TOP 10 GUITARISTS

Sure, I sit at home all day practicing pentatonic runs so I can one day grow up to be an asshole like Yngwie Malmsteen, my personal hero, who I have posters of all over my room. Oh yeah, and the faster I play, the better guitarist I am.

Sure, I sit at home all day practicing pentatonic runs so I can one day grow up to be an asshole like Yngwie Malmsteen, my personal hero, who I have posters of all over my room. Oh yeah, and the faster I play, the better guitarist I am.

Have we struck a proverbial "chord"?:lol:

Hey, wait...you're not a grown up?

I gave up on shredders and shredding a few years ago and haven't looked back since. In recent years I have become really fascinated with oddball chords/progressions and note choices. Planet X completely changed the way I look at music. In fact, I can go as far as saying that out of the 300+ CDs I own, the 5 PX records influenced me more than all of the others collectively. They reached into the obscure and really created amazing, organically complex music, something I feel shred has never done.

The point is, there is so much more to music than mindless scale runs and fast arpeggios. There is an infinite amount of directions music can be taken, is it really necessary to be the fastest or loudest player in the world?

I don't want to piss anyone off, this is just my opinion. If shred is your thing, that's cool. I'm not going to deny it's huge impact on music, I just don't like it in its raw form.:)

I'm not a big fan...I can appreciate the hard work and dedication...but the music can be repetitive, monotonous and boring...most of the time, not much is put into the melody or composition...it's merely a vehicle for showboating...but like everything else, there are exceptions.

The litmus test is to play it for someone who doesn't play guitar and see if they enjoy it.:lol:

Here's a good example...
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=4FkjEaEZ2Hk[/ame]
Now what the heck is blues about that?!

Here's another...
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=d4RNA1LfYbg[/ame]
This kind of stuff makes me nuts!

1. John Petrucci
2. Steve Howe
3. Michael Romeo
4. Tony Iommi
5. Richie Blackmore
6. Yngwie Malmsteen
7. Mick Box
8. Jeff Loomis
9. Daniel Cavanagh
10. John McLaughlin

Yeah I'm not grown up. I'm 11 like everyone else in this thread.

Well, how do I know? You said it...well...typed it. Don't get your panties in a bunch!:rolleyes:

Meedles is right about the Yngwie pentatonic thing, you know.:lol:

You know Meedles...we need frustrated guitarists...otherwise there would be no bass players.

Sorry, bass players...just toying.

Well, how do I know? You said it...well...typed it. Don't get your panties in a bunch!:rolleyes:

Meedles is right about the Yngwie pentatonic thing, you know.:lol:

You know Meedles...we need frustrated guitarists...otherwise there would be no bass players.

Sorry, bass players...just toying.
For serious, never checked a profile? :lol:

alrighty then..... I just dont know where to start........ let me catch my breath and I'll be rite back...........

I really can't take a lot of instrumental metal albums and shred oriented material in general. A lot of it strikes me as instrumental masturbation for the sake of it. Admittedly, there are exceptions, but I'd much rather listen to something more tasteful/engaging over technical masturbation; I could care less if the musician is a virtuoso as long as the material in question is solid.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get the fascination with Yngwie-esque shredding, it tends to bore me to tears.