Top 10 most underrated albums - 80-90 era

Kotov

New Metal Member
Apr 2, 2005
What is your top 10 list for the most underrated power/thrash/doom/death metal album in the 80's and 90's?

In no particular orders:

Nasty Savage "Nasty Savage"
D.B.C. "Dead brain cells/Universe"
Death Angel "Act 3"
Wehrmacht (both albums)
Dream Death "Journey into mystery"
Last Crack "Sinister funkhouse 17"
Savatage "Sirens/The Dungeons are calling"
Razor "Evil Invaders"
Hallow's Eve "Tales of Terror"
Nuclear Assault "The Plague"

I don't think the Savatage albums are underrated... Nearly everyone conciders those as 'classics"...

Some 80's stuff I think is underrated ;
Toxic : World Circus (thrash)
Hexx : No Escape (Power)
Hirax : Raging Violence (Speed/thrash)
Laäz Rockit : City's gonna Burn (thrash/power)
Znöwhite : All hail to thee (speed/thrash)
Jag Panzer : Ample Destruction (sheer power :)
Culprit : Guilty as Charged (metal)
Hawaii : One nation underground (power)
Damien Thorne : Sign of the Jackal (Power)
tec..etc...

Here's a few rock records that I think are underrated...
The Scream-Let it Scream
Motley Crue-MC '94
Union-S/t
Kiss-Carnival of Souls
Sammy Hagar-Marching to Mars
Love on Ice-Nude
Metal:
Death Angel Act III
Exodus Impact is Imminent
Iron Maiden X Factor
And there's so many more...

Depends on your view of underrated, but for me will be:

Black Knight - "Master Of Disaster"
Culprit - "Guilty As Charged"
Horcas - "Vence"
Sortilege - "Metamorphose"
Blaspheme - "Desyr De Vampir"
Abattoir - "The Only Safe Place"
Hallows Eve - "Death & Insanity"
Angel Dust - "Into The Dark Past"
Coroner - "No More Color"
Demon - "The Plague"
Gargoyle - "Nothing Is Sacred"
H Bomb - "Attaque"
Imperium - "Too Short A Season"
MD.45 - "The Craving"
Meliah Rage - "Death Valley Dream"
Mundanus Imperium - "The Spectral Spheres Coronation"
Nazareth - "Cinema"
Radakka - "Requiem For The Innocent"
Viper - "Theatre Of Fate"
Warhead - "Warhead"

I love these kinda threads...lemme dig out a few of my personal favorites that are guaranteed to make your bladder rattle and your nipples hard!!!!!!!! (mine at least!)

VAN HALEN - Women and Children First - I don't think many people give this one a chance. There are SOOOOOO many great hard rock songs that don't get radio play on this one. Take Your Whiskey Home, Romeo Delight, Fools, Loss of Control , these are songs that even some fans of Dave era don't know because all the radio plays is Ain't Talkin' Bout Love and Runnin' With the Devil. I BEG OF YOU MY FELLOW OLDSCHOOLERS, if you haven't checked this out or dusted it off in a while do your Uncle Ted a favor and give it a spin! Your boner will thank you for it!

TED NUGENT - Cat Scratch Fever - Dirty riffs and lyrics everywhere!

JUDAS PRIEST - Turbo - Lots of y'all may hate it for the commercial element but I think it's great. Some cheezy lyrics on Parental Guidance, but a great song nonetheless.

MOTLEY CRUE - Theater of Pain

KISS - Creatures of the Night - a heavy album! One word, WARMACHINE

METALLICA - Garage Inc. - Not really underrated in the commercial sense but this post Load fiasco has a great buncha covers that make you feel like they never cut their hair or started wearing eyeliner and glasses...

SOCIAL DISTORTION - WHITE LIGHT WHITE HEAT WHITE TRASH - my favorite rock album of all time. Not their most "punk" effort but these songs are great when you're feeling "down on the world again"

MIKE NESS - Cheating at Solitaire - The main man from SD's solo album. Great songs with lyrics that kill! "My whole life, I could not rearrange, my wicked ways, I could never change". That's what I'm talkin' bout, MIKEY!

JOHNNY CASH - "Cash" American Recordings - This is volume 1. Some great songs on this one including Glenn Danzig's "Thirteen". This is before he did that peckersucker's song "hurt" and started pouring wine all over turkeys. I don't know about y'all but that video gives me gas.

