To subscribers and ex-subscribers, and those who have seen a sample issue: A Poll!

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
1. What do you like best about LotFP Weekly as a whole?

2. What do you absolutely hate about LotFP Weekly as a whole?

3. What's the best single thing you've seen in LotFP Weekly?

4. What's the single worst thing you've seen in LotFP Weekly?

The reviews, I think, which are gloriously no-bullshit and show a knowledge of the metal scene (which I guess helps;)). The interviews rock as well :)

I've not been too impressed with some of your rants, although you usually do make some good, valid points. Sometimes :p

Probably that rant you wrote about writing reviews. Which may account for me not writing as many reviews as I used to :lol:

Probably your In Flames rant (following a post by the band on their forum)... and the distinct lack of plugs for UM! :mad:

Up-to-date, very informative (usually stuff worth reading), good interviews, and most importantly......no-bullshit reviews.

Not much, really. The long-ass rants seem unnecessary at times. Shorter rants aren't too bad. I guess it depends on the topic. Killing half an issue with the Metal Maniacs dissection seemed like overkill. I still subscribe to MM......so I already knew all that anyway!! I'd much rather have a few more reviews, and slightly shorter rants. Especially rants of the Metal Maniacs-bashing sort.

Shit. I don't know. I love when I get turned on to a cool band as a result of a review or interview. That's 90% of the reason I subscribe in the first place. I recall the Jeff Wagner interview being very good. Category-wise, I'd definately say the reviews. Also....believe it or not......I really like reading reviews where you tear an album to shreads, like the "Hymn to Life" review. Heh heh......I was dying! The way you word some of them really cracks me up.

The "Cost of CD production" breakdown. Blaaah. That could've been summed up to fit on 1 page.
It was nice to know, and I'm sure it took a fair amount of research, but the end result just killed too much space.

Those are my comments. Overall, I've been very pleased with 95% of the issues.

The interviews, followed by the reviews

The news section - followed by the half blank final page, which ya don't need now that you're mailing it out in envelopes.

Asking Rhapsody why they use that awful narrator.

Keep asking those obvious questions nobody else seems to, and I'll keep subbing.

I dunno - I will agree that the "cost of producing a CD" article was way too long.

I happen to like your rants.

Originally posted by numbskull
followed by the half blank final page, which ya don't need now that you're mailing it out in envelopes.

Actually... only subscribers get it in envelopes. The bands and labels (or publishers) involved and talked about in each issue don't get the envelope treatment. I STILL want to know how the Wrestling Observer sends out around 3000 copies with no envelope and don't have such a high incidence of shredded copies arriving like I do. heh

Honestly and truly, that whatever is printed on the page seems like a bona fide, gen-u-ine, honest opinion that has been thought out...at least to some degree.

What I've hated since day one: all of the typographical and grammatical errors; also, some weird, drawn-out segments of many of your rants contain either faulty logic (not meant to be derrogatory--it's an actual term meaning that parts of what you write contradict, or at least seem to contradict, other parts of what you're saying) or just confused segments of speech. Of course, I *know* I'm picayunish about this sort of thing because it's my calling.

I'm a cheap bastard, so naturally, I gravitate toward the reviews, which are definitely lacking in the numbers department--more reviews! I also really like that you go where angels fear to tread and ask those difficult questions, even seeming a tad adversarial
at times. Go you!

I'm trying to be honest here, not hurtful, mind you, but I do take some issue with what several other subscribers have said thus far about *some* of the rants, as well as wanting to see many more reviews. I mostly enjoy your rants, but I just wish they weren't always about bands I could care less about. Well, "always" is a bit strong--i do enjoy your tirades against the mp3 controversy, even though I hold a *very* different opinion of the matter.

Your sometimes delightfully straying off-topic, often highly cool interviews where you ask questions that others are afraid to ask and get cool quotes others fail to get. Also, many reviews - GOOD! (just be vocal and honest as always) and some of your ranting is great. I definately subscribe for the interviews, though.

Others of your ranting. On the whole, I say keep doing it 'cause a lot of interesting stuff comes out of it, but of course, this only applies sometimes...

Discussing Dan Swano's business skills with Mikael Akerfeldt. "happy meal and a handshake", I think it was...

The Metal Maniacs thing seemed kinda unnecessary. I didn't really care about it as a taste issue, I just really didn't care about it at all.

Originally posted by Jim LotFP

single-minded perspective from someone WHO WANTS the best for everything and everyone.

2. What do you absolutely hate about LotFP Weekly as a whole? [/QUOTE]
any backlog entries from before I became a subscriber NEVER make it to the website

3. What's the best single thing you've seen in LotFP Weekly? [/QUOTE]
see response to question #1

4. What's the single worst thing you've seen in LotFP Weekly? [/QUOTE]

the attitude of that guy from Rakoth.