to any english majors or poetry people on the board

the holy trifecta of shelley, keats, and byron are the furthest thing from boring! they are vibrant and relevant and...

fuck...i sound like a high-school English teacher already, and i'm only twelve credits into my degree.

eh, i'm 25 and i'm still saying "screw money", so maybe i'll never grow out of it! i guess the final test is when i get a family.

truth be told, though, teachers can make decent money in CT and MA...not nearly as much as they ought to relative to their education, of course, but $60,000 isn't an uncommon salary for a teacher with some years and degrees under his belt.

I am an English major - at least at the moment. I will probably do a double major, but I'm not sure what the other half will be. I plan to go to law school and figured an English major would probably be helpful, and I'm a relatively decent writer, so why not?

Originally posted by xfer
eh, i'm 25 and i'm still saying "screw money", so maybe i'll never grow out of it! i guess the final test is when i get a family.

truth be told, though, teachers can make decent money in CT and MA...not nearly as much as they ought to relative to their education, of course, but $60,000 isn't an uncommon salary for a teacher with some years and degrees under his belt.

this post was sexist on like three different occassions.

If that post were sexist, I would've said "she", because teaching is a traditionally female-dominated profession. Like always saying "he" when talking about surgeons.

I was a double major: English/Philosophy. That is proof I am super-smart.

p.s. "screw money" is sexist because it implies that the primarily-male act of "screwing" is an attack against/dismissal of something, in this case money but obviously actually meaning WOMEN.

well, yes, i figured you meant that, but that's because i don't want to make my wife work if she's accostomed to the current social norm (which is two-parents-working, admittedly, but if only one parent works its still almost always the male).

ideally, I want to be a "house husband" and cook and take care of the kids and shit while my wife goes off to some crazy power job. but most women who would be into that are probably lawyers or business execs AKA assholes, so it might not happen. but i definitely think that only one of us should have a full-time job if we can swing it financially.

i don't hate EVERYTHING masculine! just (real) violence and sports, and if the past few decades have taught us anything, it's that's women can be horribly moronic about those two things as well. so nyah.

Speaking of sexism and English poets, I've been getting into the Cavalier poets lately. Herrick's my favorite (especially when he's sexual but not being horribly sexist). I don't like romantics usually but rather stuff before that time and after.

Anyway, here are a couple Herrick favorites, both of which have been given an amazing 12-tone musical setting by Milton Babbitt:

TO SYCAMORES.
by Robert Herrick

I'M sick of love, O let me lie
Under your shades to sleep or die !
Either is welcome, so I have
Or here my bed, or here my grave.
Why do you sigh, and sob, and keep
Time with the tears that I do weep ?
Say, have ye sense, or do you prove
What crucifixions are in love ?
I know ye do, and that's the why
You sigh for love as well as I.

ANACREONTIC
by Robert Herrick

I must
Not trust
Here to any;
Bereaved
Deceived
By so many:
As one
Undone
By my losses,
Comply
Will I
With my crosses.
Yet still
I will
Not be grieving
Since thence
And hence
Comes relieving.
But this
Sweet is
In our mourning:
Times bad
And sad
Are a turning;
And he
Whom we
See dejected
Next day
we may
See erected.

Strangely, there's a different poem called "Anacreontic" on the Herrick site. I guess he must have written several works recalling this particular Greek poet's style.

whee old azal is back!

i gotta confess that poetry is my least favourite form of traditional art. it's really hard for me to critique--which i can do for prose lit really well and music pretty well--so i find it hard to separate the wheat from the chaff, as it were. i can still enjoy it, but the way a seven-year-old enjoys $100/lb chocolate.