Tone test 5150 mic'ed with SM57 /SM7 w/ pics

LosingReality

Oct 6, 2007
Columbus GA
So i got a 5150 combo the other day with V-30s in it. Its been a while since i recorded a amp....ive been using the PODX3 for a while now and couldnt take it anymore.

The mic placement for the day is in the pics as well as the settings on thje 5150....i used 2 mics...the SM57 and the SM7. They were not done dual though, they were recorded separate. The SM57 was the MAIN Mic being used the SM7 was added just alittle for some low end. The SM7 was into the Mic pre on the X3 and the 57 was into the 1/4 input on the X3 with an XLR to 1/4 cable. I could have done dual mic'ing but i couldnt get the phase right....cause if you look on the SM7 the element is FAR from the tip of the grill on the mic...i think thats why i was getting so much room in my clip the other day. So now i have it turned with the element close to the speaker and im getting less room.

The guitars are Hi/lo pass and a 2db bump around 3k and 6.5k

Let me know what you think!

CLIP http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=852198&songID=7352822

PICs

DSCN2874.jpg

DSCN2870.jpg

DSCN2871.jpg

DSCN2872.jpg

DSCN2873.jpg

Sounds pretty damn cool dude, though a bit much in the high-mids, and I NEVER would've guessed you had the bass and resonance max'ed, cuz it still feels a bit thin o_O And you do realize the SM7 is not a side-address mic? :lol:

i lol´d to the sm7 commentary XD

yeah it sounds a little thin
but the tone itself sounds very very good

Sounds pretty damn cool dude, though a bit much in the high-mids, and I NEVER would've guessed you had the bass and resonance max'ed, cuz it still feels a bit thin o_O And you do realize the SM7 is not a side-address mic? :lol:

:lol:

Yea i know, but when i used the SM7 straight on, i was getting a big boxy sound....so i tried to get the element closer. Im gonna take the SM7 out of the mix completely....what do you suggest for the low end? I do feel like its a bit thin, the tone sounds killer with the low and res maxed....but its getting it through the mic like that is the problem i guess.

:lol:

Yea i know, but when i used the SM7 straight on, i was getting a big boxy sound....so i tried to get the element closer. Im gonna take the SM7 out of the mix completely....what do you suggest for the low end? I do feel like its a bit thin, the tone sounds killer with the low and res maxed....but its getting it through the mic like that is the problem i guess.

I think it could be going through the X3. I use an X3 and run into the same thinness problems. You should try it with the exact same setup into a different interface if you can get your hands on one just to compare.

It sounds really close though...really cool track.

Sorry for the epic bump... but I'm thinking about getting one of these combos and wondering if you have any other clips that address the "thin" guitars in this mix? Were you ever able to get a good beefy warm tone from this amp?