Too Much

May 1, 2003
Liverpool
Visit site
I think that some of the bands that people are expecting are a bit big, many people have suggested ManOwaR but, to be honest, I don't think they would touch it with a ten foot pole, they aren't going to play for 2000 people.

A believable headliner would be Iced Earth, but I'm not going to build my hopes up for Judas Priest,Slayer, Helloween and bands like that, maybe in a few years when Bloodstock gets bigger, because I do expect it to get bigger every year

I hope ManOwaR prove me wrong.

Eagle said:
I wouldn't say Manowar were too big. Iced Earth would also be ideal but they're very unreliable

Have you seen Iced Earth live or not? I'm not too keen on Manowar. They sounded like KISS and I don't want to see gay men covered in baby oil.

I agree about them being very unstable band line up. I still don't like any of their albums but I heard Ripper Owens stuff and that was amazing.

I really like Ripper Owens a lot. I've seen about 30 bands but my best ever gig was Ripper Owens Judas Priest's Jugulator tour back in '98 with Gorefest ( who is crap death metallers from The Netherlands ).

I've only seen Iced Earth once (London Scala 2002) Pretty good show but I've seen better. Matt Barlow seemed to struggle as the show went on. They did however do a 3 piece set, each of approximatley 50 mins in length, so you did get good value for money.

I wouldn't like to say how many bands I've seen and gigs I've been too. At a rough estimate I'd say I've seen around 500 metal/rock bands or so.

I've seen Priest once with Ripper and that was enough. I didn't rate the guy at all. I thought Savatage totally blew them away that night. For me only Rob can sing for Priest. Jugulator was a very good album and Owens did a good job but ask yourself could Rob have handled the vocals better?

I'll probably eat my hat if I see Judas Priest even CONSIDER playing at Bloodstock.

Helloween are probably aiming a bit high as well, sadly.

But isn't Manowar 25th anniversary next year? If it is then they'll probably be playing LOADS of gigs all over the place.

i agree some of the bands we are wanting are a bit big to play for a small(ish) fest like bloodstock, plus most of the bands are not english and are not base din england so that puts em off even more, i meen there not gonna travel overseas to play in front of 3000 ppl max. but who cares, theres no harm in being wishful and askin the bloodstock team to see if they can convince em.

Yeah, that's what I mean, I hope they prove me wrong, I would love to see ManOwaR, Slayer,Opeth,Nile,Vader but so many big bands won't play until the festival gets bigger.

Wacken started off with 6 cover bands so Bloodstock looks very promising in the future, if a bigger venue is found.

Wishlist:

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Nile
Immolation
ManOwaR
HammerFall
Warlord
Slayer
Opeth
Amon Amarth
Iced Earth
Vader

Well we can all wish can't we :D

So who is small bands? I don't really understand.

Is it like bands never gets on the front covers of let's say Japanese BURRN! American Metal Maniacs or European Metal Hammer?

To be honest with you I don't really like foreign bands much. I really love British Hard Rock and Heavy Metal.

It's our National Pride.

I really want to see Marshall Law live because they are the best British ( BIRMINGHAM! ) Metal bands from the 90's. I think they'll be definitely ready by next year.

You say you want Power/Thrash ( Speed )/NWOBHM. They got it all. They are like mix of HEAVY Judas Priest, Megadeth, Dokken etc but none of them copy.

They were most crimminary under rated band ever.
I really don't understand why you lot never heard of them, on their day they can blow likes of Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray or Helloween easy peasy.

I want to see Ten again they are exellent live. They do sounds bit like Bon Jovi at times but albums like The Robe, Babylon is bloody mega heavy sizzling sirloin beef steak sounds.

I wanna see Impellitteri live he is the fastest guitar shredder ever. Impellitteri's singer Rob Rock has done gig at Bang Your Head I think. Graham Bonnet ( Rainbow, MSG, Alcatrazz fame ) was in it also on his latest offering System X.

PopcornDave said:
Helloween are probably aiming a bit high as well, sadly.
Nope. The last few times they've been to the UK, they've played to 800 people in the Mean Fiddler, rather than the main Astoria. I don't see them being too big to play at Bloodstock by any means. Although I haven't heard the new album yet, I suspect they're going to struggle without Uli Kusch, though. He's written all the best tracks from the last few albums.

Yeah, maybe you're right, I suppose in the UK they're not that big... not sure whether to be happy or sad about that. :tickled:

The new album is pretty good, by the way. They may not have Uli but they still have Andi and Weiki. Also, new guitarist Sascha is already starting to make his mark (particularly on Open Your Life, my favourite track on the album).

i think you all forget with your band ists that tyhe main constraint on the organisers as far as bands go is money... to get more than one band over from america is just impossible... i heard from someone very much in the know that nightwish need at least 4000 to come and play, thats for hotels and flights and stuff, and they want 70 percent of the money off the doors... now imagine what ManowaR want! face it, its not the size of the band, its the size of the bloodstock wallet... Mind you id be happy to fork out another 20 quid to get some bigger bands on...