Top 10 Bassists

Since I'm not a bass player, I don't know many but here are a few
Geddy Lee
Master Thomas Miller
Master Michael Lepond

I certainly forget a lot. What I don't like is crazy slapping bassists. I hate it. I don't like slapping. No. Prefer tapping ala Miller and Lepond :)

Victor Wooten
Geddy Lee
Stu Hamm
Dave Larue - a personal favorite
Billy Sheehan - a God
Phil Bynoe
John Myung
Mike Martin - gotta give a shout out to my friend from Stride!
Andy DeLuca - ex SX, Aghora bassist.
Kristoffer Gildenlow - someone mentioned him, too bad didn't he leave PoS or get booted?
Tony Levin - his body of work is just amazing.

So many more...

Why hasn't Marcus Miller been mentioned? WTF.
At least you guys got Wooten and Pastorius. Geddy Lee, Stu Hamm and Levin. I'll stick in Troy Tipton of Zero Hour too. After seeing them live, he's one of the best in metal. But then, these other guys are monsters of rock jazz and fusion.

Yeah, bands would be crap without bassists!

1. John Paul Jones
2. Jaco Pastorius
3. Chris Squire
4. Geddy Lee
5. Les Claypool
6. Billy Sheehan
7. Tony Levin
8. Marcus Miller
9. John Myung
10. Mike Lepond

And I'll include Flea in there, even if it's one more than specified!

Since I'm not a bass player, I don't know many but here are a few
Geddy Lee
Master Thomas Miller
Master Michael Lepond

I certainly forget a lot. What I don't like is crazy slapping bassists. I hate it. I don't like slapping. No. Prefer tapping ala Miller and Lepond :)

No slapping for you? Oh well... So I guess you don't like Bootsy either. BTW, Lepond slapped part of domination at starland.

Percy Jones is darn good.

in no order-

LaRue
Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen
Ray Brown
Geddy
Sheehan
Wooten
Jaco
Jonas Hellborg
Jay Young (one of the bass teachers at my school...i think he might be department head, not sure. Truly one of the best bassists I've ever had the pleasure of hearing)
Kristoffer Gildenlow- the stuff on the first two records is why he makes this list....after those two I don't have strong feelings about him either way

My girlfriend swiped one of her dad's LPs of Brand X. She gave it back after we played it once. Had to agree with her.... boring.

Brand X may seem like subdued jazz fusion to you, and I can see that. If you want to hear him shredding fury, listen to some Firemerchants, Freak Zoid, or his solo stuff.

Harris, my buddy was into Harris, I could have killed him, always slapping the strings down on the frets. Though Harris did a better job of it I couldnt understand the idea behind the technique. I figured - we already have a drummer, I want a solid bass sound to cover my ass. Harris wrote great songs and played the hell out of a bass with a pointless technique, thats how I view him.

That buckethead was cool
Im always partial to my origional favorites

fretless/eyes closed

Last edited by a moderator:
some twenty years earlier cutting his teeth as a writer and player... give the whole thing a chance, it expands

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate shred. No, rather I think Brand X sucks compared to good fusion.

I agree. I have heard Moroccan Roll a few times and it bores the hell out of me. There was a lot better fusion back in the day like Mahavishnu Orchestra and Return To Forever and even better fusion now a days.

1. John Myung (duh)
2. Vortex (Dimmu Borgir)
3. Ryan Martinie (mudvayne)
4. Stefan Fimmers (necrophagist)
5. Jim Sheppard (Nevermore, Sanctuary)
6. Marco Hetala (Nightwish, Tarot)
7. Jari Kainulainen (Startovarius)
8. Michael Lepond (Ummm)
9. Victor Wooten
10. Dominique "Forest" Lapointe (Quo Vadis)

I used "shred" as a word for playin real good. Not as the sub genre of "shred". There's lots of good fusion too. You have stuff like Mahavishnu , Aquarium Rescue Unit, Dixie Dregs, Shawn Lane, the list goes on and on...