Top 10 songs to learn for a new metalhead

I'm in a vintage thrash tribute band .. mostly older Metallica & Slayer but we do more than enough tunes from other bands / releases from the "golden age" of thrash. Anyway, I'm constantly having to learn new tunes for this band (somewhere near 50 songs right now) and if you're looking for songs that are not only fun & cool to play but also force you to improve technique I would suggest these to start with:

1. Metallica - Master of Puppets (do ALL the heavy shit with downpicking only)
2. Anthrax - In My World (easy tune to learn, fucking brutal on the downpicking)

these two alone will bring your downpicking and "chug" control up several levels

now for more technique and fluidity (fluidity? is that a word? If not it should be) in your rhythms ...

1. Megadeth - Holy Wars (I don't like Megadeth too much but this song is fucking sexy to play)
2. Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name
3. Anthrax - Be All End All (pretty tough at 1st with the downpicking, but lots of parts that go all over)
4. Metallica - Battery (same as above with some quirky changes at high speed)
5. Metallica - Dyers Eve (same as above but kinda like the advanced level)

for building up speed and endurance in your cross pickin and maybe some extra flavor in your technique...

1. Slayer - Angel of Death
2. Slayer - Postmortem / Raining Blood
3. Cyclone Temple - Why
4. Sabbat - Clerical Conspiracy (ja ja ja, I'm a fuckin fanboy ... but Sneap really was a huge influence on my playing before he was Yoda)
5. Testament - Over The Wall

Ok I know its all older stuff but as Tommy Gun had mentioned, its so much better to start at the roots of it all. And seriously I know there are some great players on here, but keep in mind what he was asking in the 1st place. He's looking for a good starting base of playing to build from

Of course if you're REALLY looking for something cool to play, learn some of my songs :D Seriously, we need another guitarist so learn them! Good luck

Cheers!

www.myspace.com/shadowdancemusic

Yeah, I don't know how in the hell I overlooked Sabbat on on my list, haha! Maybe it was done sub-consciously because this is Andy's board? Well, anyway... Yeah Andy's guitar work in Sabbat is definitely something you should put your ears to for a while, if you haven't already.

Mostly older stuff, that isnt too technical but has nice tempo changes

Dark Angel-A Subtle Induction
Suicidal Tendencies-How can I laugh tomorrow
Anthrax-Time
Metallica-Master of Puppets
Anacrusis-Paint a picture
Megadeth-Tornado of Souls
Sepultura-Arise or Mass Hypnosis
Testament-Disciples of the watch
Slayer-War Ensemble
Vio-lence-Calling in the coroner

Anthrax-Time
Slayer-War Ensemble

Now see... That's what I'm talking about! :kickass:

Thanks for all the input.
I got the POD hooked up in the line in on my computer and I can practice along with my vast music collection.

Today I learned the rhythm parts to Megadeth's "Skin O' My Teeth" and Pantera's "Mouth for War". They were in some old guitar article and so i had some good tab and such.
I worked on parts to a few more tunes as well. In fact, I never bothered ever trying to play "Crazy Train", but I fooled around with it a little too.

Slayer: At Dawn They Sleep, Angel of Death, Alter of Sacrifice and Hell Awaits
Megadeth: Wake up Dead, Hangar 18 and Sleepwalkers
Mercyful Fate: The Oath and Satan's Fall
Judas Priest: Screaming for Vengance and The Sentinel

That should be a good start.

Dudez.
I've only been posting here for a short while because I really enjoy all the recording chit-chat. As some of you know, I don't know shit about metal other than like some old school and stoner/doom sounding stuff. But even then, I have no clue really where to start when it comes to playing it because I've been playing in classic rock bands forever tuned to standard and don't really have a lot of time to dick around in B or whatthefuckever tunings.

