Toneport, Impulses, Tone question

bpcrshooter15

Nov 13, 2008
Being a college student with no money I'm very limited to my resources. I have a decent axe, Toneport GX w/metal pack, Fruityloops (for bass and drums synth), and I use Audacity to record. After teaching myself a lot of the audio production stuff over the past months i realize im not going to sound like Hetfield on the Black Album...

but i'm always tweaking to get the best tone I can. Basically im looking for suggestions on what I can do to improve (besides buying new stuff). I've read a little on Impulses but it's a little confusing. Could I use them with what I have? would i need the gearbox/podfarm plugin? is the Toneport GX considered a DI? any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Right now im just going straight guitar -> toneport GX -> gearbox/podfarm and then recording the sound in Audacity, for my guitars.

If I could do something like record a DI (don't understand how) and then apply Impulse effects later in Fruity Loops or Audacity or something that would be cool, but i don't know if it works like that.

This wouldn't be for live sound either. Just recording.

use the reaper and for example voxengo boogex, audacity has a problem with vst. in toneport settings you can choose, where do you want to send the processed signal and unprocessed - you have 2 stereo (lines). in daw, record the unprocessed line, or processed, but without cabsim in podfarm.

Don't use a cab with gearbox, get Reaper (free) and learn how to use it, its easy but read up on how vst's and impulses work.

Then, get some impulse packs, and download either Voxengo Boogex or keFIR (both vst plugins)

Record just the amp from Gearbox into reaper, and add the impulse to the FX chain to simulate the cab.

look at this post for the entire runaround if you want to use some other kind of amp source (Revaler/Amplitube...etc)
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/427135-impulse-faq.html

Being a college student with no money I'm very limited to my resources. I have a decent axe, Toneport GX w/metal pack, Fruityloops (for bass and drums synth), and I use Audacity to record. After teaching myself a lot of the audio production stuff over the past months i realize im not going to sound like Hetfield on the Black Album...

but i'm always tweaking to get the best tone I can. Basically im looking for suggestions on what I can do to improve (besides buying new stuff). I've read a little on Impulses but it's a little confusing. Could I use them with what I have? would i need the gearbox/podfarm plugin? is the Toneport GX considered a DI? any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...neport-ux2-metalz-3-tones-check-out-pick.html

Read my Toneport guide for some great tone, bud!

Good luck!

Thanks for the help everyone. I've been wanting to record a decent sounding demo of stuff I've written. after months of working on tones and mixing techinques, I guess I'm gonna start over tweaking new tones, lol. I love the site. I've learned a lot. thanks

Thanks for the help everyone. I've been wanting to record a decent sounding demo of stuff I've written. after months of working on tones and mixing techinques, I guess I'm gonna start over tweaking new tones, lol. I love the site. I've learned a lot. thanks

it's similar with me. I've been working with my pod for over 2 years to tweaking a decent tone. After visiting this forum, I deleted them all and start from scratch. :D :headbang: