Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis
Mutilation (Polish) - Conflict Inside
Entombed - Morning Star
Misery Index - Retaliate
Biohazard - Kill or Be Killed
Down - s/t
Down - Down II: A Bustle in your Hedgerow
Incantation - The Infernal Storm

I've listened to a lot of stuff that is new to me in the last nine and a bit years but not all released in that time. A few that I know are new and released in about the last 12 months are
Joe Bonnamassa - Sloe Gin
H.E.A.T - Heat
Black Stone Cherry - Folklore And Superstition
Guns And Roses - Chinese Democracy (I haven't been around here for a long time so haven't read what you guys thought of this one)
and of course one that's going to be in the collection and a firm favourite immediately Steel Panther - Feel The Steel
The new ones by Def Leppard, Whitesnake and Journey have all been good too but not really top 20 for me.

Mystic Force - Man vs Machine
Nevermore - Dead Heart In A Dead World
Spiral Architect - A Skeptic's Universe

Ark - Burn The Sun
Zero Hour - The Towers Of Avarice

Arch Enemy - Wages Of Sin
Immortal - Sons Of Northern Darkness

Masterplan - Masterplan
Opeth - Damnation

Cea Cerin - ...Where Memories Combine
Necrophagist - Epitaph

Kamelot - The Black Halo
Sieges Even - The Art Of Navigating The Stars

Into Eternity - The Scattering Of The Ashes
Melechesh - Emissaries

Arch Enemy - Rise Of The Tyrant
Novembers Doom - The Novella Reservoir

Arsis - We Are The Nightmare
Behemoth - At The Arena Ov Aion – Live Apostasy

Gorod - Process Of A New Decline

these are in no order but it was hard to pick someone had to miss out yes i know some of you don't like death magnetic but i do its their best stuff for over a decade

iron maiden- brave new world
the haunted -the dead eye
death angel-killing season
testament- formation of damnation
machinehead- through the ashes of empires
disturbed- believe
mortal sin- absense of faith
iced earth- the crucible of man
anthrax- weve come for you all
ill nino- one nation underground
soulfly- primitive
kreator- enemy of god
the machete- regression
metallica-death magnetic
lamb of god-ashes of the wake
katatonia-the great cold distance
the haunted- the haunted made me do it
manowar- warriors of the world
iced earth-framing armageddon
primordial- to the nameless dead

Thanks for reminding us that we're old farts :p

I'd happily take the tag of old fart to be able to say I'd lived through the 80s and been old enough to see all the great bands in their prime instead of just having to catch them on reunion (we're nearly past it but once more round the block to fund the retirement) tours. O.k. I know most of them still put on a great show (the bands that are still going) but it would have been awesome to see them in that era.

I'd happily take the tag of old fart to be able to say I'd lived through the 80s and been old enough to see all the great bands in their prime instead of just having to catch them on reunion

Thanks milady for reminding some of us that we live in the third world were we didn't see any band nor in its prime or in a reunion :erk:.

I think I must come with a new rule for the board: not allowed to make the poor ones drool :p

If this is the case then I retract my comment and apologise profusely. It was meant to make you feel better about being an old fart not worse. Sorry!

Nah, no sweat dear. Glad you're posting again here it has been a long time. What's up?

Is just that sometimes I wish people in civilized countries complaint less about shows and festivals. I bet most Europeans and Americans here had seen some bands more than three times while I haven't been able to see Motorhead or Judas Priest ever, nor I could ever saw Thin Lizzy or Black Sabbath (and never going to be able too). It's hard for an old schooler to know that you have been your whole life in the wrong place and the wrong time *sigh*

ah yes, that itunes sort by year thing does help...lol

METAL

Slania by Eluveitie
Indestructible by Disturbed
Satanic Curses by Mystic Prophecy
Dance Of Death by Iron Maiden
Astronomy by Dragonland
Stream Of Consciousness by Vision Divine
Dragonslayer by Dream Evil
Soul Temptation by Brainstorm
Shadowland by Nocturnal Rites
A Night At The Opera by Blind Guardian
Undead by Tad Morose
Awakening The World by Lost Horizon

Other
Art Of Motion by Andy Mckee
Spirit Of Ireland by David Arkenstone
Pirates by Russ Landau
Epics: History Of The World by Prague Philharmonic

...i hope my dates are right, i really dont feel like double checking

Nah, no sweat dear. Glad you're posting again here it has been a long time. What's up?

