To all the Sneapsters with recording studios.

Erik Monsonis

Nov 18, 2006
Mexico City
www.darkhouseaudio.com
Hey guise! :D

I don't know how to put it so it doesn't sound lame, but...

I would like to know if anyone here has a position available in their studio, ranging from assistant to engineering duties.
I don't expect anyone here to have a mixing/mastering engineer position, as that'd be too good to be true, but hey! I can only wish!
The thing is, I'm willing to relocate to any country (yeah, no limitations here) where I can find a career opportunity in this, the only thing I can do great.
You will ask: Why on Earth do you want to work for someone else? Well, I don't have a proper recording studio, not even a decent home studio with good hardware nor the funds to make it happen, but I have the skills and could work my ass off for any of you guys.

Now, the reason I'm posting this (no whining intented):
I had to drop my medical degree right after completing the 3rd year (out of 6) due to financial reasons. This leaves me with absolutely nothing career-wise except for half a degree which is worth nothing in the healthcare job market (highly regulated profession, thank goodness).

Soooooo, if you guys are interested or know someone who could be interested in having another set of hands and ears working for them in their studio (maybe a larger studio with nobody specialized in Metal and willing to expand their market), please let me know!

Here is my CV in case you are curious (yeah, I know these things are for different job applications than AE, but still...)

Best wishes!
/Erik

I'm in the same boat. Though I cannot afford to just move anywhere, I'm trying to find some sort of remote editing/mixing gig. There's like 1 actual studio near me and they seem to specialize in more country/rock/blues type stuff and I contacted them a while back with nothing in return.

Good luck Erik.

I can't offer a job, though perhaps some advice on your CV: in a typical office job it would look fine, but for this purpose I would suggest changing the heading of "work experience" to "past productions" or something similar.
With that many listed you want to make it sound like you're comfortable and don't still feel like you're learning/ need more experience.

You don't need to be cocky, but use subtle things like that to make yourself sound confident.

I wish you all the luck in the world Erik!

Based on the mixes I've heard from you, you'd be a damn wise choice to have working in a studio somewhere. :)

I truly hope you'll find something!

Not dumb at all, man! I believe there is a reason for everything that happens in our lives. While I don't have a big studio, I (like others) encourage you to pursue your passion! Best of luck!!!

Wish you all the best. I moved to London for the very same reason. Unfortunately, after I graduated in Music Tech, I had to work with Hip Hop, R 'n B or similar in the last months :-( If you ever decide to move to London I'll be ready for a beer or two mate. Love your work.

just find any job and save to buy yourself some gear to start your own studio. Even if you have to have a mobile rig. Seems like that would also be a viable option for you. I mean you are really skilled I'm sure you could get bands that would want to record with you. Good luck to you though.

Yeah, so far I'm working on my own, both musical and non musical jobs (on-line mixing and mastering and medical translation/interpretation), but instead of putting this money back into recording, I'll just save for another year in the university. Slow but steady! :D

oh I didn't think you were going to still pursue school. In that case I think you should continue doing that. Hell, you're half way there already! Would be a shame to stop now. Are there any scholarships available or financial aid for school?

oh I didn't think you were going to still pursue school. In that case I think you should continue doing that. Hell, you're half way there already! Would be a shame to stop now. Are there any scholarships available or financial aid for school?

Exactly, that's my goal actually. Recording has always been a hobby (and wouldn't mind making it full time, but after completing my degree), but right now I have to push it because there's no way anyone is gonna finance my studies right now. I'm on my own here :D

That's how I got started man. Just sent my resume to 5 different studios here after school, started interning, assisting, cleaning the bathroom. Now I'm the house engineer. :)

It's probably best to find somewhere to relocate to FIRST. Then start looking around. Places I would go if I were just starting out: Nashville, Austin, LA, New York. In that order. Once you're settled somewhere, just get in contact with every studio you can.

I'll say this though… You won't make any money for a bit. Our studio gets TWICE as many inquiries for internships/ assistant gigs as we do for bands who want to record. I always get our interns lunch and try to tip them out for a job well done, but really the only way to get into studio work is to make zero dollars for a few months until you get some sort of foothold. It's a pain in the ass but that's how this industry works. The days of being a paid studio assistant with a full schedule are pretty much nonexistent in most places.

It also helps to know as much as you can. Signal flow, signal flow, signal flow. You need to be able to quickly understand how to get signal into, out of, and around the studio. Do you know anything about large format consoles?

so if you move you plan on attending medical school in a new location then?

If that was a possibility, then absolutely!

That's how I got started man. Just sent my resume to 5 different studios here after school, started interning, assisting, cleaning the bathroom. Now I'm the house engineer. :)

It's probably best to find somewhere to relocate to FIRST. Then start looking around. Places I would go if I were just starting out: Nashville, Austin, LA, New York. In that order. Once you're settled somewhere, just get in contact with every studio you can.

I'll say this though… You won't make any money for a bit. Our studio gets TWICE as many inquiries for internships/ assistant gigs as we do for bands who want to record. I always get our interns lunch and try to tip them out for a job well done, but really the only way to get into studio work is to make zero dollars for a few months until you get some sort of foothold. It's a pain in the ass but that's how this industry works. The days of being a paid studio assistant with a full schedule are pretty much nonexistent in most places.

It also helps to know as much as you can. Signal flow, signal flow, signal flow. You need to be able to quickly understand how to get signal into, out of, and around the studio. Do you know anything about large format consoles?

That's great advice, thanks!

I would rather start in Europe, as I would have my health insurance granted anywhere in the Eurozone, and I'm thinking just grabbing a plane to Sweden/Norway and check the stuff around and maybe start by settling first as you say... That is not a big economical risk, but it's something I need to save some cash for (so far I'm almost good to go). If I got a job in any of those mentioned countries I could afford working as intern too , because if I try that in my own country, I wouldn't even be able to pay the rent (in the extraordinary case that I found a job!).

About large format consoles... I don't have any work experience with that, but I'm a fast learner haha.

Cheers!

The only thing that can ever be lame is not trying, mate :)

wish i could help you, but it's hard enough for me to keep myself afloat.