Top 120 guitarists

Aug 12, 2003
Norway
www.myspace.com
Since you complained about my top 65 list so much, I decided to make a slightly longer list, so that all of you will be pleased.
Here goes:

1. Jimi Hendrix – The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Gypsy Sun And Rainbows, Band Of Gypsys (r.i.p)
2. Ritchie Blackmore – Deep Purple, Rainbow, Blackmore’s Night
3. Brian May – Queen
4. David Gilmour – Pink Floyd
5. Jimmy Page – Led Zeppelin
6. Gary Moore – Colosseum II, G-Force, Thin Lizzy
7. Alex Lifeson – Rush
8. Yngwie Malmsteen – Steeler, Alcatrazz, Rising Force
9. Joe Satriani – Deep Purple
10. Vinnie Moore – UFO
11. Steve Vai – Frank Zappa, Alcatrazz, Whitesnake, David Lee Roth, VAI
12. Eddie Van Halen – Van Halen
13. Carlos Santana – Santana
14. Glenn Tipton – Judas Priest
15. Michael Romeo – Symphony X
16. Eric Johnson
17. K.K. Downing – Judas Priest
18. John Fogerty – Creedence Clearwater Revival
19. Pete Townshend – The Who
20. Jeff Beck – The Yardbirds
21. Tony Macalpine – Cab, Planet X, Ring Of Fire
22. John Petrucci – Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment
23. Steve Morse – The (Dixie) Dregs, Deep Purple
24. Eric Clapton – The Yardbirds, Cream, Derek and the Dominos, Delaney & Bonnie
25. Paul Gilbert – Racer X, Mr. Big
26. Mads Eriksen
27. Steve Howe - Yes
28. Shawn Lane
29. Randy Rhoads – Quiet Riot, Ozzy Osbourne (r.i.p)
30. Stevie Ray Vaughan – Double Trouble (r.i.p)
31. Stephan Forté – Adagio
32. Al Di Meola
33. Duane Allman – Allman Brothers, Derek and the Dominos
34. Nuno Bettencourt – Extreme
35. John Sykes – Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake
36. Michael Wilton - Queensrÿche
37. Chris DeGarmo – Queensrÿche
38. Keith Richards – The Rolling Stones
39. Robert Fripp – King Crimson
40. Steve Hackett – Genesis
41. Allan Holdsworth – Level 42
42. Vivian Campbell – Dio, Def Leppard
43. Tommy Bolin – Deep Purple
44. Trevor Rabin – Yes
45. John Mclaughlin – Mahavishnu Orchestra
46. Angus Young – AC/DC
47. Malcolm Young – AC/DC
48. Andy Timmons – Danger Danger
49. Steve Rothery – Marillion
50. Paul McCartney – The Beatles, Wings
51. George Harrison – The Beatles
52. John Lennon – The Beatles, Plastic Ono Band
53. Chris Rea
54. Paco de Lucia
55. Jason Becker – Cacophony, David Lee Roth
56. Marty Friedman – Cacophony, Megadeath
57. Mick Jones – The Rolling Stones
58. Dave Davies – The Kinks
59. Ray Davies – The Kinks
60. Ronnie Le Tekrø – TNT, Vagabond
61. Peter Green – Fleetwood Mac, Splinter Group
62. George Lynch – Dokken, Lynch Mob
63. Michael Angelo Batio – Nitro, Holland
64. Bruce Bouillet – Racer X
65. Brad Gillis – Night Ranger, Ozzy Osbourne
66. Brian Jones – The Rolling Stones
67. Mark Knopfler – Dire Straits
68. Marcus Nicolay Paus
69. Syd Barrett – Pink Floyd
70. Greg Howe
71. Ron Wood – The Faces, The Rolling Stones
72. Paul Kossoff – Free (r.i.p)
73. Ritchie Kotzen – Poison, Mr. Big
74. Alex Scolnick – Testament
75. Alvin Lee – Ten Years After
76. Dimebag Darrell – Pantera
77. Phil Collen – Def Leppard
78. Jake E. Lee – Ozzy Osbourne, Badlands
79. Zakk Wylde – Ozzy Osbourne, Black Label Society
80. Ty Tabor – King’s X, Platypus, The Jelly Jam
81. Adrian Vandenberg – Whitesnake, Vandenberg
82. Dave ‘The Snake’ Sabo – Skid Row
83. Scotti Hill – Skid Row
84. Billy Gibbons – ZZ Top
85. Dave Murray – Iron Maiden
86. Adrian Smith – Iron Maiden
87. Janick Gers – Iron Maiden
88. Slash – Guns ‘n’ Roses, Slash’s Snakepit
89. Timo Tolkki – Stratovarius
90. George Bellas – Vitalij Kuprij, Ring Of Fire
91. John Norum – Europe, Dokken
92. Danny Kirwan – Fleetwood Mac
93. Richie Sambora – Bon Jovi
94. Al Pitrelli – Savatage, Megadeth
95. Chris Oliva – Savatage (r.i.p)
96. Stein Arne Paulsen
97. Dave Hlubek – Molly Hatchet
98. Steve Holland – Molly Hatchet
99. Duane Roland – Molly Hatchet
100. Bobby Ingram – Molly Hatchet
101. Hank Shermann – Mercyful Fate
102. Michael Denner – Mercyful Fate
103. Rusty Cooley
104. Jarle H. Olsen
105. John Christ – Danzig
106. Matthias ‘Ia’ Eklund
107. ‘Fast’ Eddie Clarke – Motörhead
108. Kirk Hammett – Metallica
109. Luca Turilli – Rhapsody
110. James Hetfield – Metallica
111. Dave Mustaine – Megadeth
112. Andy Laroque – King Diamond, Don Dokken
113. Warren DeMartini – Ratt, Warrant
114. Reb Beach – Winger, Dokken
115. C.C. Deville – Poison
116. Jari Liimatainen – Sonata Arctica
117. Ross The Boss – Manowar
118. David Shankle – Manowar
119. Francesco Fareri
120. Jonathan Alvestad – Metal Tears

Hope you all liked it :) If anyone of you wonder about some of the guitarists on my list, just ask;I'll be more than happy to answer. :wave:

why the fuck would you say Farreri is a good guitaist? he's the worst shredder ive heard!

and thats just too much man, you dont get out much do you? :) (jk)

I don't agree with the order at all, and probably wouldn't put about half of them on my own list, but that's okay.

