Top 10 Bands of the Decade

BARfest

Sep 9, 2003
Visit site
Top 10 Bands of the Decade-
This is my highly subjective take on the past 10 years of tunes which are subject to change-- please feel free to chime in with your own!!

1. Dream Theater- Nothing needs to be said here- From starting out from SFAM, to ending with BCSL with a couple of style changes in between, I am absolutely blown away at the way they started and ended the decade.
2. Kamelot- This is not by number 2 band of the 10, however, the output of this band Karma, Epica, Ghost Opera to Black Halo has been incredible. Khan voice is still mesmerizing, and their formula has kept improving and remained interesting.
3. Porcupine Tree- The stylistic diversity that they show is breathtaking- They have set a new genre for many other bands like Riverside but yet still put together some memorable hook-driven songs plus searing rock and roll at times--
4. Rhapsody- They out-operaed Labrie at times, and constructed some of the best epic metal in a way that we will never see again due to the shrinking budgets of record companies and the insanity of Joey Demaio. I put this in the guilty pleasure category sometimes because I like to sing about fairies and elves, however, their classical background from the Italian soil is enough to pose as pseudo-sophisticated when I need to.
5. Pain of Salvation- OK- I am one of the only people on the planet who understood Be in its fullest. Scarsick did nothing for me, but their pre-Be output alone was enough to qualify them for a break-away from traditional progressive metal but still remaining some high-falutin concepts.
6. Iron Maiden- Starting out with Bruce back in the fold and Brave New World, and absolutely wiping the stage at Ozzfest to being immortalized with Sam from Global Metal, no band showed a recovery in this decade more than Maiden. Their music is still relavant to 18 year olds and they have the energy to match--
7. Sleepytime Gorilla Museum- No band for me expanded my horizons more than the blender mash of avant-garde rock, metal, and gypsy/pagan influences that these guys churned out. I still am processing their effect on my psyche.
8. Shadow Gallery- There will never be a more soulful voice to me in metal than Mike Baker. However, their recent output with Digital Ghosts shows me that the elements of the band can remain and grow in a new direction. Tyranny, Room V, Carved In Stone etc-- had some of the best moments in metal to me, and also accompanied many important moments of my life
9. Spocks Beard/Neal Morse- From the spiritual significance of Neals work from the early questioning of V and Snow, to the renaissance of the latest self titled Beard album with more of a classic melodic bent, the output of the group plus Neal here is stunning-- On A Perfect Day is one of the finest songs I have ever heard--
10. Epica-- If you would have asked me 5 years ago, I would put Nightwish in here, however, I really believe that Epica has shown the best ability to master the beauty and the beast vox, but also write hit songs, plus absolutely work their ass off to get to the top, plus be accessible people with none of the drama of Nightwish. The latest album put them in my top 10.
11. Opeth-- I struggle with them- -I don't listen to them often, however, their ability to make me listen to growls for the first time and enjoy them I will not forget-- Damnation is simply genius