Is just that sometimes I wish people in civilized countries complaint less about shows and festivals. I bet most Europeans and Americans here had seen some bands more than three times while I haven't been able to see Motorhead or Judas Priest ever, nor I could ever saw Thin Lizzy or Black Sabbath (and never going to be able too). It's hard for an old schooler to know that you have been your whole life in the wrong place and the wrong time *sigh*

Yep a long time indeed due to many changes and a lack of both time and internet access but I'm back for now.

I guess for someone who does have oppertunities it is easy to find something else to complain about rather than being grateful for what we have. Do you get to see any bands at all where you are? never having been out of England (except for a trip to Scotland last year but that is on the same island so doesn't count) I find it hard to imagine the differences between my home and other countries. I sort of understand the wrong place wrong time part as well even though we have loads of good bands coming here at the moment the one I'd love to see is Poison and they haven't been here in around 15 years. Still holding out hopes of that one though. How are things with you other than the lack of bands? Is life treating you well?

Do you get to see any bands at all where you are?

Since I can remember (90's):

Jethro Tull
Deep Purple (Mk.V)
Hammerfall
Helloween
Dio
Iron Maiden

unluckily I was living elsewhere while Masterplan and Rata Blanca played here. And some other bands had been here but not of my interest. Or like you mentioned not in their prime.

Is life treating you well?

Not really but you get used to it :saint:.

Looking through my collection, I realised the sheer number of quality releases we have seen in this decade. I have always thought of the 80s as the glory years of metal, but I wonder if right now is not truly the golden age?

We are seeing more variation, better production and I think better general quality in songwriting/composition that we did 25 years ago.

And www has made it easier than ever to discover new bands and keep track of the scene. The 2000s ROCK! :kickass:

1 Therion: Secret of the Runes
I could name a couple of other Therion albums equally deserving, but I should name only one, this would be it. Awesome operatic vocal, true symphonic and still heavy as hell

2 Haggard: Eppur Si Muove
These guys takes the term "symphonic" to another level and this is probably their best disc.

3 Battleroar: To Death and Beyond
Epic trad/battle metal - grand & catchy and a firm favorite of mine.

4 Grand Magus: Iron Will
Heavy & catchy as hell - not one weak song on here

5 Mortal Sin: The Absence of Faith
Great melo-trash from downunder. Another reunion - if their earlier stuff is this good, I neeeeed to own it

6 Forefather: Steadfast
Pagan metal with BM roots - took me a little time to get into this, but now I stand in awe

7 Thyrfing: Hels vite
I really like the slow and tremendously heavy feel on this

8 Semlah: Semlah
Trad doom for the 2000s - somehow this feels modern compared to many other in this genre.

9 The Forsaken: After the Fall
I only discovered the Forsaken with this lp - but if the others are just half as good, I gotta have them.

10 Doomsword: Resound the Horn
Battledoom? This album is one of the best in this genre and much better than their other efforts

11 Candlemass: Death Magic Doom
The masters are back. I loved KotGI but this is more consistenly good. Hopefully a sign of great things to come…

12 Helstar: The King of Hell
While Helstar hails from the happy 80s I have just discovered them a few months ago. But they have grown on me fast.

13 Trail Of Tears: Profoundemonium
This band seems rarely mentioned on this and other forums, which is a shame as they have produced some solid albums in blackend gothic vein. This is probably their best album, but A New Dimension Of Might is a close contender

14 Within Temptation: Mother Earth
Yeah yeah, they have been on a downhill slope ever since, but this album was amazing (If not very metal)

15 Rammstein: Mutter
From the fringes of metal, these German guys just rock (And even harder live - looking forward to their concert this winter)

16 Cradle of Filth: Thornography
Many CoF fans seems to dislike this lp. I don't get it - I think there are some great tracks here. (But admittedly I have not heard much CoF)

17 Nightwish: Once
I am not a huge Nigthwish fan, but there are some amazing songs on this one.

18 Artillery: When Death Comes
As this is brand-new, I have only heard it a few times, so perhaps a bit early to included in the top list? Anyway, Artillery is back and in fine form and that in itself is worth 10 points extra

19 Heaven And Hell: The Devil You Know
They are back and how sweet it is!

20 Ensiferum: Ensiferum
Happy folk metal, great songs just a nice and very enjoyable album.