STEVE EARLE - Guitar Town = "hey pretty lady doncha know it ain't my fault, love to hear the steele belts humming down the asphault"

DWIGHT YOAKAM - If There Was A Way - "Turn It On, Turn It Up, Turn Me Loose" and "It Only Hurts Me When I Cry" are stone cold genious

HANK WILLIAMS JR. - Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound

and finally since this is a METAL forum,

HAMMERFALL - Crimson Thunder!

those last 3 on Sixx's are Spot on! ...
anyways
Flotsam and Jetsam - High
Iron Maiden - X-Factor
Exodus - Impact is Imminent
Judas Priest - '98 Live Meltdown
Metallica - Load/Reload ... they both would have been good if it wasnt Metallica
Metal Church - Hanging in the Balance
Pantera - Power Metal
Winger - Pull!
Warrant - Dog Eat Dog

Powermad - "Absolute Power"
Wratchchild America - "Climbing the Walls"
All Howe era Metal CHurch
Death Angel - "Act III"
Scorpions - "Savage Amusement"
Accept - "Objection Overruled"

Honorable mention:
Dream Theater - "Images and Words"
This release was one of the biggest prog-metal releases ever, but the reason I say it is underrated is because if anyone owns just one prog-metal disc, this should be it. In the US (can't really speak for Europe,) this disc put prog-metal on the map. Great disc.

Bryant

Some albums that come to my mind...

DoomSword - S/T
Although the main vocalist or the sound aren't the best you've heard, the songs crush - period!

Helstar - Nosferatu

These guys never made it as big as they should have...

Scanner - Hypertrace

Pure German Helloweenish metal, awesome stuff!

Chroming Rose - Louis XIV

Same as for Scanner

Mercyful Fate - 9
There's always mention of first two landmark albums or comeback In The Shadows, but rarely of this masterpiece!

Jag Panzer - Thane To The Throne

They may have a cult status and dedicated following, but this masterpiece is globally soooo unrecognized and underrated. If they had the marketing machinery standing behind Nightwish or Hammerfall they'd be huuuge...

SickBoy said:
Scanner - Hypertrace
Pure German Helloweenish metal, awesome stuff!

You like it? Somebody gave it to me years ago and I sold it, I found it unappealing.

I will only mention two albums. They are the first two that spring to mind.

Realm - Endless War
Anacrusis - every album!

I know Anacrusis is highly appreciated on this particular forum but in the outside world almost no one has heard of them.

Helstar-Nosferatu
Anthrax-State Of Euphoria
Savatage-Dead Winter Dead
Judas Priest-Jugulator
Overkill-I Hear Black
Queensryche-Promised Land
Deep Purple-House Of Blue Light
Celtic Frost-Cold Lake
Megadeth-Youthanaisia
Crimson Glory-S/T

abrasiverock said:
Is it just me or are some of the mentioned albums either not from the years in question or not metal at all? Anyways, mine are...

Forced Entry-As Above So Below
CIA-Attitude

Your Right 90% of mine were solidly in the 1990's and not in between 1980 and 1990 ... but it is ALL metal ... and umm oh Yeah I dont give a shit if its between 80-90 :loco: :D

abrasiverock said:
Is it just me or are some of the mentioned albums either not from the years in question

You're right! But, so far, we had fun anyways... :D

This was intended to cover "the 80's and 90's", in other words, between 1980 and 1999.

Wicked Child said:
Anthrax-State Of Euphoria
Judas Priest-Jugulator
Deep Purple-House Of Blue Light
Megadeth-Youthanaisia

You feel them underrated? Except for "Jugulator" which depending on where you're standing was a fresh idea/bad idea. The rest are very much good albums not really underrated IMO.

Deep Purple has a lot of good material since 1984, but most people still look only to the Mk.II 70's, still I don't think you can call this material underrated, maybe underviewed.

Don't mind me I'm probably not making sense tonight.:loco:

I cant believe someone would say load and reload they were underated. Oh and the black album was very average just listen to through the never da da neer da da neer da da neer over and over.

Had to edit i was drunk. these albums were way over rated.

Hell no, most of mine WEREN'T metal but the thread title didn't say top ten underrated metal albums so I ran with it....If one can't enjoy all forms of music then one is limiting oneself and/or being closeminded.........nobody has to buy them for the love of Pete I'm just saying that's my top 10. ANd they all ROCK in one way or another, metal or not. hehe

Gatorade and Vaseline
Ted