Becoming a Good Lead Player--Best Approach?

Matt Smith

THEOCRACY
Jun 11, 2004
Athens, GA
www.theocracymusic.com
OK, ever since I started playing electric guitar I've loved playing rhythm most, and I've got rhythm playing down to a science. I can play leads, but really only simplistic, "soulful" kind of stuff and cool harmony lines. I never bothered trying to learn to shred because my songwriting was (still is) the priority. But now I'm ready to take the next step and try to become a solid lead player as well. Where should I start? Getting a book and learning the different scales? Or just trying to learn solos I like by ear? Both? Something else? Hit me.

Sometimes I'll see some guy who's been playing for like 3 years and he can solo circles around me (pretty embarassing since I've been playing a lot longer), so there's got to be a way to improve my skills exponentially and quickly, especially since I'm already so familiar with the instrument and have a quick left hand just from riffing.

My suggestion would be to start learning Michael Angelo's 'No Boundaries'. It's not the most exciting of written material, but it's more or less a collection of excercises that also happen to sound somewhat decent. I'm learning both this and a Necrophagist track at the moment, and they're helping me push my playing further.

I hate to say it but being a good song writer is more important than being able to solo, and playing melodically well is more important than shredding. That said, if you take one of your melodic/feel solos and learn to play it double time, you are halfway there. Take a look a great soloist like George Lynch, he doesn't use a ton of scales but has both melody and flash. Anyone can learn techniques, loads of scales and theory. It's applying all that in a musical way that takes time and personality.

youn need this : The 'Bible' for shredders "speed mechanichs for lead guitar" by Troy Stetina, and btw , if you are a good songwritter you always will be , there's nothing wrong with shred , shred is cool ¡¡ if you can learn scales, arpegios and that stuff it can help with your songwritter skills.
just play with a metronome and be patient

(btw , sorry for my bad english :)

Moonlapse said:
My suggestion would be to start learning Michael Angelo's 'No Boundaries'. It's not the most exciting of written material, but it's more or less a collection of excercises that also happen to sound somewhat decent. I'm learning both this and a Necrophagist track at the moment, and they're helping me push my playing further.

I can't express how dissapointed I am that you didn't say "make lots of videos of yourself playing opeth songs!" :cool:

Flat Fifth Fury said:
Anyone can learn techniques, loads of scales and theory. It's applying all that in a musical way that takes time and personality.

That's exactly what I admire in players like Jeff Loomis, the ability to go 1000 mph and still you can whistle every solo!!! Or singing them.

Just going fast becomes old also very fast.

The approaches are three, anyway. Learning from videos, playing over a rhythm part in tune and the third, most challenging: playing a smoking solo very fast and when you like the solo itself trying to come up with an interesting rhythm part playing over the solo. That's VERY challenging (especially if like me you don't know a lot of theory).

Hehe.
:headbang:

yes yes, all of the above plus PRACTICE. Practice 'till your fingers are bloody, that's a good start. Then go for the hard stuff. And remember to practive accuratly, better accurate than fast at first, don't want your brain learning "wrong but fast is ok". It takes time, don't get discouraged.

paul gilbert's vidz are good caue paul gilbert teaches a 8 year old boyguitar. and that kid is around 9 years old and can shred o_O really speedy.

anyway, no boundries from angelo is really good for your arp technique and picking. also, try to build things up. like starting on not to complicated stuff ( metallica solo's etc ). then build t up to solo's from . . . Nevermore :tickled: \m/ . it has to be fun anyway

My first ones to learn were some Queensryche and Metallica solos... simple simple shit. You'll get them in no time, Matt.

I checked out a few Frank Gambale DVD's just for ideas... and, you'll definitely get a few... also, I checked out the tabs on some other guys' solos... Marty Friedman, Alex Skolnick... some dudes who ripped up some shit I felt I could play [cuz I cant sweep wortha fuck, but Im pretty quick otherwise]

Seriously, learn a shitload of 80's leads... Warren De Martini stuff, John Sykes [man, Im breaking out the old names here today!] and you start kinda picking up some ideas.

Like that one dude said... the Zakk Wylde school of pentatonics can be utilized a bit.. some.. I dont do much in way of tapping... Im still learning myself

Paul Gilberts video's were insanely helpful to me, as was John Petrucci's Rock Discipline.

One thing I can't stress enough though, is to stay away from shredding pentatonics. It ends up sound redundant and repetitive, and so many people do it already! My favorite scales are the harmonic minor, phrygian, and dominant.

J the TyranT said:
My first ones to learn were some Queensryche and Metallica solos... simple simple shit. You'll get them in no time, Matt.

I checked out a few Frank Gambale DVD's just for ideas... and, you'll definitely get a few... also, I checked out the tabs on some other guys' solos... Marty Friedman, Alex Skolnick... some dudes who ripped up some shit I felt I could play [cuz I cant sweep wortha fuck, but Im pretty quick otherwise]

Seriously, learn a shitload of 80's leads... Warren De Martini stuff, John Sykes [man, Im breaking out the old names here today!] and you start kinda picking up some ideas.

Like that one dude said... the Zakk Wylde school of pentatonics can be utilized a bit.. some.. I dont do much in way of tapping... Im still learning myself

frank gambale is really really good yeah. but did u saw thoe picture's from the 80's early 90's . . that shit is gay for fuck sake lol.

pic's:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00007CWIA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.musicnotes.com/productimg/KCHL70033.jpg

but he is increadible.