Toneport UX2

ruonitb

Oct 22, 2008
Hi!

I've been using the Toneport UX2 for about two years now and I'm not satisfied with it even though I think that the problem is me and not the hardware/software.

I hear great recordings with the POD and EZ Drummer/DKFH...but hardly anyone seems to use the Toneport; or at least I don't know anyone who created really good guitar sounds with it...but as far as I know, the sounds of the toneport/gearbox are based on the POD-Sounds (I don't know any additional model packs though).

So, is there anyone out there who has really good presets for the toneport/gearbox (without additional model packs) and/or can show me some good recordings with it? (I know that everything depends on every single instrument in the mix, but my biggest problem is the guitar sound at the moment).

Or should I just get the newest POD? There are plenty of presets for the POD available from several users with awesome recordings...I also tried the newest Revalver demo but I can't record with it in Cubase...I don't know how people manage to do it with demo version?!
But I mainly want to focus on the guitar sound with the Tonpeort for now.

So, any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

What you have now is fine.....

Because of the nature of Pod's (i.e. the low price), many people can afford them - therefore people of all standards of recording can have them available. Getting good sounds is not too hard, it just takes a bit of time to learn what to look for. For a general heavy sound, use a tubescreamer, dual rec, mesa cab, 57 on axis and adjust the EQ to suit your guitar. Also try and keep the gain quite low.

I don't have a dual rec and mesa cab available on my toneport/gearbox. or are you talking about impulses?

Yes you do.
line6xd6.jpg

( 2001 Treadplate based on Mesa/Boogie® Dual Rectifier® )

I'm totally dissapointed in the ux1 I have, since Revalver can give me better sound with the custom impulses.

Ok, thanks...didn't even know that.

Do you think that doubling the guitar tracks is necessary for having a "fat" sound?

I tried impulses but didn't have enough time to really tweak around yet; I had a hard time to get a good and "clean" sound out of it...it always seems to kinda distort...not sure why (I mean, I try it with distorted guitars of course, but it seems to add distortion or something and it sounds crappy...always overdrives.)

Anyone using the toneport and has some recordings to share?
Would be interested in what's possible with that thing. :)

Yeah, I read that Toneport and POD are the same if the Toneport is upgraded with all packs.
I didn't buy any additional packs yet though.