Top 3 things you DON'T love about being an audio engineer

We all do this because we love it (well, most of us, anyway), but every now and then it's good to vent a bit. There are downsides to every profession and hobby, and I believe most of us have days when you consider selling your gear and begin a career as a plumber. I know I do.

Without further ado, my top 3 things that sometimes make me feel like stabbing myself in the eye with a rusty tablespoon:

1) Unreliable musicians.
Not being able to show up to the studio on time, forgetting to pay the invoice before it's due, dropping the ball on a session that's two millimeters away from being booked etc. The amount of "Hey, can you mix our songs? Oh and by the way, we have no intention to ever get back to you once you respond to this :-----D" emails I get is stupid. Asking for quotes and schedules and not liking the response is completely alright, but bailing out at the last minute before sealing the deal and not even telling why is just lame.

2) The whole DIY aspect.
Now don't get me wrong, all in all I consider it as a positive thing, and I've gotten lots of work because of the easiness of recording by yourself. The downside is, some people fail to realize they don't have to do everything themselves. That's what we are here for. We put time, dedication and passion into the craft so we can help you with your music. If you don't want to really dive into the whole audio engineering thing, please, just concentrate on what you're really good at, which is writing and performing music. Also, every musician knows someone with a cracked copy of Nuendo and Waves Mercury bundle, and that guy is really cheap, too. Yeah, wonder why.

Again, the DIY aspect is mostly a good thing in my books, and I've worked on some great projects where the band has either tracked themselves (like the latest album I mixed - awesome project, fun to work on and it turned out great!), or where I've done only the drum tracking and so on. It just has it's downsides, too.

3) "The state of the music business."
I don't think the music business is dying at all, it's just changing. Sure, big SSL rooms are constantly becoming less and less profitable, but that's because technology and knowledge are advancing constantly. I do understand that in the 70's and 80's you had to book an expensive studio if you wanted to make a record, but nowadays it isn't necessarily the case, which means the audio professionals have to adjust their business models accordingly. Smaller overheads, more affordable prices, equal money in the pocket. That's not exactly what the media tells people, though. I guess that's why I often get that "Oh, really, poor you" look when people ask me what I do. To be honest, if a dude would show up formally asking me for my hypothetical daughter's hand, and telling me he's planning to support the family by twisting funny-looking knobs to make guitars sound huge, I'd probably chase him away shooting warning shots in the air with a 19th century musket rifle and laughing manically.

Anyway, those are mine. What are yours?

1) When you know there's something wrong with your mix but can't for the live of you figure out what, or when you know what it is but don't know how to solve it

2)Getting lowballed by people with zero to no equipment

3)Prices
some of it is worth it and you can see the hours spent on the circuitry/coding/algorithms whatever, but seriously some of the audiophiles need to take a step back and look at themselves and stop blaming their gear for shitty mixes. On the flipside I LOVE the amount of decent freeware

1. Dealing with assholes

I rather spend 30 days working with sub-par but funny musicians that I get along with than 1 day working with batshit-crazy asshole primadonna. It just takes away the will to continue being an audio engineer for the project.

2. Low balling

I have tried to take the approach to my pricing that if you would make more at McDonalds for the same time, the price is too low. From what I googled, at McDonalds the average is 10.30€ an hour in Finland and starting salary is a bit below 8€

For example 100€ to mix a gig (+50€ for additional bands) is not much considering that if the gig is out of town, you first travel 1-10 hours there, then have a 2 hours for load in and soundcheck, then 1 hour for the show, x hours in between, then either spend the night over or travel straight back the 1-10 hours. Then you calculate that you just "worked" for ~24 hours for one gig, dropping the salary to ~4€. But even if working as a house engineer, the work hours are usually from 18 to 01-04, and making 10-14€ per hour is not much.

3. Editing

I hate auto tuning and hyper-realistic editing.

@ "The state of the music business": if you stop ALL recorded sound even for a day, from stuff like radio, tv, movies; people will get bonkers. It won't die, but it will evolve somehow.

Opinions other than my own (my opinions being things like: be sober during recording, play to a click) which is one reason why I'm not really an audio engineer. That and I don't like having to cover for shitty musicians.

If I ever get into recording it will be on my terms eg capturing a performance/song rather than fixing/tuning it. As such it'll prolly never happen.

1) Tracking.

I dislike almost all tracking. I just find it painfully tedious and uninspiring.

2) Never-ending recalls.

Nothing worse than minute changes that matter to nobody other than the band.

3) Not being able to get a project 'over the line'.

