Tone question..?

HappyHelloweenEdguy

New Metal Member
Jun 14, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
www.soldat-music.com
What combination of heads/cabs/fx etc:

are the least expensive, and give you the nicest metal tone, with a clear and pretty clean channel...?

(i don't want a numetal tone, either.. numetal is for girls)

My guitar has an EMG 81 and 2 really nice jazzy single coils.

(also, whats a good and cheap guitar with a nice neck that i can put my old p/ups and shit in?)

this is so hard to answer, my advice is to just go to a guitar shop and try out like 10 different amps with a guitar similar to yours, that's the only way. Everyone ends up liking their own amp sound because they get used to it so you'll just get a bunch of people advocating their own.

Yeah, and you'll get some people tell you to go to the local music store and try as many amps as possible and then, you'll still get people giving you their opinions. SOS!
What is cheap for a guitar in your opinion?

You can't buy a head/cab and effects peadal for $200.

You can check your local used music store and pawn shops though. If you want full-on crunch on a dime budget, Crate is tough to beat in my ears, but I never cared for their clean sound. I still own a Crate G60 half-stack that's about 15 years old and though it takes up so much space, when I want to thrash out by myself I can't beat it.

Bryant

Bryant said:
You can't buy a head/cab and effects peadal for $200.

You can check your local used music store and pawn shops though. If you want full-on crunch on a dime budget, Crate is tough to beat in my ears, but I never cared for their clean sound. I still own a Crate G60 half-stack that's about 15 years old and though it takes up so much space, when I want to thrash out by myself I can't beat it.

Bryant

notice... GUITAR.. not head/cab/fx....

yea, in general.. crate blows at all things clean.

You should be able to get used Carvin or Ampeg 4x12 guitar cabs at your local consignment shop for around $200. For cheap heads, try getting a used 5150 or Crate Voodoo... two good tube heads that go for pretty cheap. You should be able to get some good tone and sound that will cut thru any small gig or practice you want for about $500-$600.

I can't recommend anything for around $200, so you'd just have to save and shop around.

HappyHelloweenEdguy said:
notice... GUITAR.. not head/cab/fx....

yea, in general.. crate blows at all things clean.

Doh !! I still say go with something used. You get more guitar for the money. You can find old Charvel, Jackson, high-end Peavey, Ibanez or Hamer axes lying around in pawn shops.

Bryant