Anyway, I've been really wanting to get into playing some more metal stuff lately just to expand my musical mind. I'm not too good of a lead player since I've always played rhythm and had to sing too, right now I do lead vocals but in the past i was always backup vocals etc... I would really like to improve my lead playing, but never can find a good practice schedule that works out, it's always on and off shit and i can't stick to it.

So, with all this junk said, what are your guys top 10 MUST KNOW songs for someone new to the world of metal guitar. I like fast thrashy stuff and I like doomy stuff. I'm completely not into metalcore and or pig destroyer sounding stuff whatever the fuck it is.

I NEED UR PRO TIPS

Thanks,
Sloan

:puke:

Since you are just getting into heavier Metal stuff... maybe
Death:: Open Casket (Kick ass rhythms!)
Slayer :: Seasons in the Abyss (Great and fairly easy guitar stuff in this tune!)
Kataklysm :: Where The Enemy Sleeps (head shaking rhythms!)
Cataract :: Denial of life (Kick ass fairly easy to play modern thrash!)

For some Old Skool guitar tunes :::
Exodus' :: Bonded in Blood CD/ cassette / album / heck 8track:lol:
Metallicas' :: Kill em' all CD/ cassette / album / heck 8track:lol:
Megadeths' :: Killing is my Buisness and buisness is good CD/ cassette / album / heck 8track:lol:
Sepultura :: Territory || Chaos AD ! Remember Max only has 4 strings on his axe!!!!
For tight ass guitar/ kick stalls :: Anything Dino is doing!

I think all these are great for trying to learn some heavy ass rhythms that are fairly easy to get. Of course there's plenty of tunes out there for speed and extreme technicality ((Necrophagist))((Origin))((Nile))((Vital Remains-Dechristianize))((the list never stops!!)) :headbang:

Good Luck and have FUN!!!

GORILLA​

1 Master of Puppets ( Learn everything from begin to end as tight as fuck )
2 Slaughter of the Soul
3 As the palaces Burn (log)
4 All against All ( haunted )
5 Raining Blood
6 War Ensemble
7 Far beyond the sun (malmsteen )
8 Cowboys from hell
9 Walk
10 The Leaper Aff... ( Opeth )

Learn all these songs from begin to end and play them as tight as a atomic clock metronome and you will be fucked by chicks lwwlzllzzlalz.

Anthrax-Time
Slayer-War Ensemble

+1 VIO-LENCE!

Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Lamb of God... and for picking alone: Iced Earth.

Specifically:

Master of Puppets + Dyers Eve.

Rust In Peace

etc etc...

I'll go playing-wise, so here goes. Oh yeah, every song should be learnt from the beginning to the end:

1) String-skipping: At the Gates - Cold
2) Fast palm muting: Fear Factory - Hunter/Killer
3) Downstrokes: Metallica - Master of Puppets
4) Tightness: Opeth - Master's Apprentices
5) Syncopation: Meshuggah - Sane
6) Sheer speed/accuracy: The Berzerker - Pure Hatred
7) Solos, level 1: Black Sabbath - Paranoid
8) Solos, level 2: Sentenced - Neverlasting
9) Solos, level 3: Metallica - Ride the Lightning
10) Solos, level 4: Dream Theater - As I Am
Secret level) Solos, level 5: Nile - Cast Down the Heretic

And don't think you'll master these songs in a few weeks/months :lol:

Pretty good shit, bro. nice description. The ATG pickup is top notch.

The doomy stoner stuff I dig is defiintely ELECTIC WIZARD, PENTAGRAM, WITCHCRAFT, GOATSNAKE, BONGRIPPER, THE SWORD (why does everyone give this band shit?!). Also, Black Sabbath

Hey, ELECTRIC WIZARD, GOATSNAKE, BLACK SABBATH are better and heavier than 99% of the stuff listed in this topic IMO!
I recommend you check out High on Fire, they are a little more metal and you can still hear their stoner roots.
For "metal standards" just learn "Slayer - Reign in Blood", some Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica and that's it :heh: !
No need to know modern shit, those band did it all over 20 years ago.