Iron maidens: what bands do you listen to?

It is already out, I think. It was released at the beginning of september.

What I didn't know is that it was recorded at the same time as the first act! That treacherous Tobias Sammet has been keeping that record hidden for more than a year!!!!!

I heard one of the tracks. It sounds just like the first album (which I find normal in this case).

I heard that the last song was very long and that Sharon Den Adel had a big part in it. I can't wait to hear that one!

Hmmmm...

my favorite bands
1)MEGADETH

2)Anthrax
And then there's a huge tie for my 3rd favorite band
Halford
Priest
Maiden
Dio
Death
Alice in Chains
Alice Cooper
10)Metallica
11)Sabbath
12)Ozzy
13) Pantera.....

I have few nonmetal favorites like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden (although some of their stuff I do consider metal), and Frank Sinatra

I did not see Mel's list on here, but they are on her own website, and of course, maybe they should be on the Sinergy thread.

Who here doesn't like Maiden (Personally my faves are from the beginning with Paul thru "Somewhere In Time") and of course The Maidens ;~)

I think any good musician will have an open mind and draw from various influences. Metal wouldn't be anything without classical music, so you have to start there. Not so much into the show tunes, though (I'm a guy and not from New York, San Francisco, or Atlanta - although I can't wait for Prog III in Atlanta in November.
So of course I'm listening to a lot of Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray (and Helloween), Silent Force (they are really awesome), Zero Hour (they aren't as well known, but they will be, they will be...)
All metal is worth a listen, at least once or twice. Then, a year or so later, if at first you don't like a band, listen again, just to see if you might have broadened your horizons.
Keep An Open Mind!!!!

Originally posted by matcauthron

By the way, I saw Accept mentionned on that thread. That's a band I still don't know well. Any advice for a first album to buy? Thanks!

I've not heard the live album that smylex mentioned, however, "Russian Roulette" is a favorite and no doubt a great album. Good ol' Udo!

Originally posted by Hyp0Critical
are you sure avantasia has been released? i thought it was only released in europe so far but north america. unless of course you live in europe then that would make sense

In fact, yes, I'm from Europe. I didn't know the release was differed in the US, sorry! I didn't get to listen to the whole thing, but a friend of mine got it for his radio program and I should see him next week. :D

As far as Accept goes, not sure which album (if not 5 albums) it is on, but you can't go wrong with their best known song of all time, "Balls To The Wall". I saw them open for Ozzy in '84 in the states. That is about the only song I remembered. I checked them out since and they jam, but you have to really be into the NWOBHM sound of the early 80's. It mostly sounds so dated. They still kick A**.

I will have a look tonight. I know a website or two where this can be found. Thanks for the tip!

Accept is one of those old bands I've really never heard, and I really make a point of knowing at least a little of every band I can.

They are a heavy metal classic.....but true that lots of it sounds quite dated it still sounds good! Try a listen to the song "Fast As A Shark". Really super f**King heavy for it's time.

All I know is Avantasia's The Metal Opera pt.2 totally kicks your arse up to your throat...

Well, my favorites:

Iron Maiden
Iced Earth
Sonata Arctica
Avantasia
Demons & Wizards
Helloween
Children Of Bodom
I can't remember!

Balls to the wall is classic. Some other classic songs (off Russian Roulette) are:
Aim'n High (sp?)
Monster Man
TV Wars
Hmmm... I know there's more, but that's all the comes to mind. You might as well look up songs from the singer going solo. The band was called Udo (the singers name). Songs sound just about the same as Accept. Black Widow is one song that comes to mind.

Anybody remember Metal Church? I've always liked them...some classic 80's stuff. Songs like "Watch the Children Pray" and "Ton of Bricks."

Originally posted by Red Shirt

Anybody remember Metal Church? I've always liked them...some classic 80's stuff. Songs like "Watch the Children Pray" and "Ton of Bricks."

Metal Church rules!!! I like both the David Wayne and the Mike Howe era Metal Church -- great stuff. I never got to see them live, tho. :( My cosolation is that at least Reverend played a few Metal Church songs when I saw 'em a the Shack last month.

I never saw them either:( But, glad you mentioned Reverend playing a few because I'm going to make it a point to check them out. Kinda like seeing the Metal 101 play Saxon, Dio, Y&T, or even the maidens play maiden (you know, you've seen them...haha).

Originally posted by matcauthron
In fact, yes, I'm from Europe. I didn't know the release was differed in the US, sorry! I didn't get to listen to the whole thing, but a friend of mine got it for his radio program and I should see him next week. :D

WHOOO HOOO now that i'm in Europe, I finally picked up The Metal Opera Part II. I've had it in my CD player for a whole five minutes and already this thing rocks!! :) happiness...

I HAVE IT!!!! :) :) :)

I've received Avantasia Part II and the new Turilli's single today. :) I'm listening to Avantasia right now and it rocks! Exactly the same style, which is a good thing in this case...

I'm happy now! ;)

If I'm allowed a little more off-topic chatter, did you see the news on Rhapsody's website? Joey de Maio is their new manager...

Man, I really wonder what their next album will be like! :D ;)

The king of metal meeting the dragons of metal... ;)