59. Zakk Wylde
60. Dave Murray
61. Adrian Smith
62. Janick Geers
63. Slash
64. Timo Tolkki
65. John Norum

I know, I know, I don't have much to do in my spare time. :D

That must've taken you ages... took me a while just to put 15 in order!

Presumably this is your personal list. Just wondering... why does Jimi Hendrix top all of these lists? I agree that he was a great guitarist, but sometimes it's as if people feel they have to give him the #1 spot.

man, macalpine must be REALLY good, he even has two places in the same LIST!!!

you also forgot number 0 aka GOD ALLAN HOLDSWORTH

Kate Bush Rules! said:

Presumably this is your personal list. Just wondering... why does Jimi Hendrix top all of these lists? I agree that he was a great guitarist, but sometimes it's as if people feel they have to give him the #1 spot.

Personally, I think Hendrix is way overrated. Sure he was great for his time, but guitar playing has come a LONG way since the 60s...I dunno why people are still so hung up on him.

Kate Bush Rules! said:

Because Jimi is my favorite guitarist ever.

I think Jimi Hendrix deserves a high spot because of his innovation only. He was never a technically gifted guitarist. He was actually quite sloppy, but he revolutionized music during his era. He was way ahead of his time and that's what made him great.

And how is it that Slash never played a solo on any of the Guns and Roses albums? If that wasn't him, whoever it was was pretty damned good, although I don't really care for GnR much at all, espcially Axl's horrible voice.

scanner313 said:
And how is it that Slash never played a solo on any of the Guns and Roses albums? If that wasn't him, whoever it was was pretty damned good
It's called "ghostplaying", meaning a musician, most likely a session player gets hired to play parts instead of the "name" players on albums. And it wasn't just the case with G'n'R, the ghostplaying thing has been going around over the years in rock 'n roll history. Similar things happened with The Eagles, Kiss, Aerosmith, Van Halen and alot of others, but I think I'll stop right here. I wouldn't want to dissapoint some people.

Dado-x said:
It's called "ghostplaying", meaning a musician, most likely a session player gets hired to play parts instead of the "name" players on albums. And it wasn't just the case with G'n'R, the ghostplaying thing has been going around over the years in rock 'n roll history. Similar things happened with The Eagles, Kiss, Aerosmith, Van Halen and alot of others, but I think I'll stop right here. I wouldn't want to dissapoint some people.

I don't question the idea of ghostplaying, but I do question it for Slash. I have seen them play live and it certainly looked like him and he could play it all just as well as it is on the record. Besides that, he has had his own solo stuff which is pretty good.

Dado-x said:
It's called "ghostplaying", meaning a musician, most likely a session player gets hired to play parts instead of the "name" players on albums.
I don't thinnk it really matters so much who plays it, as long as it was the credited guitarist who wrote it.

the_satanic_rabbit said:
I don't question the idea of ghostplaying, but I do question it for Slash. I have seen them play live and it certainly looked like him and he could play it all just as well as it is on the record. Besides that, he has had his own solo stuff which is pretty good.
Like I said, it's not a big deal. It wasn't just one guy, it was several of them who played the solos for him. Record executives want perfection in the studio, but don't give a rat's turd what happens on tour. Luckily, Slash could always work out half-assed versions of those solos live for the audience. Again, who cares what happens live? Most folks go to concerts to have a good time and see the show, not to over-analyze someone's playing. He definately looked to cool to get rid of. Image sells, he certaintly became a rock 'n' roll mascot, but trust me, that guy hadn't seen a studio until recently.
Again as I said, he's definitely not a lone case.