Top 20 Death Metal Guitarists According to Decibel

Celtic Frost isn't death metal.

Sure they are. Hellhammer was the primal genetic material which begat both black and death metal. From the ashes of Hellhammer rose Celtic Frost, which, along with Possessed, did more than any other band in that mid-80s to delineate the boundaries as well as the basic technique and structure of death metal during its formative period. It's worth noting here that Asphyx, Autopsy and Obituary achieved prominence by elaborating on the basic style pioneered by Morbid Tales - To Mega Therion era Celtic Frost.

I like to consider Celtic Frost a proto-death metal band. Certainly quite a few features of their sound formed a significant part of what became the template for death metal music. Mind you, they have roots in thrash metal, but they deviated pretty significantly from typical thrash metal I believe.

They don't even really have their roots in speed (thrash) metal though. Hellhammer emerged at the same time as the early speed metal acts, but their style was always distinctly different and drawing on subtly different influences.

Speed Metal = Judas Priest + Motorhead + The Misfits

Hellhammer/Celtic Frost = Venom + Angel Witch + Black Sabbath + Discharge + Amebix

Sure they are. Hellhammer was the primal genetic material which begat both black and death metal. From the ashes of Hellhammer rose Celtic Frost, which, along with Possessed, did more than any other band in that mid-80s to delineate the boundaries as well as the basic technique and structure of death metal during its formative period. It's worth noting here that Asphyx, Autopsy and Obituary achieved prominence by elaborating on the basic style pioneered by Morbid Tales - To Mega Therion era Celtic Frost.

Yeah, Totally forget how possesed realeased "The Seven Churches" in 1985 aswell (As "To Mega Therion") and how Death Realeased "Scream Bloody Gore" two years after. And How Obituray, Morbid Angel, Autopsy and Realeased thier first albums in 1989 And how Asphyx Realeased Thier first album in 1991.

But of course, they MUST have been drawing all on celtic frost, seeing as how NOTHING more like death metal got realeased in between. :Smug:

Listen, Celtic Frost did as much for Death Metal as Mercyful Fate did for black metal. Last time I checked, Fenriz didn't sound like his balls were being squeezed.

Yeah, Totally forget how possesed realeased "The Seven Churches" in 1985 aswell (As "To Mega Therion") and how Death Realeased "Scream Bloody Gore" two years after. And How Obituray, Morbid Angel, Autopsy and Realeased thier first albums in 1989 And how Asphyx Realeased Thier first album in 1991.

Your point is...?

But of course, they MUST have been drawing all on celtic frost, seeing as how NOTHING more like death metal got realeased in between. :Smug:

Did you even bother to read what was actually written, you dumbass?

50shekel1.jpg

I think I'm going to puke :puke:

Celtic Frost can most safely be considered thrash, but their early unorthodox form of thrash is not truly black metal or death metal, because the genres had not yet been established and they showed no lean towards either sound. But they did have a massive influence on both genres, obviously.

I think Johan Bergebäck and
Sebastian Ramstedt from Necrophobic should have been on the list.

All you guys keep talking about are Celtic Frost this, Celtic Frost that. Fuck that. No mention of Venom? They have been doing blackened Thrash for four years before CF even released Morbid Tales.

All you guys keep talking about are Celtic Frost this, Celtic Frost that. Fuck that. No mention of Venom? They have been doing blackened Thrash for four years before CF even released Morbid Tales.

The CF discussion was spawned from SoG's complaint that Tom G. Warrior wasn't included in a death metal guitarists' list. Venom's guitarists played less a trace of death metal than CF did, so Venom is irrelevant in the root discussion.

I dont really agree with the order but I agree with a lot of the choices. Origin and Pestilence dont get mentioned a lot but are two very technical death metal bands with some great gutiar work (though pestilences' spheres they used midi guitars..)