Toms cutting, gating or leave em

You usually....

• Total voters
Cut to transient, replace/reinforce with sampled toms of that session dependent on spill from the rest if the kit.

Last album I did, I ended up just automating the mute on all the tracks. That felt kinda stupid though, I should have just done a combo of automating the volume/editing like I usually do but whatever.

What kind of automation? Just mute on/off?

The reason I ask, for myself it seems like taking the time to write those automations could just be spent cutting the tracks. Which I would say at most takes about 3 full passes through the song playing for me.

I have the level of the toms really low when they're not played, but they're there all of the time. Then I just automate them to go to "normal volume" whenever they're played. It's just really rough automation really, I often just do one automation shape which sounds good and then copy & paste it into the right parts.

I have the level of the toms really low when they're not played, but they're there all of the time. Then I just automate them to go to "normal volume" whenever they're played. It's just really rough automation really, I often just do one automation shape which sounds good and then copy & paste it into the right parts.

I'm in the same boat. I like the way this method downplays the bleed instead of cutting it out completely. Cutting completely, while great in many scenarios, IMO can make fills stand out in an ugly way. Automating the toms makes it sound more natural to my ears

Cuting or gating/automation on my session. If I know session go outside always gating/automation (cuting are call un pro on big studio session).