TOP 10 GUITARISTS

OK, I'll be nice, Joe recorded the album Surfing with the Alien in 1987, and yes he wrote all the songs and played them. Kikos version sounds a bit dry but he didnt write the song so thats to be expected. Its also poor quality but still sounded dry for feel and expression. Not sure if a quality version of Joe playing "Surfing" is around but heres Satch Boogie

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a video from "Surfing...." that shows Joe running with the feel pack of Santana, Gilmore and fill in the blank.

heres a newer song from 2000

I like Joe for what he puts into it he feels more real to me than machine like.

then theres this which has little significance on how to play guitar

All who do not know that "Surfing with the Alien" is a Satch song should be drawn, quartered, shot, stabbed, whipped, slagged, slogged, clogged (yes, with shoes), flogged, and sacked.

No hard feelings, though. :)

Well hey, I'm not a guitar player so I haven't really paid attention to him that much. The same thing happens with drummers. I usually agree with other drummers on who we like best. But guitar players and other non-drummers think that someone else is good for different reasons and they ignore the greats because they don't really listen to drums for their own sake. I don't play guitar, but I can still recognize that Satriani is a supreme master of the instrument. That said, I still like Kiko's playing better. It's just maybe the style I guess. I'm probably just listening for different things than the rest of you, and I value different things when I listen to guitar. So have mercy on me, and I will have mercy on you when you disagree with me about drums. :)

just gotta point out the fact that the title track has a clean vocal section in the middle, and 'A Fair Judgement' is exclusively clean vocals...

I think Mikael does both brilliantly, and uses both to compliment each other...

I don't consider myself a fan of Opeth...I own a few albums, saw them in concert once(snore)...but I do like the Damnation album...nice vocals and guitar playing...some good melodies...I like some selected pieces from Blackwater Park but could never find the hidden "brilliance" of Still Life. Overall I find them to be a bit dull for my taste...if I'm driving with them on, I'll be swerving halfway through the album. I'll give them their props for their abilities and uniqueness...it's just not my taste.

I don't consider myself a fan of Opeth...I own a few albums, saw them in concert once(snore)...but I do like the Damnation album...nice vocals and guitar playing...some good melodies...I like some selected pieces from Blackwater Park but could never find the hidden "brilliance" of Still Life. Overall I find them to be a bit dull for my taste...if I'm driving with them on, I'll be swerving halfway through the album. I'll give them their props for their abilities and uniqueness...it's just not my taste.

I know what you mean about still life. For some reason it is still my least favorite Opeth album. I know many will disagree but, Ghost Reveries is the best, most polished record they have ever put out. I don't see the brilliance of still life and how it is constantly hailed as their best record.

I havent heard alot of thier songs outside of Damnation, but I'll say it again Ghost of Perdition stikes me as an awesome song, through and through. Blackwater Park (song) is a cool progression but I have to be in the mood for the harshness. Ghost of Perdition I can listen to any time.

Opeth is amazing in ways that solo-career shred guitarists will never be.

But couldnt the opposite be said as well ? Excluding the "shred guitarist" part.
I mean, I've heard many instrumental recordings that are great through and through.

Opeth is amazing in ways that solo-career shred guitarists will never be.

Can't agree with that. There are far too many great solo guitarist albums...I guess it depends what you consider "shred". If you mean Rusty Cooley, Michael Angelo Batio, George Bellas, Chris Impelliteri...guys like that...then maybe you have something...but there are a ton of amazing guitarists that have released timeless classics that Opeth could never touch. Ah...you pulled me in...it's not even a fair comparison...go get him razor!:lol:

Can't agree with that. There are far too many great solo guitarist albums...I guess it depends what you consider "shred". If you mean Rusty Cooley, Michael Angelo Batio, George Bellas, Chris Impelliteri...guys like that...then maybe you have something...but there are a ton of amazing guitarists that have released timeless classics that Opeth could never touch. Ah...you pulled me in...it's not even a fair comparison...go get him razor!:lol:

:lol:

look man... its like this

:worship:

You just had to say that in a thread dominated by shred-wannabes worshipping mostly shred guitarists... :rolleyes:

:lol:

Theres a few of us that arent shred heads that wont agree with that either. Its all good. I'd probably be happier with a Dregs or DiMeola or Vaughan recording as I would Opeth, but I like them. That Akerfeldt or however its spelled is a creative interesting writer. Some damn great riffs and pickin and strummin and melodies and solos. Some stuff goes on kinda... death like... for awhile but he keeps transending into something else... much like but different from the two I named above.

If you stop and think about it the best dont shred all the time and do plenty of melodies as well.