To sub or not to sub?

guitarded88

Jan 25, 2009
Waterloo/Brampton, ON
I was wondering if it would be worth it to add a sub to my set up?

I'm currently using KRK RP5's, and feel the bottom end lacking somewhat.

I was going to grab some kind of KRK sub from my local store (they only have 2 left, as they seem to be discontinued), most likely the RP10s.

Is there possibly a cheaper alternative that would work well with my monitors? Does anyone know WHY the sub got discontinued?

The whole RP series was discontinued. The RP10s in now the "KRK10s" when they came out with the updated series.

Probably the most noticeable difference of the new sub is the shape of its enclosure. It’s been given the ‘curved edges’ treatment, just like the new G2s: a feature that helps to reduce phase incoherence caused by diffraction around cabinet corners.

But inside the box, there are some handy new features, too. A ground-lift switch on the audio input enables users to break an earth loop, and there’s a footswtich which, when pressed, bypasses the subwoofer and built-in crossover.

What’s more, KRK say that the on-board amplifier has improved heat-sinking, allowing the amp to run with lower distortion at high levels. They also say the noise floor of the amplifier has been lowered, and that the voicing of the ten-inch driver has been altered to provide “better mix clarity and precision”.

I've been thinking of buying one but I think I'll go for the Adam Sub.