Tips on playing Opeth

Arash

Feb 9, 2004
Does anyone have any tips on how to play opeth covers better, mainly which effects to use on the guitar, etc?

/Arash

what seems to work well for me is to just minimal distortion. if you are playing in a live situation with two guitars especially, you are not going to need much distortion to get a good crunch. too much will sound muddy, harsh, and your notes won't cunt through. all you need is a good crunch. i also recomend a dark guitar tone (especially for the clean tones), and don't scoop your mids. As far as distortion, try to find a smooth one. harsh and raw isn't what you want unless you are going for an orchid/morningrise tone.

I have also been wondering about how to get the “Opeth crunch” out of my amp. I am talking about the Deliverance/My Arms, Your Hearse/Still Life sound.

Buy a GT-6 and a couple of Laney stacked amps. Crank the mids on the Laney stacked amps to 8, and pull everything else down. Use the GT-6 to do your actual EQ and select a pedal/amp sim that you feel fits.

Well, I speak swedish, own sleeve black shirts. Sometimes when I forget to shave a have a bit of a mustasch...

I own Fender "Fat" Strat, Marshall MG15CD, Korg XG1000 and a Zoom PS-04.
Any idea on how to get a nice sound with them?

/Arash

Yknow its weird. I tried a Laney TFX series the other day and the on-board gain sounded godawful. No matter what I did I couldn't get a decent tone out of that amp... I found that really strange seeing as it was a big stacked mofo type thing.

*pats ME-50 pedal*