TOP 10 GUITARISTS

I like shredding. Sure, it has to be good music, but being fast doesn't make something automatically bad.

I suppose I'm immature. *sigh* I guess I'll go enjoy some music that I like instead of tearing up other guitarists.

Edit:
I'd also like to add that I have never heard Michael Romeo play a slow solo, and we're on the Symphony X forum.

And how is Planet X a good counterexample to shredding? Isn't Derek Sherinian in that band? :lol:

what you said just failed to compute with at least half of the people in this thread

I got it. He'd rather listen to what he likes than jump in on a bash fest. (I think)

Myself, for all the ideas bought out in the majority of recent posts on this topic, I have to say, this is why I enjoy Satriani so much. Lots of feel, emotion, melody, ect. but also his own bag of tricks and a fair share of what I consider tastefull fast stuff. Even though for flat out shreddin he's probably considered slow and low "skill" by shredheads. I just enjoy the way he plays.

i suspected you where one of those fusion wants-to-get-into-john-mcglaughlin's-ass type.

I had my fusion days and still enjoy it from time to time but McLaughlin is the last on my list of fusion players asses to crawl into..... he eats middle eastern food..........

I like shredding. Sure, it has to be good music, but being fast doesn't make something automatically bad.

I suppose I'm immature. *sigh* I guess I'll go enjoy some music that I like instead of tearing up other guitarists.

Edit:
I'd also like to add that I have never heard Michael Romeo play a slow solo, and we're on the Symphony X forum.

And how is Planet X a good counterexample to shredding? Isn't Derek Sherinian in that band? :lol:

I like your post Jeff...

Basically, I have a huge love and appreciation for the 'finer' playing, I play Classical guitar and am learning Jazz guitar, absolutely love Fusion... But I also enjoy shred guitar. Why? Because its fun, and I get a kick out of playing at high speeds. Do I care if anyone else likes it or not? No. But i do enjoy it sometimes, just as sometimes i enjoy classical or jazz or fusion or prog...

I like your post Jeff...

Basically, I have a huge love and appreciation for the 'finer' playing, I play Classical guitar and am learning Jazz guitar, absolutely love Fusion... But I also enjoy shred guitar. Why? Because its fun, and I get a kick out of playing at high speeds. Do I care if anyone else likes it or not? No. But i do enjoy it sometimes, just as sometimes i enjoy classical or jazz or fusion or prog...

People still use the term "Fusion"? I thought I was just an old fart....well, I am, but...oh well.

Mutherfuckinasskickinjamsyo........ Word! I love it !

Fuck it Im gonna start another topic....... This place has been kinda dull.

Why? Because its fun, and I get a kick out of playing at high speeds.
Exactly! People act like if you enjoy bitchin' speed, then you must not be able to appreciate music with an absence of hot licks.

Basically, I feel like I have well-formed opinions about music that I can back up, and I don't feel any less intelligent or sophisticated for saying, "I like this shred solo." Fuck, now that I think of it, shred's the tip of the ice burg for my unintelligent taste in music... I listened to whole albums by Motorhead and AC/DC yesterday - "Ace of Spades" and "Big Balls" aren't exactly fucking Brandenburg Concertos.

Never underestimate the sheer awsomeness of Motorhead & Bon Scott era AC/DC....
There is NOTHING that comes close....

(Ok, I lied. the Australian band Airborne is getting a TON of play time at home & in the car lately...GOOD AC/DC worship)

Never underestimate the sheer awsomeness of Motorhead & Bon Scott era AC/DC....
There is NOTHING that comes close....

(Ok, I lied. the Australian band Airborne is getting a TON of play time at home & in the car lately...GOOD AC/DC worship)
I'll have to check them out. 'Cause I LOVE me some Motorhead and ACDC. The songtitles on early Motorhead stuff are so sleezy and hilarious. God they fucking rock.