Too Many Projects?

Jon Snow

asoiaf afaict
Jul 22, 2004
I mean no disrespect to the almight Dan but does anyone ever worry that he is diluting his creativity by being involved in so many projects? I love just about everything he has done, especially Moontower, but I wonder if he was involved in just one or two bands if they would be that much better because his creative output would be limited to that. I guess what I'm trying to ask is if there is a certain point where an artist can start to spread himself too thin by being involved in too much? Or is Dan an endless well of creativity with no bottom in sight? Or does being involved in multiple projects spur on ideas that actually improve all of the other projects collectively? I really don't know. I was just pondering this and I thought I would post it here to see what you all think.

Once again, I love Dan so don't take this the wrong way. I'm just wondering what you all think about this subject. *Puts on Moontower* :headbang:

It's like eating something. It's boring to eat the same every day, after a while you want to try something new. Sometimes it tastes better and sometimes not. Dan often makes great music and his brother is the best fukin onstage performer ever. :kickass:

Dan puts everything into whatever project he is doing, he doesn't slack or act lazy just to finish something.

Once again, I love Dan so don't take this the wrong way. I'm just wondering what you all think about this subject. *Puts on Moontower* :headbang:

I think the answer is simply that you are imagining nonsense, no offense at all. If one reads through your post, he'll see that it isn't at all logical. You "love" just about everything he's done? So then in what ways do you think his one or two hypothetical "focus" bands would be better than all the rest of his stuff? Can you make some recommendations as to how any of the things he's done could have been significantly improved to reach the level of one of these imaginary bands that exist in your head? Of course not. Also, it does not follow that if Dan spent more time on his projects, they would be better. That is a fallacy. There is only so much time that can be spent on making an album, realistically, and Dan spends that time and puts in the necessary effort, as Tumn has said. Finally, at root your post is merely making an appeal that a diverse artist NOT be diverse. Perhaps your mind is trying to squeeze the diverse-Dan into the mold of a more standard (one-demensional) artist. Perhaps you are working backwards and thinking of another artist who would not be nearly as good if he/she tried to broaden their horizons (and you'd be right, Enya doing black metal? Hehe.), but this does not follow logically to an artist who *is* diverse - such as Dan.

Metal88 said:
If one reads through your post, he'll see that it isn't at all logical. You "love" just about everything he's done? So then in what ways do you think his one or two hypothetical "focus" bands would be better than all the rest of his stuff?

Obviously you didn't read very closely. I think alarms starting going off in your head as soon as you saw something that was possibly a criticism of Dan and you lost all focus on what I was trying to ask in your rush to defend him.

All I was asking is if you ever worried about this. If you thought it was possible that this could happen. I never claimed this was what I thought was in fact the case. I said sometimes I wonder if it is. If there is a certain point where an artist starts spreading himself too thin and if Dan has reached this point. Obviously, you don't think so, which is fine.

Jon Snow said:
I guess what I'm trying to ask is if there is a certain point where an artist can start to spread himself too thin by being involved in too much? Or is Dan an endless well of creativity with no bottom in sight? Or does being involved in multiple projects spur on ideas that actually improve all of the other projects collectively? I really don't know. I was just pondering this and I thought I would post it here to see what you all think.

I also throw out other possibilities as you can see in the bold. Also, notice the 'I don't know' part.

I definitely agree to the bold stuff, because his experiences in each of those projects is different, and they all improve him as a musician/producer from different aspects to make him better as a whole... :)

Obviously you didn't read very closely. I think alarms starting going off in your head as soon as you saw something that was possibly a criticism of Dan and you lost all focus on what I was trying to ask in your rush to defend him.

It is you who did not read closely. You clearly asked what we thought about your post and thus your thoughts, and I answered directly and completely. Your claim that I "rushed to defend" Dan is quite interesting. I notice you didn't try to state any kind of basis for such an absurd claim. Probably a good idea since there isn't one. ;) However, failure to substantiate such asinine statements tend to make one look very dishonest. Don't think we didn't notice. Let me explain further. It is very clear by your first post that you were not "attacking" Dan, you even went so far as to state the obvious for us. You then stated your own silly thoughts about Dan's diversity being a problem and asked for our thoughts on them. My response was just that. (Brief summary: The idea you've thrown out is baseless and silly) Very simple. How you managed to miss something so obvious as this and then respond with this wild accusation and babble about imaginary "alarm bells" and my "defending Dan" is beyond me. Intriguing.

All I was asking is if you ever worried about this.

And now you have your answer, don't you? As you can see by reading this thread, noone is the least bit "worried" about this - in fact the phenomenon that you are worrying about is the very thing that draws the rest of us to Dan and his many different works of art.

If you thought it was possible that this could happen.

Yes, and I covered this very clearly. Again, I believe you are tripping yourself up in thinking this thing about Dan's "focus." Your thoughts are purely imaginary and have nothing to do with reality. Dan is not sacrificing quality for quantity and variety. What Dan does best is found in his diversity whereas this may not be the case with other artists. Read my last post again. It's all there, and I hope I don't have to repeat myself a third time.

I never claimed this was what I thought was in fact the case. I said sometimes I wonder if it is.

So what?

Regardless of if you "think" this is the case or "wonder" if this is the case (oh boy) The responses you get to the general idea would be the same, wouldn't they?

If there is a certain point where an artist starts spreading himself too thin and if Dan has reached this point. Obviously, you don't think so, which is fine.

Obviously I do not, correct. What was so difficult to comprehend about this, again?

I also throw out other possibilities as you can see in the bold.

You're essentially offering the polar opposite to what you originally suggested. What you have in bold more lends itself to the post I made, don't you think?

Also, notice the 'I don't know' part.

It's a shame you didn't know before, but at least now you do. :cool:

i don't think he spread himself too thin. i mean, look at 1995... what a fucking year for Dan! awesome albums by Unicorn, Nightingale and EoS, and i'm probably forgetting other projects!

I think it ould be way to much if Dan tried to sqeeze in Edge of sanity, nightingale, bloodbath(?), pan-thy-monium, moontower, unicorn, secondsky and all the rest into one or two main bands...

I don't think anyone could make that lot work.

For me it´s fucking unbelievable that Dan actually have done so many different kind of music styles through his year and so many projects at the same time sometimes. That´s really impressing and from about 1994 and up to this date he has worked with Nightingale as a kind of relationship music that still keep´s gong on BESIDES his "real work" at the music store and BESIDES other music projects. I believe that his kind of special music life with involvement in so many projects has give him a wide musicperspective, knowledge and skills that other musicmen miss. I think he´s cruel in making music whatever he does and I hope that he does´nt let go of NG cause that band :kickass:

...over and out

Hot feelings :) I know Dan always maintain quality in his project otherwise he don´t do them. Most people seems to forget that he is not the only person doing stuff in "his" project ( apart from Moontower and first N.G ,10 years ago ) The reason i have done 90 % of the songs on the new N.G is because he don´t have any songs left that he feel is good enough.
Keep on arguing but i know that both the new N.G and S.S is very good.:headbang: