too good to be true

lilhermiejobo

Mar 6, 2007
Its no secret I've been drooling over recording monitors for quite some time now. I thought it was too good to be true when I hooked up with a free m-audio 1814 and ableton live 4 this week being as I can't normally afford those types of things on a whim. So earlier tonight I went along with a buddy to the pawn shop to check out what guitars they've got because he just bought my v-amp and wants to get started doing some home jamming type stuff when I see this recording monitors setting on the bottom shelf pushed to the back wall and much to my surprise its a pair of Alesis M1 Active monitors listed for 60 bucks and I'm thinking to myself "there's no way those work for 60 bucks".
...long story even longer the dude working there was in a band that I've played shows with back in the days of gigging and he clues me in they weren't tested or anything when the dude sold them so we plug 'em in, hook up and "suh-weet" they work and sound awesome. Even better yet I talked them down to 38 bucks for the pair.
Thank GOD is all I know to say at the moment with all this new gear for seriously nothing, it really seems too good to be true. :kickass:

while I'm all excited and rambling like a drunken school girl I wanna ask you guys' opinion on Alesis M1 Active monitors...
anyone on here use them or have used them?
I've never mixed anything on monitors so I'm pretty excited about the difference and quality of my upcoming mixes...
now I just have to figure out how to pack these beasts into my luggage and get them safely to Australia.

:headbang:

I have those exact monitors! They sound amazing! Only problem is that the low end is pretty beastly (very nice sounding, just LOUD). I put a 30 band EQ in front of my monitors to scoop out some low end, and then it was all gravy. VERY nice buy, wish I found mine for that cheap. :erk:

nwright: I do live in Indiana, for now. My fiance lives in Melbourne though so that's where I'm going, leaving tomorrow actually.

botus99: I'm glad you say that honestly. I hooked them up at a studio last night to find out what I'd gotten myself into and I thought they sounded really clear but the cd playing through them was burnt. I've heard that nasty compression/filter sound on burnt cds before but last night it seemed way more obvious than ever. I hope that will help me improve mix clarity.
what low-end range did you find yourself scooping?

I just read the alesis webpage for the m1's and their specs show +1db @ 50hz with an "optimal q" so what you're saying makes sense. I just got to melbourne saturday and as soon as I find a step down voltage converter I'll be able to set up shop and have a go at some noise.

I mix and listen to everything on my computer with M1 mkII passive monitors with poweramp, damn they are smooth, my best mate used to use the M1 actives and they are very very boomy in comparison, and he was just as shocked when the two were compared!! he went on and splashed a bit more cash on some krks. the passive versions seem to have a clearer and more balanced frequency response. Got mine coupled up to the alesis ra150 poweramp and its a sweet as hell setup for only a couple of hundered quid!!

heck man, for 38 bucks I definitely dont mind using a bit of eq to get a flat sound out of the m1 actives :lol:

originally when looking at monitors I was scoping passives as well though and considering a setup similar to yours but as fate brought it to be I got the actives, still waiting to hook them up and see what they can do for me