Tips for Slate 3.0

bensnookes

Jun 4, 2006
Just got my platinum edition yesterday, just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the Toms, not being very present in the mix, having no real punch?

Anyone have any tips to solve this...?

Tried EQ, and put the velocities on 127, but the hits still are pretty weak...
I'll post back if i figure out what the problem was.

might have something to do with the room samples? If i remember correctly there are some room samples in Slate 3 so maybe that is overpowering the toms more than you like.

sorry i can't really help much as I haven't bought it yet

Just got my platinum edition yesterday, just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the Toms, not being very present in the mix, having no real punch?

Anyone have any tips to solve this...?

I know what you mean by it not being punchy. But when you have the compressor and the limiter on the 2 buss, everything sounds really awesome.

For a start, don't put on the individual overheads for all toms. For four tom kits, I like the New Maple toms best with the Metal Toms coming in second place.

Slate is on the right track here. He's giving people what they really want.

Hi Ben. I'm used to hearing the opposite of this complaint.. ie "the toms are too punchy and aren't sitting well"... so in this case I ask you to post an mp3 for us to analyze.

Have you raised the tom faders in the instrument by hitting OUTPUT? By default the toms aren't very loud in the preset kits. I'd personally keep the OH on, but thats just taste.

But if you keep the tom faders at a present volume, I don't think any of them should have a problem cutting through.. without need for compresion either.. Check out my page in the "FULL MIXES" section and listen to the Dream Theater demo, Metallica demo, Nirvana demo.. all have toms that are very present.

Another thing is to put the toms on their own fader in your DAW so you can make sure that all your kit pieces have enough headroom.

Steven, I have a noob question about bouncing SSD 3.0 drums into audio tracks.

When drums are bounced in Superior 2, the volume of the master output is automatically adjusted to prevent clipping.

I've loaded up my midi file with most of the velocities up to 127 and used a default multitrack drum kit all hooked up into my DAW's Vsti channels.

In Cubase would it make a difference if I left the midi input volume at 100 or maxed at 127? I take it that every drum instrument has to be as hot as possible before the bounce. Should I make volume adjustments in Kontakt's Output to make sure that nothing clips in DAW 2 buss before exporting it?

Thanks for the advice.
I'll adjust the volume on ths individual faders in Logic, hopefully that'll sort it.

Nitsuj, always adjust volume via the software faders, don't mess with the midi fader. before you render the tracks, make sure there is no clipping. If you spread out the drum instrument amongst a few stereo channels, you'll have more headroom.

Nitsuj, always adjust volume via the software faders, don't mess with the midi fader. before you render the tracks, make sure there is no clipping. If you spread out the drum instrument amongst a few stereo channels, you'll have more headroom.

Thanks. All the best to Slate Samples. Looking forward to the cymbal packs.