top 20 metal guitarists

I 2nd the Morello nod.

Morello isn't Metal and if so his stuff his isn't really technical, at least the stuff he made with RATM and Audioslave. I'm pretty sure he can at least shred because has shredded during some solos. I think he just chooses not to because it doesn't fit.

Well, if you mean "it shows" by the fact that Slayer created solos that weren't based on a blues scale, I guess you are right, not to be a dick!
I 2nd the Morello nod. So many people get caught up in the time-worn traditionalism of the guitar, that it seems innovation doesn't come along as often as it should.

I enjoy innovative guitar playing. I was just saying that I think slayer's guitarists suck...

But Morello, I think it pretty ill. Sometime he gets a little out of control and then it's just weird noises, but when he doesn't stray too too far from convention it's beastly.

Of course he does. And MAB sucks. I was just saying in terms of pure technical skill.

Narcissistic shit...more or less accurate.

Right, but technical skill, boring to you or not, is of sole importance were we actually talking about the 20 best guitarists and not our favorite 20. :p

I enjoy innovative guitar playing. I was just saying that I think slayer's guitarists suck...

But Morello, I think it pretty ill. Sometime he gets a little out of control and then it's just weird noises, but when he doesn't stray too too far from convention it's beastly.

I not sure how Tom Morello can be labeled a metal guitar player. He is very innovative and may be able to play circles around lots of guitar players, but the music he makes/plays is not metal. Isn't that the topic of this thread?

Morello isn't really metal...but honestly, who cares? There hasn't been a single on topic post, because this thread was asking about technical skill, not who your favorites are.

I dunno about "best", but these are my favourites and they're definitely great players

Mikael Akerfedlt
Anders Nystrom
Chuck Schuldiner
Peter Kubik
Infernus
Jon Nodtveidt
Karl Sanders/Dallas Toler-Wade
Jon Levasseur
Alex Skolnick
Luc Lemay

Favorite Guitarists.

Anders Nyström(AKA: Blakkheim) [Katatonia,Bloodbath,Diabolical Masquerade, EX Bewitched]
Esa Holopainen [Amorphis]
Jerry Cantrell [Alice In Chains]
Kenny Hickey [Type O Negative]
Mikael Åkerfeldt [Opeth]
Dan Swanö [Edge of Sanity,Nightingale,EX: Bloodbath,Pan.Thy.Monium,Demiurg,etc..]
John Christ [EX: Danzig]
Gregor Mackintosh [Paradise Lost]
Sammy Duet [Acid Bath, EX: Crowbar,Goatwhore]
Kim Thayil,Chris Cornell [Soundgarden]
Miika Tenkula [Sentenced]
Gary "Gaz" Jennings [Cathedral]
Alex Hellid [Entombed]

Mikael Akerfeldt
Pat O'Brien
Chuck Schuldiner
John Petrucci
Malmsteen