The thing that's not okay is that Kirk Hammett is on the list, and it's not a list of the most over-rated guitarists of all time. Kirk pretty much discredits anything he is on and any place that he is.

And you don't have Michael Schenker or Uli Roth on there. That's rather painful for me.

I'm pretty disillusioned about all this...:)

Hyoukinmono said:
I don't agree with the order at all, and probably wouldn't put about half of them on my own list, but that's okay.

The thing that's not okay is that Kirk Hammett is on the list, and it's not a list of the most over-rated guitarists of all time. Kirk pretty much discredits anything he is on and any place that he is.

And you don't have Michael Schenker or Uli Roth on there. That's rather painful for me.

I'm pretty disillusioned about all this...:)
The reason Schenker and Roth are absent, is simply that I don't have any Scorpions albums, and I haven't heard them play. The reason Hammett is there, is that his playing was pretty good on the old metallica albums, but he sucks now, I know. :devil:

Yngtchie Blacksteen said:
The reason Schenker and Roth are absent, is simply that I don't have any Scorpions albums, and I haven't heard them play.

:OMG:That's nothing less than a tragedy!!! Get some 70's era UFO or the first two Michael Schenker Group releases to hear Michael Schenker (releases after that are kind of up and down as far as showing his guitar work), and Virgin Killer, In Trance, or Taken By Force (all from Scorpions), or any of Uli/Ulrich Roth's solo or Electric Sun releases to hear Uli.

If you haven't heard either of those guys, you are REALLY missing out on a couple of true legends (not totally over-rated legends like that literally slow hand Eric Clapton fellow or other of that generic type).

And while we're on the subject of Uli Roth, what about that other master of the Sky Guitar, Helge Engelke (ex-Fair Warning, current Dreamtide)?!?!?!

Hyoukinmono said:
:OMG:That's nothing less than a tragedy!!! Get some 70's era UFO or the first two Michael Schenker Group releases to hear Michael Schenker (releases after that are kind of up and down as far as showing his guitar work), and Virgin Killer, In Trance, or Taken By Force (all from Scorpions), or any of Uli/Ulrich Roth's solo or Electric Sun releases to hear Uli.

If you haven't heard either of those guys, you are REALLY missing out on a couple of true legends (not totally over-rated legends like that literally slow hand Eric Clapton fellow or other of that generic type).

And while we're on the subject of Uli Roth, what about that other master of the Sky Guitar, Helge Engelke (ex-Fair Warning, current Dreamtide)?!?!?!
Thanks, I'll check them out! :)

Good list, glad to see Duane Allman & Chris Rea in there, also Harrison and Mark Knopfler! I would surely add Johnny Winter and Chris Brooks. Yes, Danny Kirwan was awesome. Some of my all time favs are in your list. I learned to play guitar from Fogerty's early guitar riffs (long time ago), brings back some memories. Thanks. :)

Pharoah said:
Good list, glad to see Duane Allman & Chris Rea in there, also Harrison and Mark Knopfler! I would surely add Johnny Winter and Chris Brooks. Yes, Danny Kirwan was awesome. Some of my all time favs are in your list. I learned to play guitar from Fogerty's early guitar riffs (long time ago), brings back some memories. Thanks. :)

Other than 2 songs (Fool if You Think It's Over, Julia), I don't know much about Chris Rea. Is he strictly a solo act or was he in a band at one time?

Platinum Maze said:
Other than 2 songs (Fool if You Think It's Over, Julia), I don't know much about Chris Rea. Is he strictly a solo act or was he in a band at one time?

Solo. He has always been one of those "elusive" kinds of guitarists, who concentrated more on trying to write the perfect hit song to set himself up and not flaunt his guitar abilities. But, he is very good, and one album that shows off his style well is "Road to Hell" especially if you like unique slide guitar. (he's not a Prog Metal guitarist)

I'm glad Mark Knopfler was there. He inspired me to play guitar and Sultans of Swing is one of the songs that made me fall in love with the Strat.

this comment disgusts me. why the fuck does it matter if has "slow hands"? doesnt make him any less of a song writer. personally i dont listen to clapton often, but he is a very good player. all you "shredders" need to wake the fuck up.

City said:
this comment disgusts me. why the fuck does it matter if has "slow hands"? doesnt make him any less of a song writer. personally i dont listen to clapton often, but he is a very good player. all you "shredders" need to wake the fuck up.

First, the "slow hand" comment was directed toward that old ridiculous saying that Crapton played so fast that it looked like his hands were moving slowly. The fact is, they WERE moving slowly. That was one of the early examples of him being hyped and over-rated.

Second, I never said anything about his song writing. That's unrelated to my post. I find his songs boring and unoriginal, for the most part, but that has nothing to do with his skill has a guitarist, which is what this is about.

Third, I don't know where you get the idea that he is a "very good player." He was a decent blues guitarist, but nothing special. That's about it. He was hyped into legend status.

The Edge: Another over-rated, hype-type decent guitarist. But this time with a stupid name.

Next we'll be having people complain that Ace Frehley isn't on the list...:rolleyes: