Top 20 Death Metal Guitarists According to Decibel

If you're into MP3s, can't help you - but if you want to buy it on CD, try and get the limited edition version - it comes with an excellent live CD called simply "war", recorded way back in the early 90's at a UK university.

If you're into MP3s, can't help you - but if you want to buy it on CD, try and get the limited edition version - it comes with an excellent live CD called simply "war", recorded way back in the early 90's at a UK university.

Anders Nyström and Dan Swanö should be on the list. Just because they are not into wanking their guitars and being non tasteful does not mean they are not as good as anyone on the list if not better or could not 'shred' for people who think solos represent guitar playing.

I would go as far as saying they are much better musicians than people like Chuck Shuldiner and James Murphy who just sound like anyone else who sits in a room and shreds. James Murphys solos sound like everyone elses solos and sure he is a good guitarist an all.

People like Dan Swano and Anders can write intelligent music without focusing on lead playing which makes them better guitarists because they have the talent to create original ideas and demenstrate skill in non-conventional way where just about all the guitarists on the list sound like all the same bedroom shredders who post video's on youtube.com

Esa from Amorphis is better than just about everyone on the list.

The guitarist from Necrophagist sounds and plays exactly the same as 10 thousand other shredders.

Nothing sucks more than guitarist who have no character at all.

These shouldn't be on there.

2. Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
4. Karl Sanders (Nile)
5. Anders Björler (At the Gates)
6. Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth)
9. Scott Hull (Pig Destroyer, Agoraphobic Nosebleed)
10. Erik Rutan (Hate Eternal, Morbid Angel)
12. Muhammed Suiçmez (Necrophagist)
14. Matt Harvey (Exhumed, Dekapitator, Repulsion)
17. Nergal (Behemoth)
18. Barry "Baz" Thompson (Bolt Thrower)
20. Paul Ryan (Origin)

I guess in terms of death metal are better than other death metal guitarists just not great say in terms of generally music where they would be up their with people like Tony Iommi and Jerry Cantrell,etc..

except for Mikael Åkerfeldt who is much better than anyone on the list except he's not a death metal guitarist.

Anders Nyström and Dan Swanö should be on the list. Just because they are not into wanking their guitars and being non tasteful does not mean they are not as good as anyone on the list if not better or could not 'shred' for people who think solos represent guitar playing.

I would go as far as saying they are much better musicians than people like Chuck Shuldiner and James Murphy who just sound like anyone else who sits in a room and shreds. James Murphys solos sound like everyone elses solos and sure he is a good guitarist an all.

People like Dan Swano and Anders can write intelligent music without focusing on lead playing which makes them better guitarists because they have the talent to create original ideas and demenstrate skill in non-conventional way where just about all the guitarists on the list sound like all the same bedroom shredders who post video's on youtube.com

Esa from Amorphis is better than just about everyone on the list.

The guitarist from Necrophagist sounds and plays exactly the same as 10 thousand other shredders.

Nothing sucks more than guitarist who have no character at all.

Dan Swanö was solid and stolid as long as he stuck to fairly conventional death metal, but most of his career has been wasted on mindless, self-indulgent, heterosexually challenged knob-gobblery.

And, let's face it, Blakkheim gives AIDS to pretty much everything he's involved in.

I'm not obsessed with homosexuality, I am obsessed with keeping obvious faggotry out of one of the last bastions of unfeminized, non-metrosexualized culture left in the modern world.

I'm not obsessed with homosexuality, I am obsessed with keeping obvious faggotry out of one of the last bastions of unfeminized, non-metrosexualized culture left in the modern world.

Valiant try, but I don't think good ol' DM will last much longer, as unfortunate as it sounds. Either bands are gonna go fagcore or they're just gonna quit.

Valiant try, but I don't think good ol' DM will last much longer, as unfortunate as it sounds. Either bands are gonna go fagcore or they're just gonna quit.

Maybe, maybe not. There's still a niche for the underground (Crimson Massacre leaping immediately to mind), even if it is currently dormant.

But there will sure as hell be nothing to retrieve if the mall and bathhouse friendly fare of worthless acts like Opeth and Nile continues to retain credibility among actual metalheads.

I don't understand why Opeth keeps getting fudge packed in a DM conversation, considering the fact Opeth hardly constitutes for a DM band. Even if it is the death vocals, music is the other half of the battle too.

But yeah, I agree. More obscure bands or older albums from more popular bands are much more likely to sate a Death thirst.

Maybe, maybe not. There's still a niche for the underground (Crimson Massacre leaping immediately to mind), even if it is currently dormant.

But there will sure as hell be nothing to retrieve if the mall and bathhouse friendly fare of worthless acts like Opeth and Nile continues to retain credibility among actual metalheads.

you are very amusing, keep it up.