To mids or not to mids

tk7261

Oct 19, 2012
Wondering what different people are doing these days in regards to mids on guitar. Do you have strong beliefs of where the mids should be set. I'm talking more about head settings than mixing eq. Prefer super scooped? About the same as highs and lows? Or set above lows and highs. I have a 5150ii and personally I usually have the mids set fairly loud. I hear producers and engineer frinds get great sounds with either technique. But what's your preference?

Totally depends on the project. If it's for super nasty grinding death metal I prefer a scooped sound. For a more atmospheric style I like a warm tone with plenty of mids (eg: morbid angel's covenant/formulas fatal to the flesh)

Definitely depends on the style but usually for my death/doom metal project I'll have the mids around noon-ish, maybe slightly below.

I like the amp settings of the 6505+ on default. Means everything at 12 o clock. I like mids on guitars and when I think it's not bright enough I use 2 mics. One mic with a position that is a bit scooped and one mic far away from the cab to get the room sound. So the guitars get enough mids and sound not so much in the face. I'm just trying this technique and I will post a clip in the practice room when I am finished