Top 10 Metal guitarist ever

Nephilim96

Nov 1, 2012
california
I know this thread will probably turn into another giant fuck fest of arguing, but with all the people debating about who's better than who and so on, might as well make a thread about it. So, who do you consider the top 10 metal guitarists in terms of skill, etc. THIS IS NOT FOR THE TOP 10 INFLUENTIAL OF ALL TIME... We don't need lists filled with Iommi, Young, etc. just because they were influential. This is supposed to be about skill and shit like that.

edit- Ment "guitarists"

Yeesh. Okay, well we're gonna have to define "skill". Are we talking straight-up technical ability or songwriting? Because there are definitely players out there who aren't going to win shred competitions but can craft riffs and melodies far superior to guys with alien fingers.

Like... take Rusty Cooley for example. Probably one of the finest straight-up shredders alive. Do you know any songs by him? Probably not, because he can't write his way out of a paper bag. So a list of the most technically adept players would have him near the top, but I wouldn't call him one of the "greatest"...

1)Chuck Schuldiner
2)Tosin Abasi
3)Jeff Loomis
4)Paul Masvidal
5)Gary Holt
5)Wacław Kiełtyka
6)John Petrucci
7)Ihsahn
8)Dave Mustaine
9)Fredrik Thordendal
10)Karl Sanders
11)Trey Azagoth
12)Christian Muenzer
13)Mikael Akerfelft
14)Paul Ryan
15)Terrence Hobbs
16)Misha Mansoor
17)Michael Romeo
18)Ron Jarzombek

No particular order, just on the top of my head...

If you don't know who Ron Jarzombek is, just listen to the last solo in this song.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zo77bDKis8&list=FLsgXnhfeo-ZtbVFWudPmc0g&index=20&feature=plpp_video[/ame]

Like... take Rusty Cooley for example. Probably one of the finest straight-up shredders alive. Do you know any songs by him? Probably not, because he can't write his way out of a paper bag. So a list of the most technically adept players would have him near the top, but I wouldn't call him one of the "greatest"...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeesh. Okay, well we're gonna have to define "skill". Are we talking straight-up technical ability or songwriting? Because there are definitely players out there who aren't going to win shred competitions but can craft riffs and melodies far superior to guys with alien fingers.

Do whatever you want for your list, I just didn't want 50 carbon copies of the Joel McIver list, which is based quite a bit on popularity, etc. There really can't be a set in stone top 10 metal guitarist, so you can do your list however you want.

I'd think a good list would be one that kind of takes both technical ability and songwriting into account. A good overall guitarist, like a John Pertucci. Somebody who has good technical ability and can write and perform amazing riffs and melodies, too.

1. Trey Azagthoth
2. Dave Mustaine
3. Chuck Schuldiner
'Nuff said.
We share similar tastes :lol:

7188_artist.jpg

You forgot.

No particular order:

1. Ihsahn
2. Akerfeldt
3. Brett Hinds
4. Adam Jones
5. Fredrik Thordendal
6. Piggy
7. Guthrie Govan
8. Trey Azagthoth
9. Adrian Smith
10. John Mitchell

No particular order:

1. Ihsahn
2. Akerfeldt
3. Brett Hinds
4. Adam Jones
5. Fredrik Thordendal
6. Piggy
7. Guthrie Govan
8. Trey Azagthoth
9. Adrian Smith
10. John Mitchell

I would hardly call Guthrie Govan a metal guitarist.

He is an amazing fusion guitarist though.

Guthrie Govan - Waves is amazing

I would hardly call Guthrie Govan a metal guitarist.

He is an amazing fusion guitarist though.

Guthrie Govan - Waves is amazing

Yeah you're right (on all counts).

You rated a pig as one of the top 10 guitarists? Is it a super pig?

He's (was) a pretty good pig - Denis D'Amour (nickname "Piggy") from Voivod. He had a a unique way of playing and gave the band their signature sound.