Top 40 hair bands

Goreripper

Metal as fuck
Aug 24, 2001
Blue Mountains, Australia
myspace.com
I pinched this from another website:

"A few weeks ago, VH1 re aired this special from 2001, hosted by Dee Synder of Twisted Sister.

Ranked by VH1. Which means this list isn't different than their other 'countdowns'.
tongue.gif

40. Hanoi Rocks
39. Extreme
38. Jackyl
37. Steelheart
36. Night Ranger
35. Faster Pussycat
34. Autograph
33. Kix
32. Saigon Kick
31. Tesla
30. Bulletboys
29. Trixter
28. L.A. Guns
27. Stryper
26. Mr. Big
25. Danger Danger
24. Firehouse
23. Vixen
22. W.A.S.P.
21. Europe
20. The Scorpions
19. Britny Fox
18. Kiss
17. Skid Row
16. Great White
15. Lita Ford
14. White Lion
13. Whitesnake
12. Winger
11. Ratt
10. Dokken
9. Slaughter
8. Def Leppard
7. Quiet Riot
6. Warrant
5. Cinderella
4. Motley Crue
3. Bon Jovi
2. Twisted Sister
1. Poison "

Now, despite the fact I don't consider GNR to be a hair band, they should be on this list if Great White and Tesla are there. And if LA Guns and Skid Row are hair bands, how come Van Halen aren't? These countdowns are dubious at best. How are they judged? Obviously not by the extreme nature of their hair, because otherwise Nitro would be at number one, followed by Britny Fox and the Vinnie Vincent Invasion. It couldn't be by the number of hits either, because Bon Jovi and Def Leppard had more hits than Poison, and it's obviously not judged on talent either or Scorpions, Skid Row and Tesla would be closer to the top of the list than they are.

Thoughts?

I like the list except for the order really.

KISS should either be #1 or not there for a start. If you're gonna consider them a "hair band" and put them on the list, how do any of the other bands top them? Everyone else copied them but nobody could do it to the scale of KISS! And if KISS isn't a hair band then they shouldn't be on the list at all.

VVI should definitely be there. That is the 2nd crime. If Great White is there, VVI should be there. And for Great White to be higher than KISS is a crime!

As I said, there's no validation. It's almost as if they voted on the top ten or so (one of which is Dokken, who aren't really a hair band either) somehow, and then just randomly picked the others out of a hat. Great White and Tesla just aren't hair bands; neither is Night Ranger. They're barely hard rock! The Scorpions should definitely not be there, and I'd argue the inclusion of Kiss on general principle. You could argue that Ozzy and Alice went through a "hair" stage as well, and they'd be more eligible for inclusion here than someone like Danger Danger or Steelheart.

Extreme weren't a hair band either. They just got lumped in with that crowd because they were around at the same time. Would a hair band make a prog opus like III Sides? I think not!

I like glam/hair metal as much as the next guy (unless the next guy is Trent, in which case I could never compete with him) but that list is misinformed and misguided.

W

for someone who's band is not a hair band, i have never seen anyone fluff up there hair as many times as paul stanley did on monday night :)

I don't have too much of a problem with KISS being on the list, I just think if they are on the list at all they should be #1 because the INVENTED the hair band thing and nobody topped them!

Vain should fucking be there! If Great White make the list, Vain should be about 300 positions higher than them because Great White could only dream of doing an album as good as "No Respect" - one the best hands down!

No Respect is an absolute monumental album when it comes to glam!

No Shotgun Messiah - Welcome to Bop City!?

So yes a few more holes kicked into that list.

I think they need a few more courses of Hairspray overload to have a re think. Let them Eat Hairspray!