to trigger or not to trigger

Mar 11, 2005
England
Before I even start on this I wanna say yes I have used sound replacer, I have used triggers and I have used samples. The point im interest in is have we got to the point where were using this technology because we need to or because we can?
Back in the day a good drum with the right mic on it played well was enough. Now it seems that it doesnt matter about these things cos we can just quantise and sound replace later on. Is the technology replacing good old fashioned engineering techniques or is it aiding them? Does any of this really matter as long as the end result is good?
Im just really interested in hearing how you guys use this technology and how much you depend on it if at all and is there still a place for the traditional recording techniques?

estigma2001 said:
i think all is about evolution, and triggers help to obtain a killer drum sound the problem is when a drummer is not good enough and then he recieves this help from the tecnology.

I think triggers and sound replacing is great for when you need good results fast. Sometimes at the studio I work at we'll have bands come in who are recording 3 songs and they only book one 8 hour session. If the drummers set is tuned poorly I can't waste time trying to fix his kit when I know we have alot to do fast. Other than that if you have time to get the right samples and tones you can make a nice solid sounding kit with samples and it won't sound too much like a drum machine.

Grave Desire said:
I think triggers and sound replacing is great for when you need good results fast. Sometimes at the studio I work at we'll have bands come in who are recording 3 songs and they only book one 8 hour session. If the drummers set is tuned poorly I can't waste time trying to fix his kit when I know we have alot to do fast. Other than that if you have time to get the right samples and tones you can make a nice solid sounding kit with samples and it won't sound too much like a drum machine.
well for that reason its ok but i was talking about playing skills

its quite surprising when you listen back to some of the older thrash stuff how slack some of the playing is. Have a listen to Master Of Puppets and tell me you can hear every kick drum, you can't, same with Slayer, fast stuff is a blur on the bottom end, but I'm not knocking it, it part of the charm of records from back then.

... and the engineer could be a slack-ass and still get away with it :)

band: 'you're red-lining everywhere man, wtf???'
engineer: 'shhhh, they call it "tape compression' *sips coffee..... dreams hazily of $$$$*

Andy Sneap said:
its quite surprising when you listen back to some of the older thrash stuff how slack some of the playing is. Have a listen to Master Of Puppets and tell me you can hear every kick drum, you can't, same with Slayer, fast stuff is a blur on the bottom end, but I'm not knocking it, it part of the charm of records from back then.[/QUOT

Yeah, I didn't even know that their was double kick going on at the end of Fade to Black Until I bought a stereo that really could push out some low end.
That being said, those records still have alot of energy and it comes out of the recording and that works for me!

Yup, that's where I find samples help. I was thinking about this lately too; especially with snare. I'm getting where I can get a better and better natural snare sound, and it sounds great by itself. But once the layers of guitars and voices come in, layering a sample really gives it a consistency and helps the snare cut through. If I was doing AC/DC-type music or something, I think there would be no need for samples.

But I'm still learning by the day, so who knows.

The original question may be a good rhetorical one for professional producers, but for a lot of us here--at least me for sure--I don't have the time to spend getting that great tone out of a kick. Yeah, my shit is fake. But if I didn't have aptrigga then I'd be paying someone else GGGGGGs that I dont have to record my band. Same is true of POD. If you can get a reliable sound out of it then fuck it, just use it, who cares if the sound is a little fake.

Just having the opportunity to put something out that's decent is so great I never take it for granted, and there's no way I'd be able to do it without all this cheating stuff.

DeMysteriisDomCanuckus said:
Did you pull that stuff on the last album, Matt? We have it up at the college station I do my radio show at, CFBX (www.thex.ca) and I can say I thought it was a very well-produced album.

Thank you. I just used a drum machine and played everything by hand on the little pads. I knew so little about production, it's amazing that it came out OK (except for the drum machine, haha). We're starting the new one in a week or two; I think it will be a lot better production-wise.

Thanks again,