Top 10 90's death/black metal

Good list but they are right, Sort Vokter is a bit out of place. Maybe if there was a "Top 10 albums written in an under an hour without much thought behind them" it would make the cut.

I totally disagree (obviously). Sort Vokter (and Ildjarn, for that matter) may make use of a heavy dose of improvisation, but the results speak for themselves: probably the most viscerally feral musical expression ever recorded, and brilliant for it.

Unfortunately, you have to show us that it's good. You're not proving anything by tossing round silly phrases like "viscerally feral musical expression".

I love this review - pretty much says it all.
http://www.raging-metal.d2g.com/modules.php?name=MReviews&op=show&rid=84

Ildjarn, I am calling you out, man. This is unacceptable. You can't just go around putting stupid synth and guitar combos together with cheap MIDI drums and call it Folkloric Necro Metal. a) It's not "folkloric". It's redundant and boring. b) You can't repeat the same synth combo for 8 minutes. It's unheard of. Cruel and fucking unusual punishment is an UNDERSTATEMENT. This is so far beyond that that it's ridiculous that I've survived. Oh man, I can't write anymore. Really, this is just too fucking much. I'm going to have to wash myself over with good music for the next couple of weeks.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS ALBUM. IT IS A WASTE OF YOUR TIME. UNLESS BY SOME CHANCE YOU ARE A MASOCHIST, IN WHICH CASE, YOU SHOULD PROBABLY ALREADY HAVE THIS ALBUM. END TRANSMISSION.

Also, the back cover of the album says "This album was fully recorded under the influence of T.H.C., with no care for technical details,". That says it all

How about demonstrating that it ISN'T good, by, you know, citing something more than a semi-literate review whose chief complaint boils down to "OMFG!!!!!11! Drum machine!!!111!!"

His complaints are perfectly apt.

Seriously, what's the deal with repeating a few notes on a keyboard over and over for 8 minutes? There's no justification for that and it's bullshit. It reeks of a stoner sitting with bleary red eyes mumbling to himself "dude... this is sooo awesome". The whole album doesn't have one moment of melody, no harmony whatsoever and not a spark of intelligent ideas. Feral expression it may be, but so is a wild monkey taking a dump on someone's head from a tree branch.

In no particular order.

Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
Dark Tranquillity - Skydancer
Opeth - Orchid/Morningrise
Nocturnus - The Key
Emperor - In The Nightside Eclispe
Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Bathory - Blood Fire Death
Bolt Thrower - The IVth Crusade
Enslaved - Frost

His complaints are perfectly apt.

Seriously, what's the deal with repeating a few notes on a keyboard over and over for 8 minutes?

Do you even grasp the basic concept of ambient music? Like, at all?

The whole album doesn't have one moment of melody

Sure it does, it just doesn't announce its presence with trumpets and flutes and rhythmically symmetrical consonance.

no harmony whatsoever and not a spark of intelligent ideas.

Have you even listened to the album at all, or is this just sour grapes because you can't get a copy?

I totally disagree (obviously). Sort Vokter (and Ildjarn, for that matter) may make use of a heavy dose of improvisation, but the results speak for themselves: probably the most viscerally feral musical expression ever recorded, and brilliant for it.
lol

^Decent list but half of it is from the 80's.

Apparently, looks like 22 records listed here are actually from the 90's and only 5 are from the 80's.
There's a huge possibility I might be wrong since I don't own the original records, have em all on tapes and had to look it up on the net for the original release dates, again. My apologies.
Then, if I'm not mistaken, well...there's a huge possibility you never finished elementary school, 'cuz your math sucks dude :lol: (Yes, I'm being sarcastic tho)

Incantation - Onward to Golgotha 1992
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul (best record EVER) 1995
Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick 1991
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse 1994
Cannibal Corpse - Tomb of the Mutilated 1992 / Gallery of Suicide 1998
Cryptopsy - None So Vile 1996
Bolt Thrower - Mercenary 1998 / Realm of Chaos 1989
Deicide - Deicide 1990 - Scars of the Crucifix 2004
Carcass - Heartwork 1993
Suffocation - Pierced from Within 1995
Possessed - Seven Churches 1985
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse 1989
Entombed - Left Hand Path 89/90 - Wolverine Blues 1993
Monstrosity - Imperial Doom 1992
Malevolent Creation - The Fine Art of Murder 1998
Death - Individual Thought Patterns 1993 / Human 1991
Venom - Black Metal 80's something lol
Dismember - Death Metal 1997
Obituary - Slowly We Rot 1989
Amorphis - Tales from the Thousand Lakes 1994
Opeth - Orchid / Morningrise

^And Maiden? Would they be death or black metal? :p

About the Maiden record, well...i like it, my bad for listing them here. ;)

Seriously, what's the deal with repeating a few notes on a keyboard over and over for 8 minutes? There's no justification for that and it's bullshit. It reeks of a stoner sitting with bleary red eyes mumbling to himself "dude... this is sooo awesome".

Well, at least Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk do it well. :)

Well, I haven't heard this Sort Vokter thing so I probably shouldn't have jumped in the discussion. But yeah, I guess I was generalizing a little, their songs do develop, but many of them have long repetitive sections (not that it's a bad thing)... I'll try to look up a few examples of what I'm talking about.

No probs :)

Even if they did have sections repeated for that long, it's different from a whole song made up of one sequence. That's not even a song. All the parts of Tangerine Dream songs are there for a reason. Not just staring at the wall with the one part because it feels good when you're stoned, which is what Borix seems to think ambient is about

Entombed - Left Hand Path
Entombed - Clandestine
Entombed - Wolverine Blues
Dismember - Massive Killing Capacity
Sepultura - Arise
Sepultura - Schizophrenia Full-length (I know, from 87 but i found it in the early 90s)
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains (I know, from 89 but i found it in the early 90s)
Carcass - Heartwork
Death - Individual Thought Patterns
Amorphis - Tales From the Thousand Lakes
Amoprhis - Elegy

And im really suprised that no one has listed this album yet:

Samael - Ceremony of Opposites

Pure nostalgia for me.

You serious? Show me any Tangerine Dream or Kraftwerk song which repeats a sequence for more than a minute or two without developing it.

Show me any Ildjarn or Sort Vokter song that does either. Like most ambient composers, Ildjarn's technique has always been to build harmonic and textural variation around melodic repetition. It's not his fault that you don't pay enough attention to grasp what's actually going on.