Tired of Tone

kev said:
i know this problem all too well lol- its the "no end of mixing and plugins are gonna be able to polish thin air" syndrome

dude, you've got a kickass amp, and you still cant get a good tone, think how i fucking feel lol!

Familia><Publica said:
Im investing so much time in trying to get a decent tone, i'm not even writing music anymore, tiresome to say the least. Heres yet another attempt at tone using one of kazrogs riff.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=F0CCBAF945586A64

Nice BACKMASK cover!

Tone is really subjective. I'm not 100% happy with the tone I got on this song honestly. It's the best result I can produce with impulses, at least after several days of experimentation, so I'm happy enough with it for the purposes of what I'm doing right now.

When it comes time to do final mixes of the record, I will mic up my cabinet, it will just sound better. Don't worry about your tone, just write. I write most of my ideas playing through my POD XT. Focus on the music, tone can always be re-amped!

Kev - what are you using for a preamp? I have a shitty little Presonus Tubepre that I took from my old school, but it makes my guitar tone a lot better than just going straight into my interface. For the money, it will do the job, or there are plenty of other alternatives (probably better) that are pretty cheap. Anyway, Id say if you are having trouble getting good tones, get a little preamp see if it helps.

i've accepted that i will never be 100% satisfied with ANYTHING. so i proceed forward and make changes as i go along, learning and experimenting. tone is an elusive utopia ever sought for, and never reached

I'll let you in on a secret of mine:

I don't like a single guitar tone on any album.

There's always something that bugs me. Therefore, I just ignore it altogether and just write songs :) During this week, I've written 7 full songs, each with 7-9 riffs.

Machinated said:
Kev - what are you using for a preamp? I have a shitty little Presonus Tubepre that I took from my old school, but it makes my guitar tone a lot better than just going straight into my interface. For the money, it will do the job, or there are plenty of other alternatives (probably better) that are pretty cheap. Anyway, Id say if you are having trouble getting good tones, get a little preamp see if it helps.

Im just using the 1010lt preamps at the moment... hmmm. I think they're good enough for me at the moment. Whats the best economical on the wallet pre to get anyway these days?

Torniojaws said:
I'll let you in on a secret of mine:

I don't like a single guitar tone on any album.

There's always something that bugs me. Therefore, I just ignore it altogether and just write songs :) During this week, I've written 7 full songs, each with 7-9 riffs.

Thats a very good point :lol:

Machinated said:

HAHA, great to see another member of the forum using this too. I baught it a few months back for REAL cheap, and I love it. It obviously isn't anything trumendously awsome, but for the price I don't think it could be beaten. Regardless of the price, it does the job quite well too!

Hopefully in the next week or two i'll have my first clip up on the forum of my new amp. I'm very impressed so far......Stand by for the JSX assult!

Familia><Publica said:
Im investing so much time in trying to get a decent tone, i'm not even writing music anymore, tiresome to say the least. Heres yet another attempt at tone using one of kazrogs riff.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&amp;ufid=F0CCBAF945586A64

Tone sounds fine man. I'm not sure what vibe you were going for, though for my own tastes I would take a few mids out.

While I might sound like a dumbass asking this, its a POD right?