Top 5 metal guitarists

1. Michael Romeo
2. Marty Friedman
3. Dirtbag Darrell
4. James Hetfield
5. Paul Gilbert

I really wanted to put Vinnie Moore in there as he is my favourite player but I don't know if he sits easily in the metal category.

Julz said:
3. Dirtbag Darrell
:tickled:

Benzine said:
4. Joe Satriani
5. John Denver
They're not metal, but I agree that John Denver is one of the fastest shredders out there. Few things give me more pleasure than to hear him sweeping arpeggios a 370 bpm, except maybe listening to him do some capo-tapping in which he uses every fret in one second!

Do any of you guys remember Michael Angelo? He was the FUCKING FASTEST guitar player I have ever seen... my head spun after seeing some of his videos. Does anyone know if he's still blistering up the fretboard? I haven't seen anything new by or about him.

Hey ShredManWalking, if you like Angelo be sure to check out Rustey Cooley. He's AS fast as Angelo (very close anyway) but he's more accuate and uses alot of different techniques aswell. He's also a very METAL player as he can get some killer 7-string riffs (aswell as useing the 7th string to extend his lead idea's) check him out here. www.rustycooley.com Also watch his videos at www.chopsfromhell.com

Kate Bush Rules! said:
I don't think that John Petrucci would ever write a song with an intro as tasteless as that of "Smoke And Mirrors".

Tasteless? In what way? I can't wait to hear this.

And, I just hope you are referring to Kali the fourth age and not the band. THAT is tasteless.

IMO, of course!

P.S. Take a listen to Scarlatti's K. 427 Presto, then listen to the intro in question once more. I'd be interested to hear what your "opinion" of that is. And remember, Scarlatti didn't have more than a harpsichord that had only two registors and a possible three colors. (the two reg's seperatley, and the combined sound of the two together!)

Polyeidus said:
Tasteless? In what way? I can't wait to hear this.

And, I just hope you are referring to Kali the fourth age and not the band. THAT is tasteless.
It sounds totally cheesy, and I don't think it is particularly musical. They could have started off that song WAY better.

"Kali Yuga" is a song by Aghora.

In no particular order:

Michael Schenker

one of the very first guitarists I've learned to respect.

John Petrucci(Dream Theater)

not as innovative as Malmsteen(in my opinion), but can still blow me away on songs like DT's "Pull Me Under" and LTE's "Acid Rain".

Michael Romeo(Symphony X)

I've no words for this guy. as I've asserted, he can go toe-to-toe with Petrucci anytime.

Tomi Koivusaari(Amorphis)

I listen to few rhythm guitar players. this guy is one of them--I absolutely loved his playing in "Tuonela" and "Far from the Sun".

Marten Hagstrom(Meshuggah)

I've also a lot of respect for his ability and the fact that he's trying out 8-string guitars. no idea why the eighth string though. maybe to achieve better rhythmic parts in some songs. :D

Has anyone heard of Ralph McTell? I'd go as far as to say that he can shred FASTER than john denver. No joke. He taps with 8 fingers and 8 toes at the same time and uses a 14 string guitar. I mean this stuff is seriously good. Ralph McTell is even faster than Joni Mitchell was. Insane isn't it.

please tell me you are kidding....

No, actually I'm not. Does a rhythm guitarist have no importance in a list of the top 5 metal guitarists? as a youngster listening to earlier Metallica, I was not particularly excited about Kirk Hammetts boring and predictable blues box pentatonic solos. (You should be more surprised that he shows up alot in this thread) Hetfields riffs were a good combination of speed, aggression, control, tone.. Even his melodic harmonies were more of a challenge than Hammetts solos. Listen to the mid section of Frayed Ends of Sanity. Try playing the main riff of eye of the beholder, ALL DOWNSTROKES, no upstrokes for the whole song without missing a beat.

Benzine said:
Has anyone heard of Ralph McTell? I'd go as far as to say that he can shred FASTER than john denver. No joke. He taps with 8 fingers and 8 toes at the same time and uses a 14 string guitar. I mean this stuff is seriously good. Ralph McTell is even faster than Joni Mitchell was. Insane isn't it.
Yeah, but he can't hold a candle to Tom Delonge.