Top 120 guitarists

Hyoukinmono said:
First, the "slow hand" comment was directed toward that old ridiculous saying that Crapton played so fast that it looked like his hands were moving slowly. The fact is, they WERE moving slowly. That was one of the early examples of him being hyped and over-rated.

Second, I never said anything about his song writing. That's unrelated to my post. I find his songs boring and unoriginal, for the most part, but that has nothing to do with his skill has a guitarist, which is what this is about.

Third, I don't know where you get the idea that he is a "very good player." He was a decent blues guitarist, but nothing special. That's about it. He was hyped into legend status.

The Edge: Another over-rated, hype-type decent guitarist. But this time with a stupid name.

Next we'll be having people complain that Ace Frehley isn't on the list...:rolleyes:
You took the words right out of my mouth! At least somebody agrees with me.

I have to ask...

C.C. Deville and Malcolm Young? Are you kidding me?

Malcolm Young could never have existed (as a player) and AC/DC wouldn't have skipped a beat.

C.C. Deville has to be one of the all time worst guitar players in the history of metal music (if you can call Poison metal). The only other player I would consider on his level would be Mick Mars. But at least Motley Crue started off as a cool band. Poison never was.

I do like that you have Glenn Tipton and KK Downing high in the list though, and in the correct order.

I won't even comment on Michael Angelo, as his horrendously dreadful guitarwork with Nitro speaks for itself.

sorry, i was probably a bit too aggressive, i guess it wasnt totally aimed at you, i just get really pissed off when people have said "oh their slow, theyre not worth my attention". i could probably explain this a bit better but at the moment i really cant be bothered.

and to all you Poison haters, check out whats playign on my computer now :loco:

First off, i have to say to everyone bitching, make yer own goddamn list!!!! :D

Second, i have to say in response to the "kirk hammet being good in the 80's" comment or whatever, he wasn't good. he was desparately trying to mimic mustaines solo's but if you hear old old metallica bootlegs, he doesn't touch mustaine. Ok, so i'm a bit of a mustaine fanboy... fuck off!!! :lol:

It's all about preference anyway. Of course Jimi Hendrix isn't the best guitarist ever. I mean, sure, guys like that White Stripes guy shouldn't be 17 on the top 100 guitarists ever list, but you can't have a completely universal list. If it was based on technical skill, the list would suck ass too, with guys like Francesco Fareri on top.

I would have liked to see Roine Stolt on that list (The Flower Kings, Kaipa, Transatlantic). He's not a fast player at all, but his solo's are really melodic and emotional, plus he improvises most of them, which is a big plus in my book. I would have liked to see Timo Tolkki and Glibert placed higher too. Of course this whole thing is 100% subjective, so this post is moot....damn.

Oh...I would say Jimi is simply untouchable, because he opened the door for everybody after him!
Interesting list anyway...but there is somebody i absofuckinglutely miss, Mr. Steve Lukather!

How about that?

Andre

Yellowdrums said:
Oh...I would say Jimi is simply untouchable, because he opened the door for everybody after him!
Interesting list anyway...but there is somebody i absofuckinglutely miss, Mr. Steve Lukather!

How about that?

Andre
What can I say? I forgot to put him on the list, sorry!

Jimi Hendrix opened up the door for other hippies. I think the guitar player for Janis Joplin was better. And the guitarist for the doors. The only thing jimi hendrix opened up was having the guitarist put on a show like lighting your guitar on fire. If I were to pick the best at the time musically I would definetly choose Andres Segovia the classical guitarist.

Yngtchie Blacksteen said:
Since you complained about my top 65 list so much, I decided to make a slightly longer list, so that all of you will be pleased.
Here goes:

1. Jimi Hendrix – The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Gypsy Sun And Rainbows, Band Of Gypsys (r.i.p)

Hope you all liked it :) If anyone of you wonder about some of the guitarists on my list, just ask;I'll be more than happy to answer. :wave:

Hahahahhahahahaha, are you fucking serious? You didn't even put Joe Stump on there, you fucking knob.

You just forgot Luke? Well...as sad as that is, so glad am I you agree.
The Door's guitar player...he was really good. Educated Flamenco player.
Concerning Jimi...overrated? Hm...what might he say? I wave my freak flag....high....high....(extended guitar solo!)
Anybody who shares my thought of 1983 being a killer song - perhaps Jimi's best?