top 20 metal guitarists

lasse. who do you think is better roppe or alexi

Well.. I don't know.. I haven't really heard Roope play solos etc. Almost only the one on Chaos Ridden Years, and one where Alexi and Roope are jaming :kickass:. But I think they're both good. Can't say who's best, i would need to hear some more lead from Roope :). But I know that Roope is a great rythm guitarist.

Indeed. But the pointless sweeping is just mindless self indulgence. Also, I don't like Petrucci much either.

I don't really give a flying fuck is a solo is 'uber tech' or 'emotionally fucking jarring' or any of that stupid bullshit. If the solo sounds cool then it's a good solo. Even if it's just three notes looped over and over again, or if it's triple-harmonized neoclassical sweep arpeggios, as long as it sounds rad.

Kerry King/ Jeff Hannamen, if only because neither had any real guitar training until SoH from what I have heard.
and...
Scott Fucking Hull FTW.
Scott makes one guitar sound like 2+a bass, and he writes all of the guitar parts for every band he's been in. Fucking sick to watch him play insane riffs like most of the other "masters" wank off with solos.
Just me opinion though!

Here's my top 10!

1) John Petrucci
2) Michael Romeo
3) Jeff Loomis
4) Jason Becker
5) Yngwie Malmsteen
6) Paul Gilbert
7) Jeff Waters
8) Dimebag Darell
9) Chuck Shuldiner
10) Marty Friedman

Kristian Niemann is one of my favorite metal guitarists. The perfect blend of skill and emotion. Songs like Asgard, Dreams of Swedenborg and Three Treasures really display his prowess. I think he's really underrated.

Of course he does. And MAB sucks. I was just saying in terms of pure technical skill.

WeAreInFlames said:
some narcissistic neoclassical shit like Michaelangelo Batio
Narcissistic shit...more or less accurate.

...and it shows.

Because Petrucci just masturbates for 2 minutes in every song.
Well, if you mean "it shows" by the fact that Slayer created solos that weren't based on a blues scale, I guess you are right, not to be a dick!
I 2nd the Morello nod. So many people get caught up in the time-worn traditionalism of the guitar, that it seems innovation doesn't come along as often as it should.