though haha..

The drums on that album sound like Boss DR660 to me. I used to have one, and the drums on Passage sounded suspiciously like one of the kits on there. Same with Eternal, though they started mixing up sounds a bit on there.

I think it was the older big model.(I saw them on stage when they were promoting "passage"). I have a DR660, but the power supply is broken. No luck.

On "Passage" & "Eternal" tours Xy use a AKAI MPC 2000 sampler/sequencer workstation.
mpc2000.gif

I'm a huge Samael fan. Ceremony of Opposites was my favorite, but I like everything in between that and the newest one that just came out. Reign of Light was a really good albumd despite the fact that it was really up-beat. but I bought some CD called "Era One" and I couldn't make it past maybe the first 20 seconds of any one track. It sounded awful. No guitars! And believe me I'm a big fan of music that doesn't have guitars, I listen to plenty of EBM/Industrial etc, but samael just sounds silly without guitars :/

has anyone else listened to this album? does it get better at all?

btw samael were playing 5150 when I saw them live. I dunno if that's what they record with or not.

I seen them live back in January,supporting Obituary.
The singer/guitarist was only using Deluxe series ESP Viper into a rackmount POD,staright to the PA.
The other guitarist was using an ESP M2 into a Marshall DSL100,with some kind of booster,i think it was a Tubescreamer,they had an awesome sound.
lots of synths going on to add to the atmosphere,a totally different band to their older albums.:headbang:

Yeah, they don't have a great guitar sound as far as I'm concerned, it's all about Drum Machine and keyboards... But I love Ceremony of Opposites (saw them then, really cool), Passage (played with them just when they released it, what a shock) and Reign of Light. Eternal is no good as far as I'm concerned...