Due to whatever reason, just not being able to get a final mix to a place you're happy with. One of the worst feelings ever, especially if a lot of time has gone into getting a project to that point.

Not an audio engineer by any stretch of the imagination--especially when compared to most on this board but dealing with "hot shot" guitarists

1.) Bands that ALWAYS ask for rough/raw tracks, rough mixes, mixes before payment, just the drumtracks, etc, when they really don't need or have use for any of these things.

2.) Bands that book CD/EP release shows BEFORE they even book studio time. After tracking is done, they say "Oh hey can we get those mixes back in X amount of time? We have our CD/EP release show and we promised our fans new music."
X= not enough time to edit/mix/master an EP.

3.) When musicians make ridiculous requests for the mix. Like "can we get the screaming vocals to sound like they are in a big cave the whole time?"

Tracking bad uninspired musicians. It makes everything else tedious. If you have inspired and competent musos than everything else is a labor of love.

1. Tuning Vocals

2. People who are late, and expect me to stay later cause I was on time and they weren't.

3. People who try to change the payment arrangement after the work is done.

1) Clients that don't want to use a click track and really should... even though their reasoning for not wanting to is baseless.

2) clients that don't know their own songs (order of arrangement, repetitions of a part, etc. Example... drummer:"I usually wait for (the vocalist) to give me a cue when we are supposed to change to the next part so I need them here when I do my drums"... :zombie:). And/or just don't practice at all before coming in.

3) Every drummer that I have ever had to quantize. Every. One. Of. Them.

I've gone to gigs and played gigs where when I turn up it's assumed I'll do the sound, either for free or for an insulting amount. I'm kinda 50/50 live/studio guy and I'm pretty generous with my time to help further the local scene, but when this happens I get quite pissed off. Especially when my own band is playing and I end up doing sound for everyone else, then my band is left without an engineer. This has only happened me a few times but I'm pretty sure it's gonna happen again at some stage.

That situation someone mentioned above when a band is in talks with recording with you and then you never hear from them again. Has happened me a few times and it's frustrating as all hell. I don't mind if a band chooses to record somewhere else or has to postpone/canel due to any reason, I'd just like to be kept in the loop so I can make some kind of arrangment and plan.

What really annoys me is when a band tries to cram too much into the booked time. Bands assume they know how long it will take them to record X amount of songs. They think they know how long it will take with their 1-2 times previous recording experiences in different studios over your several demos/e.ps/albums worth of experience with your set up that you'll be using. Of course these booking always end up going over time and then the session takes weeks to complete as you do odd days here and there around their schedule, with them always seeming to forget that not every day is available on your end.

Had big problems in the past with musicians who had the WORST ear for tones. You'd dial in a nice sounding tone and get a mix your happy with and then they aren't happy messing with it till its a muddy mess. Often in these cases they come back a week or so later and say "played it for some mates, they thought it was a wayyy bassyy??!!??. Will you re mix it please??!1!"

1) Tracking.

I dislike almost all tracking. I just find it painfully tedious and uninspiring.

It's actually my favourite part of all sound engineering, live and studio. I love tracking. I really don't mind going over, and over parts again at all. Hearing the music take shape from the start of tracking right through till the listen through just after we've finished vocals never fails to interest me.

1. Bands that have the notion that their shitty tone can be fixed with EQ.

2. Band members who act like they know how to record because they used garageband a couple times.

3. Fuckin' vocalists. up on the mic, not on the mic. quiet as hell, then loud as shit. riding the fader for the whole track. Inconsistent performers, I should say.

1. Ridiculous band requests; be it rough mixes, product before payment, extra time to do stuff that will sound like crap, gratuitous recalls, etc.

2. People that have no idea how to articulate what they want - I understand that not everyone will have the knowledge to say "Hey, I think the top end on those vocals are a bit grating, any chance you can make them smoother?", but telling me that "the verse sounds like it's all over the place," "can you make it have more echo (it being the mix, not a specific track)," "that sounds bad," etc... do not help me at all. This generally goes hand-in hand with people telling they can't hear certain details like bass drops but are listening on laptop speakers.

3. People who don't actually have stuff fully written and expect me to help them come up with great parts on the spot, which always results in sitting there for 3 hours noodling over the same looped section and not coming up with shit.

1 - the bazillion of stupid recalls AFTER recalls because they just realized something or want to change anything.

2 - editing shitty performances as if I had a magic wand to instantly fix their playing noises, or off time performance.

3 - spending my production money on the rent, bills or college fees the day after receiving payment